Strider2920

Turning in Assault Rifle and Ammo

5 minutes ago, The_Matrix said:

FYI - That rifle is a collector's item.  Do some research before you release it to the wild.  

Please, any suggestions I'm all ears. 

One guy PM'd me saying he'll pay w/e his dealer offers me. I'm assuming the dealer is the legally mandated 3rd party to any transaction with this gun? 

In any case, some more ballpark figures as to what it's worth would be appreciated. I understand everything is dependent on condition etc. 

I'd proceed very carefully. If you release this and then go into shooting someday, you will have some deep regrets to deal with. Like others have said, stick it back in storage and think about it a good long time. Do you have a kid that might want it some day?

This is going to end up like when a kid's mom throws out his baseball cards and he loses a rookie Babe Ruth. 

• Agree 1

Look at gunbroker dot com to see what that gun is selling for.  

As for the ammo. I'm sure someone here can use it. Also...You can take it to your local police station. Call them first to confirm. 

Do not mention the rifle as you are not under any obligation to do so. 

I see it like this....

Before you knew the gun existed, did you have sufficient funds to live comfortably? 

No....... sell the gun and ammo.

If yes, then pretend the gun does not exist and lock it away for a rainy day. I don't know the gun, but if people here say it is collectible, it should not depreciate over the years and may be worth more money in the future. Think of it as an investment. If the gun is worth $1000 today, it very well may be worth $2000 in 10 years. If you do get into shooting in 5, 10, 20 years.... you very well may regret selling the gun.

I say clean it, oil it and store it away properly with the ammo for it.

You can sell off the ammo you don't want here.

EDIT..... And do be mindful of magazines for the gun. If they hold more than 10 rounds, they are illegal and could jam you up in they are ever discovered.

Do not under any circumstances turn this over to the police...

1. It will end up in someones personal collection

2. It will be destroyed.

Sell it, Store it do what ever..

If you really wanna turn the gun in...I will sacrifice myself and accept it :)

4 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

Look at gunbroker dot com to see what that gun is selling for.  

As for the ammo. I'm sure someone here can use it. Also...You can take it to your local police station. Call them first to confirm

Do not mention the rifle as you are not under any obligation to do so. 

DO NOT DO THIS. Keep them out of it at all cost. You can sell the ammo here, perfectly legal . Do not invite the MAN into your life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Danno said:

DO NOT DO THIS. Keep them out of it at all cost. You can sell the ammo here, perfectly legal . Do not invite the MAN into your life.

Of course it's legal. Never said it wasn't. 

I guess I have a different experience with my local PD then you do with yours. 

5 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

Of course it's legal. Never said it wasn't. 

I guess I have a different experience with my local PD then you do with yours. 

Yeah but...offer that ammo for $5 a box and it will take you maybe 15 minutes to sell here. Nothing illegal about that. Would you walk into a police station and drop $200 on the desk?

1 minute ago, GRIZ said:

Yeah but...offer that ammo for $5 a box and it will take you maybe 15 minutes to sell here. Nothing illegal about that. Would you walk into a police station and drop $200 on the desk?

Not disagreeing one bit. Not at all. I've heard some crazy stories about what gets turned in. Some people just don't want it around them. It's crazy. Lol. Like the gun and ammo is gonna load itself and pull it's own trigger. Lol. At least that's what the media tells them. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

Wow - was not expecting a Norinco - that's a beautiful collector's gun.  Definitely find a new home for that if you do not want to keep it.  I'm sure there's already a line of people waiting to buy it.

I'll put the over/under on PMs at 8..... people asking where he's located and how much?  Lol. 

5 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

Not disagreeing one bit. Not at all. I've heard some crazy stories about what gets turned in. Some people just don't want it around them. It's crazy. Lol. Like the gun and ammo is gonna load itself and pull it's own trigger. Lol. At least that's what the media tells them. Lol. 

Surrendered or seized ammo, if servicable,  is usually consumed by the police at the range.

Contrary to what many think seized or surrendered firearms do not usually wind up in some cop's personal collection.  Does it happen?  Often in the old days but not now.  There's not many cops that want to risk their good job and pension to get a free gun.

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Good to know, thanks!

48 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

I'll put the over/under on PMs at 8..... people asking where he's located and how much?  Lol. 

You're not far off lol...also quite a few concerned members reaching out to make sure I don't get ripped off. I reserve the right to change my opinion, but so far you guys seem like a solid bunch :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Strider2920 said:

Good to know, thanks!

You're not far off lol...also quite a few concerned members reaching out to make sure I don't get ripped off. I reserve the right to change my opinion, but so far you guys seem like a solid bunch :)

Watch out for Zeke, hes not quite right in the head.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I pmd you to see what your status is on selling this.  I haven’t heard back yet.  I just want to make sure you’re not trolling.   Please forgive me if you’re not and I’ve stepped out of line.  But please do respond. Since i was the op’s first response.  

Sincerely 

me

On 2/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, Strider2920 said:

And someone already offered to do exactly that...which I am grateful beyond words for. However, I really have no interest in keeping this particular gun; I have a couple of life-consuming hobbies as it is (fishing and billiards lol), and not looking for another one until I retire!

Quick story....

Back in the 80’s when I was working 60 hours a week and raising two kids. I had an M1 Carbine that my father-in-law-law, a WWII Navy Chief Warrant Officer bought home from the war. Having no interest in firearms at the time, I gave the M1 Carbine to a distant family member, who gave it to one of his in laws. 

Long story-short, the final recipient passed away, the carbine was sold off to a stranger as part of his estate. 

Today, 25 or so years later, I find myself retired, and very much into shooting sports (and entry level collecting of classic firearms). Needless to say, I kick myself in the ass almost daily of letting go of that bring home M1 Carbine....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1