Strider2920

Turning in Assault Rifle and Ammo

Hi guys,

My dad left a gun in my apt along with a suitcase full of ammo a decade ago when he relocated out of country. He has since passed away overseas (not recently)...and now I am trying to figure out what to do with his stuff. Something tells me that showing up at my local precinct with an ak47 and a case of ammo might be a bad idea. 

Some background: the ammo is mixed calibers...all are probably over 15 - 20 years old. I see some shotgun shells, pistol rounds, and 2 cases (I would imagine hundreds if not thousands of rounds) of what appears to be rifle rounds for the AK. I believe he acquired the AK47 from PA more than 2 decades ago, and I'm 100% sure it was done legally, though I have no paperwork to prove this. 

I've googled some gun buy-back programs (I don't need money for the guns, but the "no questions asked" bit seems like a good deal), but apparently there are no more scheduled for NJ. Also, they don't take in old ammo. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

14 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

How much do you want for it.  We can meet at a ffl and ill buy it from you.  Send me pics.  Pm me and ill give you my contact info.  Ammo also. 

Ps.  First dibs. 

Hmm, I'm going to assume what you suggest is completely legal lol. 

What is a ffl? Sorry, not a "gun guy" (though I am 100% supportive of the 2nd amendment!) 

Basically its a licensed gun dealer store.  He can do a transfer if its a regular old ak style type.   its not nj legal.  He will make it nj legal before he can hand it over to me. Its simple.  Im in central nj.  But i travel alot of the rest of the state. Ill probably pay you more than a buyback. And.  It will all be legal.  Like i said. Pm me if you’re interested.  

Strider,

You won't find anyone on this board that will advise you turning a firearm in to the police.  There are much more beneficial to you methods of disposing of it legally, like selling it for several hundred dollars instead of getting a $25 gift card at a buy back.  Furthermore, selling it to another supporter of the 2a is better for our community than having it destroyed and touted by the anti-gun community as another "military grade assault rifle" off the streets.  Don't allow it to become a statistic for their benefit.  

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Basically its a licensed gun dealer store.  He can do a transfer if its a regular old ak style type.   its not nj legal.  He will make it nj legal before he can hand it over to me. Its simple.  Im in central nj.  But i travel alot of the rest of the state. Ill probably pay you more than a buyback. And.  It will all be legal.  Like i said. Pm me if you’re interested.  

Gotcha, I'll take some photos tonight/tomorrow. Thank you for the clarification! 

Strider, first of all, you do not own an "assault rifle", unless it's a full auto capable military issue rifle, which I'm fairly sure it isn't.  This assault rifle BS is propaganda from the democrats and media on the left that want to make black guns sound scarier and freak people out.  Second, as an heir to his estate, you are perfectly entitled to own it as long as it is NJ compliant.  Even if he did not specify it in a will, all of his possessions from the estate go to the heirs.  Third, you do NOT need to have a NJ FPID card to legally posses that rifle.  Having the card makes life a little easier, but in your circumstance, it's not strictly a requirement.  Lastly, AKs are fugly guns, you should sell it to Golfbattery (through an FFL) as fast as you can and use the proceeds to buy yourself a beautiful American AR-15.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Crazy 1

44 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Strider,

You won't find anyone on this board that will advise you turning a firearm in to the police.  There are much more beneficial to you methods of disposing of it legally, like selling it for several hundred dollars instead of getting a $25 gift card at a buy back.  Furthermore, selling it to another supporter of the 2a is better for our community than having it destroyed and touted by the anti-gun community as another "military grade assault rifle" off the streets.  Don't allow it to become a statistic for their benefit.  

And that is exactly why I registered and asked this board for advice, ty!

And btw...not at all delving into politics except to say that I am a liberal who does NOT support the left's stance against the 2nd amendment...and there are more of us than the media would have you believe.

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Strider, first of all, you do not own an "assault rifle", unless it's a full auto capable military issue rifle, which I'm fairly sure it isn't.  This assault rifle BS is propaganda from the democrats and media on the left that want to make black guns sound scarier and freak people out.  Second, as an heir to his estate, you are perfectly entitled to own it as long as it is NJ compliant.  Even if he did not specify it in a will, all of his possessions from the estate go to the heirs.  Third, you do NOT need to have a NJ FPID card to legally posses that rifle.  Having the card makes life a little easier, but in your circumstance, it's not strictly a requirement.  Lastly, AKs are fugly guns, you should sell it to Golfbattery (through an FFL) as fast as you can and use the proceeds to buy yourself a beautiful American AR-15.

Lmao...I have considered owning a firearm, but like you said...definitely not the AK :)

Thank you for the info!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kman said:

This is a good gun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco_NHM_91

Made to be imported as a "sporting" rifle per federal law.  Seems to be NJ legal.

Why not keep it?  If you have had it that long, and your father has passed away,  and you are his heir, it is yours.

Thank you, but I have other mementos from my dad, and owning this (and the ammo!) is more hassle than I want to deal with right now. 

11 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

They have not been imported for decades, nor will they ever be imported again.  I'm glad it's not being turned into rebar!

That's pretty cool!

3 hours ago, Strider2920 said:

Hmm, I'm going to assume what you suggest is completely legal lol. 

What is a ffl? Sorry, not a "gun guy" (though I am 100% supportive of the 2nd amendment!) 

golfbattery's a good dude. he won't bullshit you about anything

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Strider,

Well said, triple P!

37 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I would love to see the ammo, and that Norinco will not last long here. 

I stuffed it all in a suitcase...but I'll dig em out for photos soon, thanks.

15 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’ll second that. Ed is a stand up guy. 

Good to know! I sent him a PM. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strider2920 said:

Thank you, but I have other mementos from my dad, and owning this (and the ammo!) is more hassle than I want to deal with right now. 

There's very little hassle to owning a long gun. Go to your police department and get a FID.

You should shoot this thing before you get rid of it. You might find it is a lot of fun and not want to part with it. Someone on here could meet you at a range.

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

There's very little hassle to owning a long gun. Go to your police department and get a FID.

You should shoot this thing before you get rid of it. You might find it is a lot of fun and not want to part with it. Someone on here could meet you at a range.

And someone already offered to do exactly that...which I am grateful beyond words for. However, I really have no interest in keeping this particular gun; I have a couple of life-consuming hobbies as it is (fishing and billiards lol), and not looking for another one until I retire!

17 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Keep or sell the rifle.  If you keep the rifle, keep the ammo for it, you can sell the rest on this forum.

I am definitely looking to sell the gun, waiting on Golf Battery to get back to me. A bit of an antiques roadshow situation I found myself in here...but whoever buys it will have to take ALL the ammo off my hands as well :)

Just now, Strider2920 said:

I have a couple of life-consuming hobbies as it is (fishing and billiards lol), and not looking for another one until I retire!

Owning firearms and enjoying target practice is more than just a hobby, it's a constitutional right that could save your life some day.  Just say'n ;)

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Owning firearms and enjoying target practice is more than just a hobby, it's a constitutional right that could save your life some day.  Just say'n ;)

Thank you, and no disagreement here, although with my personality I know I'll turn it into a hobby...I grew up shooting with my dad (though never that AK, I didn't even know he had it), and will be looking to get back into it in the near future...probably a pistol (or 3), and I know where to turn to for advice when that time comes. 

• Like 2

Not looking to talk you out of selling it, but that rifle will be ready to work when you retire.  Unlike just about everything else you own, this thing doesn't get outdated.  It will work 100 years from now. 

And you don't need to get a FID to own it, if you inherited it.  FID from the police only required to buy another - you can inherit without one.  So you could put it in your closet and leave it for another 20 years and it will be ready when you are.

There is something about having your father's guns...sell em and you may regret it.  But do as you wish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kman said:

FID from the police only required to buy another -

One may transport a long gun to and from a range or FFL without an FPID as long as they remain within the confines of direct transport.  An FPID does have a useful purpose beyond being able to purchase firearms.  Although it's not recommended, having an FPID on one's person does give them the right to open carry an unloaded long gun.  It also allows the FPID holder to keep a long gun in the trunk of their car at all times, as long as it's properly secured.