chic013

Advice on Air Travel with Firearm

I will be traveling to Atlanta later next week and would appreciate any advice/experiences as of late on best practices to do so.  I have my Utah Non-Resident CCW which is honored in Georgia but I do not hold a NJ CCW.  Obviously I have my NJ FID.  (Non-stop flight leaves out of Newark Airport to Atlanta Hartsfield Airport - return flight is also non-stop)

Here is what I believe I will plan to do:

- Pack firearm storage case in my checked luggage, which is a hard-sided wheel-about.

- Unloaded firearm will be stored in a "Stack-On" brand combination TSA-approved case, along with two unloaded magazines, holster and original manufacturer-boxed ammunition (50 rounds 9mm).  

- The firearm case is equipped with a cable tether that I will secure to the inner rails of my hard-sided luggage.  

- Documents I plan to have with me:  Delta Airlines policy on transport of firearms (internet), Georgia gun laws (internet), NJ gun laws (internet), FOPA (internet), my NJ FID card, my Utah CCW ID, my gun club ID, P2P copy for my firearm.  

- Uber service from my home to EWR.

- Immediately head to Delta check-in counter agent and say "I need to declare a firearm in my checked luggage". From there I would expect to be handed the declaration form/card to fill out.  I would then also expect my luggage will be separately screened away from the normal TSA security points.  If firearm/magazines are proven to be unloaded and in compliance, my luggage should be taken and processed accordingly for stowage aboard the aircraft. 

- Based on Delta policy, I may need to collect my luggage upon arrival in ATL at the luggage office in lieu of the carousel. (seems reasonable).    

For my return flight back to EWR, I would pretty much to all of the above, just somewhat in reverse obviously.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Yeah, I just did it yesterday. No big deal, as long as you follow the rules. 

Use an approved case (I use Pelican cases), and locks, YOU keep the key. Do NOT use TSA locks. 

Keep ammo in boxes, and empty mags. Ammo and mags can (should) be locked in the case with the firearm. 

Declare it when you check in. They will ask you to fill out a tag that goes inside the case. They may, or may not ask you to demonstrate the firearm is clear. I’d get a big ole orange chamber flag, it makes it easy for them to see it’s clear without you waving the firearm all over the airport ticket counter. 

They will take it to the TSA checkpoint for clearance. You should hang around for 15-20 mins to ensure they don’t have any questions or issues. 

I had to collect my rifle at the oversize luggage counter, so they could verify my ID. 

Other than that, easy-peasy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chic013 said:

Thanks folks.  I am using a 3-digit combo lockable case, so no external keys/locks.  I prefer if TSA needs access, they need me personally to open.  Don't want any issues with things missing or out of my control.  

Probably not the best idea, If they need to access the inside of the case for whatever reason during X-Ray - They dont let you into the room to open it, they simply ask for the key and go through it themselves. 

I'd rather hand them a key I get back into my possession then giving them the code to open my suitcase at any time down the line once it's out of your sight. 

11 minutes ago, chic013 said:

Thanks folks.  I am using a 3-digit combo lockable case, so no external keys/locks.  I prefer if TSA needs access, they need me personally to open.  Don't want any issues with things missing or out of my control.  

6 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

Probably not the best idea, If they need to access the inside of the case for whatever reason during X-Ray - They dont let you into the room to open it, they simply ask for the key and go through it themselves. 

I'd rather hand them a key I get back into my possession then giving them the code to open my suitcase at any time down the line once it's out of your sight.

It’s been a little while since I looked it up, but I’m 99% sure you should be the only one with access to the firearm. No TSA locks, and to be honest, I’d do a key lock with one key in your possession at all times.

If they want to open it, you go with them and open it. Never give the key to someone else for them to look into it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/trigger-words-w-ryan-cleckner/id1299836235?mt=2&i=1000419712024

I’d take a listen to this podcast episode, as the host is a Federal firearms attorney. He isn’t giving legal advice, but he does a great job explaining what is “right” and why.

• Like 1

Yeah I heard you never really want them in some other room without you present, thus my rationale for a combo lock vs. key.  I verified that my case is TSA-approved but I would consider picking up one with standard lock/key if anyone thinks it's the better route to go.  

HIGHLY recommend Pelican cases. They have reinforced lock points for your own lock. 

Personally, I wouldn’t use a combination lock of any type on my gun cases, for the reasons mentioned above. 

• Like 1

Be careful with TSA approved... especially locks. If it has the TSA key opening, TSA has access to your gun. It may be fine for your regular luggage, but you don’t want some of the guys working for TSA to have that access. It is actually policy to not have those locks securing your firearm... ok for the luggage your gun is in, though 

And I also saw a Magpul video with Chris Costa, where he made a point to show a single lock might not be the best bet. Long gun cases have multiple lock points... use them all. If you pry one side of certain cases, you might not directly be able to easily pull the gun out... but you’ll have a great spot to put something longer in to gain some leverage.

I’ll make sure to emphasize that while TSA is a Federal agency... I wouldn’t consider them the most trustworthy with luggage. Having a firearm, don’t give them the opportunity to prove how low they can go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Be careful with TSA approved... especially locks. If it has the TSA key opening, TSA has access to your gun. It may be fine for your regular luggage, but you don’t want some of the guys working for TSA to have that access. It is actually policy to not have those locks securing your firearm... ok for the luggage your gun is in, though 

And I also saw a Magpul video with Chris Costa, where he made a point to show a single lock might not be the best bet. Long gun cases have multiple lock points... use them all. If you pry one side of certain cases, you might not directly be able to easily pull the gun out... but you’ll have a great spot to put something longer in to gain some leverage.

I’ll make sure to emphasize that while TSA is a Federal agency... I wouldn’t consider them the most trustworthy with luggage. Having a firearm, don’t give them the opportunity to prove how low they can go.

I hear ya.  No, I do not intend on TSA locks.  What I have as far as a firearm case is a Stack-On model 3-digit combination wheel lock that state being TSA-approved for firearm storage.  No long gun for me on this trip, just sidearm.

30 minutes ago, chic013 said:

Thanks DT -- Any model you recommend?  I just need a small one.  Glock-43, 2 mags, holster, ammo.  I don't want a bulky one taking up too much space in my luggage.  

Look at the Pelican 1500 series cases, I’m sure one of those will suit your needs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yeah, I just did it yesterday. No big deal, as long as you follow the rules. 

Use an approved case (I use Pelican cases), and locks, YOU keep the key. Do NOT use TSA locks. 

Keep ammo in boxes, and empty mags. Ammo and mags can (should) be locked in the case with the firearm. 

Declare it when you check in. They will ask you to fill out a tag that goes inside the case. They may, or may not ask you to demonstrate the firearm is clear. I’d get a big ole orange chamber flag, it makes it easy for them to see it’s clear without you waving the firearm all over the airport ticket counter. 

They will take it to the TSA checkpoint for clearance. You should hang around for 15-20 mins to ensure they don’t have any questions or issues. 

I had to collect my rifle at the oversize luggage counter, so they could verify my ID. 

Other than that, easy-peasy.

Are the agents at check-in somewhat discreet about all this?  I certainly am not looking for enhanced attention, or as you mention having to display my firearm out around folks.  

10 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

If I was home, I’d loan you one of my cases, but I’m in Texas at the moment. 

All good.  I'm looking at the 1500 you mentioned now.  Just seems a bit bulky for what I need.  I don't travel with a large suitcase, so I prefer a smaller footprint.  Cheers.

• Confused 1

The Pelican may be a little bulky, but it will protect your gear. 

I have accidentally knocked one of my cased rifles down a full flight of stairs, and it didn’t even lose zero. Case barely got scratched. For me, Pelican all the way. 

• Agree 1

I had posted this in the ‘TSA’ thread in 1st Amendment lounge, but since you’re flying with a firearm soon, I thought you might get a kick out of this story. 

This REALLY did happen to me..

When I go to the ranch in Texas, I always take a rifle with me. An AR, properly packed and locked in a Pelican case. Leaving philly, no problem. I informed the ticketing agent I was flying with a firearm, and she had me fill out the paperwork, and sent me over to TSA for them to clear....no problem. 

On the return leg out of DFW, the TSA guys wiped down the case to check for gunpowder residue. Tested positive. Told me I couldn’t fly with my rifle, because of the gunpowder residue. 

I said, “Of course it has gunpowder residue, it’s a GUN case, with a rifle in it, which you have verified is unloaded.”

After 2 rounds with TSA ‘supervisors’, I finally found one with the common sense to realize that a gun case with a gun inside it probably does have gunpowder residue on it....and he cleared me to fly with it.

Sheesh!!! I nearly missed that flight. 

With apologies to any TSA workers we have here, but I believe the TSA to be the most useless branch of .gov we have. They are nothing but an illusion of ‘safety’. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, chic013 said:

I will be traveling to Atlanta later next week and would appreciate any advice/experiences as of late on best practices to do so.  I have my Utah Non-Resident CCW which is honored in Georgia but I do not hold a NJ CCW.  Obviously I have my NJ FID.  (Non-stop flight leaves out of Newark Airport to Atlanta Hartsfield Airport - return flight is also non-stop)

Here is what I believe I will plan to do:

- Pack firearm storage case in my checked luggage, which is a hard-sided wheel-about.

- Unloaded firearm will be stored in a "Stack-On" brand combination TSA-approved case, along with two unloaded magazines, holster and original manufacturer-boxed ammunition (50 rounds 9mm).  

- The firearm case is equipped with a cable tether that I will secure to the inner rails of my hard-sided luggage.  

- Documents I plan to have with me:  Delta Airlines policy on transport of firearms (internet), Georgia gun laws (internet), NJ gun laws (internet), FOPA (internet), my NJ FID card, my Utah CCW ID, my gun club ID, P2P copy for my firearm.  

- Uber service from my home to EWR.

- Immediately head to Delta check-in counter agent and say "I need to declare a firearm in my checked luggage". From there I would expect to be handed the declaration form/card to fill out.  I would then also expect my luggage will be separately screened away from the normal TSA security points.  If firearm/magazines are proven to be unloaded and in compliance, my luggage should be taken and processed accordingly for stowage aboard the aircraft. 

- Based on Delta policy, I may need to collect my luggage upon arrival in ATL at the luggage office in lieu of the carousel. (seems reasonable).    

For my return flight back to EWR, I would pretty much to all of the above, just somewhat in reverse obviously.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You are over thinking this....

Make sure gun is unloaded.

Go to Check In Counter.

"I need to declare an unloaded firearm"

They will give you a red tag, you fill it out. Put it in the gun case. Close it, pack up suitcase, give it to them.  They take the bag.

End of story. 

Just to add...

Sometimes they either... (depending on airport)

1. Have you take your bag to special TSA counter. (Las Vegas IIRC)

2. Have you wait for TSA supervisor to come and take the bag and scan it.  (LAS)

3. Have TSA come, take your bag and tell you you are good to go. (PHL, MCO and others)

Only once did someone ask me to show that the gun is unloaded.  Just roll with it.  Just make sure you don't show up with a LOADED gun, lol.

Oh, and don't have loose ammo or brass rolling around in the bag... that is a paperwork nightmare. 

The funniest story though was traveling through TTN.  They have one main baggage screen.  I gave my bag with gun.  Suit case had a lock, and inside suit case gun case with lock.

TSA supervisor screams... "Hey, who here checked in a gun?"

I reply, "Me"

"What's the combo?"

"Bag 223, gun case 308"

Lots of people freaked out... gun guys and military guys laughing their ass off.  TSA was chuckling.

• Thanks 1

And I have flown plenty with a brownells bag, inside suitcase, etc, etc.

Heck, I usually even board the plane with my Safariland belt, holster and mag pouches on it.  No one has ever given me a hard time or a second look.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chic013 said:

Are the agents at check-in somewhat discreet about all this?  I certainly am not looking for enhanced attention, or as you mention having to display my firearm out around folks.  

Depends...

It is all a blur now as to which airport... but at one airport the agent and TSA person had me open up the gun right there on the counter to show it is empty (but they had no clue what they were looking at).  

In other airports it was as simple as them giving you the form, you stick one in the case (don't need to open it to show anyone) and you keep the stub.

That form shows up on the xray so when the bag goes through screen and they see a gun... that form shows up on the bag screen and tells the screener that the gun was declared.

As to being discreet?  Who gives a crap... seriously.  It's just a gun.  It is not a bomb nor do you intend on causing anyone harm.   Being "discreet" merely implies that bringing a gun is somehow wrong.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chic013 said:

Yeah I heard you never really want them in some other room without you present, thus my rationale for a combo lock vs. key.  I verified that my case is TSA-approved but I would consider picking up one with standard lock/key if anyone thinks it's the better route to go.  

Best to use a keyed lock, especially at EWR.  My last trip out (last year), they took my guncase to the screening room, and requested the keys. I told them that I would open it for them, to which they said that I was not allowed in the screening room.

Now, I have traveled out of EWR dozens of times with guns, and have always been in the room to open the case; but on this occasion, they were adamant that I couldn't go in.  Rather than miss my flight and argue, I just gave them the key.

• Thanks 1

I travel with firearms multiple times a year, a handful of times i've had my bag searched. At multiple different airports across the country.

Never once have they let me in the room to open the bag, they come out to where you are waiting outside the room, ask for the key and do it themselves.

Again - They dont let you in the room, if you're lucky you can see from a distance through a window on the door. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alec.mc said:

I travel with firearms multiple times a year, a handful of times i've had my bag searched. At multiple different airports across the country.

Never once have they let me in the room to open the bag, they come out to where you are waiting outside the room, ask for the key and do it themselves.

Again - They dont let you in the room, if you're lucky you can see from a distance through a window on the door. 

Completely opposite for me at EWR, up until last year, I was always asked to open my rifle case. It could be because I have an older Kalispell case with a weird locking mechanism.

That just goes to show you how consistent TSA can be :huh: