124gr9mm

Pelosi makes veiled threat to gun rights

In response to reports that Trump will declare a National Emergency to get wall funding, Pelosi implied that the move would pave the way for a Democrat President to go after guns by declaring a National Emergency.

Building a wall and a Constitutional Right are very different things, but she's an old, crazy lady so it's possible that she's tipping her hand at the agenda for the Democratic party going forward.

I think she'll definitely drive up gun sales, so retailers will be happy.

i hope she's just posturing...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-warns-republicans-trumps-national-emergency-sets-precedent-for-future-democratic-administrations

What ever occurs today will be challenged in court. Likewise with Pelosi’s hypothesis.

But I don’t think this is apples to apples comparison. Could a president declare an emergency and suspend voting? The only purpose of the government is protect the welfare and safety of its citizenry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

while she's a nutbag, she's not stupid. she knows that she nor any president cannot do that. she's talking shit hoping that trump will back down.

that said....i'm on the fence(pun intended) about the emergency thing. if he sets a precedent, it can/will be used for bad shit in the future.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

while she's a nutbag, she's not stupid. she knows that she nor any president cannot do that. she's talking shit hoping that trump will back down.

that said....i'm on the fence(pun intended) about the emergency thing. if he sets a precedent, it can/will be used for bad shit in the future.

This would do nothing to stop the next president from declaration of any NE. There is no precedent to set. They are going to do what ever they can get away with anyway regradless of what Trump does, provided they win. 

Do not think for one second that what Trump does today will have any bearing on what they will do tomorrow.... They are already planning what they will do tomorrow regardless of what happens today.

This is a thin threat, they would pull a NE on guns if they wanted to or though it would stick, regardless of what Trump's does...

I say, let these idiots continue to dig their hole... The talking points for the next election are mounting in the most wonderful way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bennj said:

There have been 58 national emergencies declared since 1976, 31 of which are still active. Obama declared 11 himself, some like DACA are clearly unconstitutional but never challenged,, how is Trump's declaration any different?

Trump’s border wall NE re-appropriates funds. Something that is Congress’s job according to the Constitution. The other NE declarations did not do that. 

8 hours ago, bennj said:

There have been 58 national emergencies declared since 1976, 31 of which are still active. Obama declared 11 himself, some like DACA are clearly unconstitutional but never challenged,, how is Trump's declaration any different?

6 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Trump’s border wall NE re-appropriates funds. Something that is Congress’s job according to the Constitution. The other NE declarations did not do that. 

And...  It's Trump.  

I've had multiple Dems in conversation that think the wall is an ok idea but are opposed to it because Trump.  No other real reason.  Just him.  Sad.

When I opposed the things Big-Daddy "O" did it was because I didn't agree with the action.  My feelings toward him were/are inconsequential to my decision.  These folks are a different breed.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I actually do want to see where this leads in court...

Have to consider that under Obama, this was widely supported by those who are denying Trump now. Get the right judge, and you might see Congress obstructing a cause for the national emergency.

While I am not going to say whether or not it was the correct method, blatantly changing views because you want to go against an elected official is wrong. If the judicial system is going to be the check/balance, so be it. However, I feel the legislature is the underlying cause of this, just like the original shutdown. Persons like Pelosi and Schumer have got too comfortable in there positions... and this is the result.

• Agree 1

I, for one, am tired of the piece meal horse playing. I’m ready for the whole ball of wax to go to the SCOTUS. I want a finial ruling on these rights and have it over with. Now granted my wish would be better served if Ginsberg would fall down a flight of stairs but I say let’s go. I’m not getting any younger. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

I think the Dems will do whatever they want when they get the chance, but it will excite them to say they did it because Trump did it.

As important as it is to get Trump re-elected no one should lose focus that equally or even more important are the next rounds of house and senate seats. If the senate goes south Trump will be just another potted plant in the White House. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

it will be hard for Trump to get elected when liberals and dead people seem to vote more than once on any given election.  Ballots are found in automobiles, etc. 

8 hours ago, BobA said:

If the senate goes south Trump will be just another potted plant in the White House. 

In reality, he's a potted plant NOW for the next two years. He won't get anything meaningful done or passed through the House.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobA said:

The senate is all he needs after Ginsberg’s demise. 

Ok so he slightly more useful than a potted plant. While justice picks are extremely important, this SCOTUS season will tell us if they actually plan on protecting the Constitution.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Ok so he slightly more useful than a potted plant. While justice picks are extremely important, this SCOTUS season will tell us if they actually plan on protecting the Constitution.

True, while SC picks are important, they only hear/argue like 70 - 80 cases a year out of the 7000 - 8000 thrown to them. What they decide has very little affect on most peoples daily life. The Constitution has turned into a floor mat in this country.

On the other hand, trade deals, economic deals, healthcare rulings, etc. HAVE an affect on most people's daily lives, so getting meaningful legislation that helps the "little people" is more beneficial. This is where he's going to be a potted plant the next two years. Don't expect anything meaningful to be passed in the near future.

• Agree 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, 1LtCAP said:

On 2/15/2019 at 9:56 PM, bennj said:

This. Trump wouldn't be setting any kind of precedent. That has been long since done. This is just the point where you get to tell the Dems told ya so. 

The only thing new this term was the way bump stocks were made NFA items. The dems could abuse the shit out of that. With that precedent sitting around, Obama's attmpt to executive order his way to gun control would have gotten a lot more answers from the brass at BATFE other than.. well all shotguns are for sale under an DD exemption, so you could make all of them DDs easily. 

• Like 1