Mrs. Peel

Reasonably Positive NY Times Article about Hunting & Millennials

The article focuses on one millennial couple who was seeking local, sustainable food sources and that led to them becoming avid hunters. (It's a trend I've been reading about in other articles as well).  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/dining/game-hunting-food.html?blockId=signature-journalism-vi&fallback=0&geoContinent=NA&geoCountry=US&geoRegion=LA&imp_id=956242959&locked=0&recAlloc=story-geo&recId=1HDpDmrWJUfHBBFxDIcbbak8FCI

Here's a key passage: 

Like many young chefs, Mr. Truong decided that he wanted to get as close to his food as possible. So nine years ago, he picked up his first hunting rifle. He took a hunter’s safety class, studied an old Army sniper’s manual and headed into the woods, he said, “overgeared and underprepared.”

After several tries, he managed to shoot his first deer. He was determined to field dress it himself. He studied images he pulled from Google, and pried a few tips out of some hunters. None of it prepared him for what the process was really like, especially how shockingly hot the inside of a deer can be.

“It was a lot for a kid who grew up on meat that was on sale,” he said.

His girlfriend, Rachel Owen, 29, didn’t grow up hunting, either. But like him, she loved fishing. The two, who got together when they worked at the same restaurant, talked about hunting on their first date.

Now, eight years later, they have 30 guns between them. They keep an empty caviar jar in a drawer near their dining room table to collect any stray shot left in a duck breast. They blog.  

--- I had to laugh that in 8 years they've already got 30 guns! Also of interest, except for a few Peta-type raging vegans, the "comments" section was fairly full of "pro-hunting" comments. (Yeah, in the NY Times! Crazy, right?) 

Anyway, it's an entertaining read for hunters and foodies alike. Here's a link to the couples' blog, too, with lots of recipes for game and fish: https://elevatedwild.com/elevatedwildblog/duckbulgogi 

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

Fewer American's hunt every year: 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/593001800/decline-in-hunters-threatens-how-u-s-pays-for-conservation 

It will be interesting to see how New Jersey substitutes their pheasant-rearing program with an outsourced solution now that the Rockport facility closed in 2018:

https://thebirdhuntingsociety.weebly.com/what-happened-so-whats-next.html 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Parker said:

Fewer American's hunt every year: 

I'm smelling a new business opportunity here.

Design a hunting robot with a iPhone app. The Millennials can sit on their back deck and control the robot from their phone so they can shoot fresh meat while updating their Facebook status...

You'll be RICH!!!

17 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I'm smelling a new business opportunity here.

Design a hunting robot with a iPhone app. The Millennials can sit on their back deck and control the robot from their phone so they can shoot fresh meat while updating their Facebook status...

You'll be RICH!!!

I believe it's already banned in most states, including the creation of a website and app. to do such in many states.  This came and fizzled pretty quick. If there isn't a specific law restricting it then the state's game code laws dictate the proper manner of fair chase. If it's not banned there are still fines associated with that manner of taking. 

On 2/15/2019 at 11:37 AM, Mrs. Peel said:

Anyway, it's an entertaining read for hunters and foodies alike. Here's a link to the couples' blog, too, with lots of recipes for game and fish: https://elevatedwild.com/elevatedwildblog/duckbulgogi 

I took a look at the blog and he had some really interesting recipes.  I will try some of them.

• Like 1

it does work the best if you like to read liberal turds on the john and you are out of toilet paper and you can find it for free laying around.  I certainly wouldn't pay for it.  The Washington Post is probably the next best thing to wipe your Feinstein face with.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

it does work the best if you like to read liberal turds on the john and you are out of toilet paper and you can find it for free laying around.  I certainly wouldn't pay for it.  The Washington Post is probably the next best thing to wipe your Feinstein face with.  

6a00d83451bab869e201156ecf2b6c970c-600wi

17 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Mrs. Peel:

Well that is a surprise.....  I guess you have decided to start back up and read The New York Times......
Bravo...!  Regardless of what one thinks of its left-leaning editorial positions, it is still, IMHO, the best newspaper in the world!

AVB-AMG

LOL! I read a variety of online news sources, from left to right, including the occasional NY TImes article. It doesn't change my opinion that the NY Times has taken a steep decline in journalistic integrity in recent years - their hiring of that blatantly racist tech editor, Sarah Jeong, being just one of the more recent egregious examples that comes to mind. The NY Times entered "Breitbart Territory" with that bonehead move IMO. That doesn't mean that I automatically assume that every NY TIme writer, editor and article is automatically flawed... no, they're just a bit suspect. ;)

Not worth reading at all.  But, hey it is suppose to be a free country and much of the Northeastern clientele  actually likes it; imagine that!   It is not a question of keeping an open mind, it shouldn't be supported.  Too bad there is a market for it.  Free lollipops for all subscribers.  And it hasn't been recent that they have taken a turd for the worst.   That Crap Show supported the Nazi Germans during the Holocaust and it is thoroughly anti-American from the top down.    Too bad it hasn't gone out of business, yet, thanks to Bloomturd and other supporters like AVG.   LOL, notice my theme?