Malsua

Antique revolvers

I have these three old revolvers.  None are functional.   All are in poor condition.   Any thoughts?  Any value?  I suspect not. 

The largest is Harrington Richardson maybe a .25, larger than a .22.  No idea on model.  Has a patent date of Oct 4, 1887.

The mid size is NY pistol co, new york.  "Wide Awake".  Also larger than. 22

Smallest is "blue jacket no 1."  Pat mar 23, 1871.  Looks like a .17.  Very small 

20190219_100836.jpg

• Agree 1

The Blue Jacket is made by Hopkins and Allen, it's a "pocket pistol" chambered for 22 shorts but don't shoot modern 22 shorts because the cyl is too weak.  You can probably shoot CB caps. est value $75-$100

The H&R is probably chambered for 32 S&W.  The caliber should be stamped into the barrel. est value $125-$175

The Wide Awake pistol is also a 32 cal.  Interesting note, these pistols were known as a "suicide special" back in the day. Est value is $75-$100

• Informative 1

If the H&R is a 6 shot, it's a 32 S&W, if it's a 5 shot, then it is a 38 S&W.  btw, the model is usually referred to as the H&R Top-Break Auto Ejecting.

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Would be cool to see restored.

I know a couple of on-line friends (retired sentimental gunsmiths) who look for project guns like this.  It usually costs them 3x what the gun is worth to restore them.  Someone out there wants them.  In fact, if it were not for the hassle, I might have been interested in the H&R to tinker with.

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

If the H&R is a 6 shot, it's a 32 S&W, if it's a 5 shot, then it is a 38 S&W.  btw, the model is usually referred to as the H&R Top-Break Auto Ejecting.

I know a couple of on-line friends (retired sentimental gunsmiths) who look for project guns like this.  It usually costs them 3x what the gun is worth to restore them.  Someone out there wants them.  In fact, if it were not for the hassle, I might have been interested in the H&R to tinker with.

That's precisely it... I just think it would be cool to shoot a 100 year old gun!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Maksim said:

That's precisely it... I just think it would be cool to shoot a 100 year old gun!  

It is, I take my Ithaca flues out hunting at least once a year. Its 101 years old this year. 

• Like 1

Holy hand grenade of Antioch, do NOT try to fire these pot metal trophies.

Here are my twin five-shooters.  The top is a Forehand Arms, seems to work and I got it for $95.  The bottom gun is a Hopkins & Allen and the trigger return spring is missing.  These were likely made in the same Connecticut factory.  I scoured Numrich but have not yet found the proper spring to make a repair.

These shoot Smith & Wesson 32 Short Blackpowder loads.  I found old advertisement that touted "flawless operation through 937 rounds of smokeless powder test firing."  There were a lot less lawyers in advertising back then so we can only suspect what happened on the 938th round!  Even thought I went through the effort of sourcing proper blackpowder ammo, I don't have the guts to try to blow up the only thing I have from my grandmothers (the broken gun was hers and, yes, there is a story).

I'd love to meet up at Cherry Ridge to put all of these side by side.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/32-s-w-short-black-powder-ammo-311-90-grain-lead-fn-box-of-50-amobp32sws

tumblr_pnaskshkax1wz9o8k_540.jpg

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, weekend_junkie said:

Holy hand grenade of Antioch, do NOT try to fire these pot metal trophies.

Here are my twin five-shooters.  The top is a Forehand Arms, seems to work and I got it for $95.  The bottom gun is a Hopkins & Allen and the trigger return spring is missing.  These were likely made in the same Connecticut factory.  I scoured Numrich but have not yet found the proper spring to make a repair.

These shoot Smith & Wesson 32 Short Blackpowder loads.  I found old advertisement that touted "flawless operation through 937 rounds of smokeless powder test firing."  There were a lot less lawyers in advertising back then so we can only suspect what happened on the 938th round!  Even thought I went through the effort of sourcing proper blackpowder ammo, I don't have the guts to try to blow up the only thing I have from my grandmothers (the broken gun was hers and, yes, there is a story).

I'd love to meet up at Cherry Ridge to put all of these side by side.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/32-s-w-short-black-powder-ammo-311-90-grain-lead-fn-box-of-50-amobp32sws

tumblr_pnaskshkax1wz9o8k_540.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. 

Do want to pick up some older guns but revolvers are not my forte and generally have as old as 1960s. 

• Like 1

My Uncle gave me a small suitcase full of old break top revolvers and small autos . some I put in safe but most are non-working . Im thinking of finding old adverting for them as a backdrop and do shadowboxes. Think they would make great  wall art . 

025.JPG

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Down South said:

My Uncle gave me a small suitcase full of old break top revolvers and small autos . some I put in safe but most are non-working . Im thinking of finding old adverting for them as a backdrop and do shadowboxes. Think they would make great  wall art . 

19 hours ago, Down South said:

025.JPG

I love the story that your uncle gave you a suitcase full of random old guns!

It would be great if you took the lid off the suitcase and used the rest of it as the base of the "shadowbox".  Hell, if you could figure out a way to mount them as shown in the picture it would look really cool behind a bar.

• Like 1