dajonga

Any boat trailer experts here?

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, Zeke said:

The bow post you want far enough away so when you jacknife it doesn’t hit the tow vehicle. Only other thing is center mass over axle(s). The cribbing is kinda hull specific. 

Al is best for salt vs steel. 

This is a light weight boat. I wouldn’t over think it too much

if you get a leak use that rubber spray stuff on tv and send pics:D

I agree with above.  Only suggestion I would make is 30" from trailer may work for jackknifing purposes but most fresh water ramps in NJ are crap and if the boat isn't far enough from the rear of the truck you will be dunking your truck in the water when you launch.  Most salt water trailers are designed to extend the distance from tow vehicle for this reason so you aren't constantly dipping your car in salt water.  I have a ranger boat and trailer where the bow post is about 30" or so and at Spruce run and Round Valley I literally am stepping out of the truck into water....

As for what other are talking about, it is expensive to maintain a boat so suggest your son have some skin in the game.  I love fishing enough that I deal with the cost but I have a job ;)

• Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Spartiati said:

I agree with above.  Only suggestion I would make is 30" from trailer may work for jackknifing purposes but most fresh water ramps in NJ are crap and if the boat isn't far enough from the rear of the truck you will be dunking your truck in the water when you launch.  Most salt water trailers are designed to extend the distance from tow vehicle for this reason so you aren't constantly dipping your car in salt water.  I have a ranger boat and trailer where the bow post is about 30" or so and at Spruce run and Round Valley I literally am stepping out of the truck into water....

As for what other are talking about, it is expensive to maintain a boat so suggest your son have some skin in the game.  I love fishing enough that I deal with the cost but I have a job ;)

Excellent point! 

One other thing to think about and maybe you call manufacturer for help is you want to make sure you keep the tongue weight at the ball at about 10% of the boat weight or your trailer will wiggle on the highway.  So getting manufacturers recommendations I think is important to balance the boat over the axle.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, 1563621 said:

Then you have Barnegat Inlet! The worst on the east coast.

I went to Farragut (79-83), spent a lot of time on TR and going through the inlet. Mostly in small easy to maneuver sailboats and a 20' Aquasport. 

My senior year, out of the blue, one of the naval science instructors took me and three other cadets out on a WW2 vintage 50' twin diesel utility launch known as a "liberty boat".  As we approached the inlet, Cdr. Culp put me on the helm. Gave me about 5 minutes of instruction on how to operate the controls.  So, we are in the channel and the boat starts going not where I wanted it to be going and a shitton of water coming in over the bow.  It was a white knuckle struggle to get it into the bay.

After we were in calmer water, the Cdr told me that Barnaget Inlet is one of the most dangerous Inlets in the US to navigate.  AFTER!!!  I wanted to punch the fucker.  I guess if we were going to get into any real trouble, he would have taken the helm, but still.  I had no idea, based on my previous experience in the small boats, what I was in for.

45 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

After we were in calmer water, the Cdr told me that Barnaget Inlet is one of the most dangerous Inlets in the US to navigate.  AFTER!!!  I wanted to punch the fucker.  I guess if we were going to get into any real trouble, he would have taken the helm, but still.  I had no idea, based on my previous experience in the small boats, what I was in for.

I convinced wifey to go out the inlet ONCE... After that, she said never again. Depending on what tide is running at the time, that inlet can be more fun then Great Adventure!

On 2/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, 1563621 said:

Then you have Barnegat Inlet! The worst on the east coast.

That is a dangerous inlet.  I was involved in a rescue when going out sea duck hunting.  It was so rough that guy in the boat in front of us was thrown out of the boat. He had no lifejacket on and was wearing Grunden bibs that filled with water.  We got to him just in time.  He was so heavy from the trapped water that it took two of us to pull him in the boat.

• Crazy 1

I've gone out in that inlet in 21"s, 23's and 24's, If you don't know it , It is suicide!, Coming back in, depending on the tide is worse!