remixer

Whats the story behind this? Henry Rifle Kaboom

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

Totally weird, seems the barrel wasn't up to par.  

It seems that way...  I mean stainless is a hard metal... i was pretty shocked when i saw this.

BTW shot it twice. did not notice this until he was going out to shoot for the 3rd time.
Put about 200 rounds in it... Mixed 38 and 357

Just now, remixer said:

It seems that way...  I mean stainless is a hard metal... i was pretty shocked when i saw this.

BTW shot it twice. did not notice this until he was going out to shoot for the 3rd time.
Put about 200 rounds in it... Mixed 38 and 357

He will be taken care of, it just sucks that he has to box it up and ship it.

4 minutes ago, Lakota said:

My money would be on a squib.  Just because its factory ammo doesn't mean it doesn't/cant't happen.

For those who dont know what a Squib is... Here's an example

1181416704_squib2(3).thumb.jpg.ea1ee3f509a39b44f29b5a3b11437092.jpg

Just now, Ray Ray said:

He will be taken care of, it just sucks that he has to box it up and ship it.

I'm boxing it and shipping it... That's my job since i sold it to him..

If it were a transfer then he would be doing this :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

No, not a squib.  The metal failed.

Yes no doubt it failed.... It might have been a squib... its hard to tell 100%.

Regardless its a serious failure...

I hope this does not become a Shit on Henry thread....  Stuff happens..

1 minute ago, remixer said:

Yes no doubt it failed.... I might have been a squib... its hard to tell 100%.

Did he clean it after first outing? 

Bore obstruction here, thanks to a squib. Barrel burst at the weakest point; the dovetail cut. 

I saw a Henry .357 in carbon steel that had three bullets just south of the muzzle. The barrel was just bulged. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Parker said:

Bore obstruction here, thanks to a squib. Barrel burst at the weakest point; the dovetail cut.  

I saw a Henry .357 in carbon steel that had three rounds just south of the muzzle. The barrel was just bulged.  

Wonder how Henry Handles that when it comes to Warranty

1 hour ago, remixer said:

Yes no doubt it failed.... It might have been a squib... its hard to tell 100%.

If it was a squib, that is not a Henry failure but a shooter and ammo failure. 

Nothing wrong with getting squibs, what is wrong is sending a second follow up shot instead of stopping when you heard something “weird.”

• Agree 1

Ok, so just got to take a look at the photos on the PC.  Certainly looks like it was bulging and then just popped.

I know you are saying not "reloads" BUT... that may simply mean he did not reload it himself.

It most certainly could be "remanufactured" ammo that he bought.

While it most certainly was not a typical squib where there was only primer and no powder, (this would leave bullet lodged and most likely would prevent next round from being chambered).

It does seem like it was a low/undercharged case that failed to leave the barrel.  Ask the shooter if it sounded weaker than usual (if he bothers to even listen/feel for it).  He then took the next shot instead of stopping and this is the result.

Most certainly NOT a rifle issue but as I said in above post... an issue with ammo AND THE SHOOTER for not paying attention to the gun.

Take a bore light inside of the barrel by where it split.  I am sure there is a bulge there?

(And yes, have most certainly seen squibs in factory ammo too.  The best was Winchester White Box where there was no flash hole drilled out for the primer.  

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Ok, so just got to take a look at the photos on the PC.  Certainly looks like it was bulging and then just popped.

I know you are saying not "reloads" BUT... that may simply mean he did not reload it himself.

It most certainly could be "remanufactured" ammo that he bought.

While it most certainly was not a typical squib where there was only primer and no powder, (this would leave bullet lodged and most likely would prevent next round from being chambered).

It does seem like it was a low/undercharged case that failed to leave the barrel.  Ask the shooter if it sounded weaker than usual (if he bothers to even listen/feel for it).  He then took the next shot instead of stopping and this is the result.

Most certainly NOT a rifle issue but as I said in above post... an issue with ammo AND THE SHOOTER for not paying attention to the gun.

(And yes, have most certainly seen squibs in factory ammo too.  The best was Winchester White Box where there was no flash hole drilled out for the primer.  

Federal Ammo

That barrel failure was most likely a bore obstruction of some sort.   That's the only way  a barrel would fail like that. A manufacturing defect is less likely.

Most often I've seen that happen with muzzles that were poked on the mud and then fired.

Squibs do happen.  How often depends on the quality of the ammuniton. I've fired a lot of factory, commercial reloads, and my own reloads over my time.  I've had exactly one squib.  That was with a factory load in a M1 Carbine.  I figure it had to happen sometime.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

That barrel failure was most likely a bore obstruction of some sort.   That's the only way  a barrel would fail like that. A manufacturing defect is less likely. 

Most often I've seen that happen with muzzles that were poked on the mud and then fired.

Squibs do happen.  How often depends on the quality of the ammuniton. I've fired a lot of factory, commercial reloads, and my own reloads over my time.  I've had exactly one squib.  That was with a factory load in a M1 Carbine.  I figure it had to happen sometime.

I'm curious. if there was a hair line crack in the end of the barrel would the gas pressures from shooting actually open it up to that degree......

I guess well have to see what henry says...

Customer says he did not even notice till he was taking the rifle out for the 3rdtime and was going to clean it first.

3 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Most often I've seen that happen with muzzles that were poked on the mud and then fired

I was thinking the same thing. It ruptured at the dove tail because thats where the metal is the thinnest. 

Spoke to customer... Did not notice any strange sounds when shooting IE projectile that did not leave the rifle or Pop that was quieter or sound of 2 projectiles hitting each other. I would assume that would be quite noticeable.

Ammo was federal,Herters and Fiocchi.

I doubt he stuck it in the mud BUT i agree that would cause a problem :)

4 minutes ago, remixer said:

I'm curious. if there was a hair line crack in the end of the barrel would the gas pressures from shooting actually open it up to that degree......

I guess well have to see what henry says...

Customer says he did not even notice till he was taking the rifle out for the 3rdtime and was going to clean it first.

That says enough.

If he did not notice till he was taking out the rifle to clean it, he would have no clue on what round or circumstance.

IF it was a manufacturing defect it would simply be a split... from the pics, although they are not 100% great, it looks like a bulge there.  Bulge = obstruction

Plenty of underpowered ammo can almost leave the barrel.  It happens fairly often, most people just don't notice and on handguns it simply means lower recoil and lower velocity.  With a longer barrel, underpowered can certainly mean lodged at end of barrel. 

3 minutes ago, remixer said:

Spoke to customer... Did not notice any strange sounds when shooting IE projectile that did not leave the rifle or Pop that was quieter or sound of 2 projectiles hitting each other. I would assume that would be quite noticeable.

Ammo was federal,Herters and Fiocchi.

I doubt he stuck it in the mud BUT i agree that would cause a problem :)

Underpowered would generally recoil the same... it would just be a tad quieter.  A full squib where no powder, only primer... sounds different.

Ammo wise... yeah, Herters and Fiocchi... 

Do you have the gun?  Take pictures inside the barrel near the split, that will confirm it.

Just now, Maksim said:

Underpowered would generally recoil the same... it would just be a tad quieter.  A full squib where no powder, only primer... sounds different. 

Ammo wise... yeah, Herters and Fiocchi...  

Do you have the gun?  Take pictures inside the barrel near the split, that will confirm it.

I do have the gun. 

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

That's my thought - barrel got into some mud or dirt or something.

Maybe alex was right LOL

11 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Yeah Grizz, this is my guess. Somehow the barrel was fouled at the muzzle, that’s why there is no lodged projectile and the damage is only the last inch or so of the barrel.

I have caught more than a couple of guys about to fire their rifles with a muzzle full of dirt or mud. They didn’t even realize their muzzle touched the ground, let alone that their barrel has an inch or two of mud/dirt/grass/rocks obstructing the path of the projectile.