remixer

Whats the story behind this? Henry Rifle Kaboom

17 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

all the handgun stuff is great but we're not talking handguns, it's a rifle and the length of the barrel would increase the effect on the pressure curve the longer out.

Either way, the guy can absolutely get an answer from Henry so we'll find out soon enough

The barrel length lowers the pressure. It's a pistol cartridge using pistol powder with pistol burn rates. Most all of them are done burning powder and experiencing a pressure drop by the time they reach the end of longer barrels. They are designed to hit their specs ina  6" test fixture. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The barrel length lowers the pressure. It's a pistol cartridge using pistol powder with pistol burn rates. Most all of them are done burning powder and experiencing a pressure drop by the time they reach the end of longer barrels. They are designed to hit their specs ina  6" test fixture. 

you are too fixated on handguns with very short barrels here.  Rifle systems are much different, auto to non auto-loaders especially.  With any blockage that prevents gas expulsion, you get a spike in the curve that results in the rupture of the barrel.  all that pressure doesn't dissipate like it would normally and then with non auto-loaders where you have not gas bleed off, you get pop.  This was not such an occurrence. 

9 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Funny thing though, our "guys" are actually "gals".

Henry won't investigate the gun, they don't care.  Replace it and move on.  It would be a waste of time to go after the owner or ammunition manufacturer.  They want the owner happy, so he buys another Henry.  Win win 

There in Hoboken, you cannot tell the difference.  :huh:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 2/22/2019 at 5:09 PM, myhatinthering said:

you are too fixated on handguns with very short barrels here.  Rifle systems are much different, auto to non auto-loaders especially.  With any blockage that prevents gas expulsion, you get a spike in the curve that results in the rupture of the barrel.  all that pressure doesn't dissipate like it would normally and then with non auto-loaders where you have not gas bleed off, you get pop.  This was not such an occurrence. 

OK. so in a semi auto pistol... where there is no gas bleed off until after lockup. You have a blockage and fire into it. If a blockage of a PISTOL caliber cartridge in a pistol length barrel with LESS VOLUME is only ringing the barrel on occasion, how is a rifle where a PISTOL caliber cartridge is hitting an obstruction  at the far end of a much longer barrel thus with a much larger volume, you are saying the thing will dramatically explode because... reasons. 

I'm with your idea on rifle cartridges. A 60k psi round with powder that may still be burning by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle, yeah a barrel that isn't supposed to be sealed is dealing with some severe hardships if you follow up with a full house round after a squib. 

Here's the results of a squib in a Sig P220, shooting factory PMC 230 gr. hardball ammo. Note the bulged barrel. Shooter became evident of the problem when the slide locked back on the bulged barrel but he didn't recall the squib. 

The bullet lodged in the barrel from the squib was then pushed out by the next very capable fired round which resulted in the bulge. The barrel could have burst but it didn't. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Parker said:

Here's the results of a squib in a Sig P220, shooting factory PMC 230 gr. hardball ammo. Note the bulged barrel. Shooter became evident of the problem when the slide locked back on the bulged barrel but he didn't recall the squib. 

The bullet lodged in the barrel from the squib was then pushed out by the next very capable fired round which resulted in the bulge. The barrel could have burst but it didn't. 

IMG_4395.jpg

@Parker

Thank you VERY much for providing some proof that it does happen, and squibs do get shot many times. 

again, problem here is we are not talking about short barreled handgun.  It really is apples and oranges due to the pressure curve from the bore

the reason rifles go kaboom 99% of the time with a squib is because there is a spike in pressure that exceeds the initial charge and then physics takes over

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

again, problem here is we are not talking about short barreled handgun.  It really is apples and oranges due to the pressure curve from the bore

the reason rifles go kaboom 99% of the time with a squib is because there is a spike in pressure that exceeds the initial charge and then physics takes over

Please... tell me the physics that says the forces of X amount of expanding gas contained in volume Y is significantly less than the forces of expanding gas contained in a volume of 3Y.

Please explain, sine you apparently know something special.

An actually full on squib with no charge that lodges a bulled near the chamber end of things usually results in a KB in rifles and pistols. When a squib or undercharged round lodges it near the muzzle different stuff happens. 

But seriously. Either stop saying what is essentially nuh-uh over and over, and try to explain your reasoning. 

PIstol caliber round. 

Fast burning pistol powder. 

Powder is chosen to mostly be burnt up by the end of a 6" test fixture. 

placed in a  longer rifle barrel, the powder is completely burnt before the bullet reaches the end once thta point is reached, pressure is DROPPING. 

The only thing changing that in a situation with a blocked barrel is the compression of the volume of air in the bore. Which is basically rounding error for most of the trip.

• Agree 2

A squib is defined as an underpowered or no-powder load. Be it just the primer, or an underpowered powder charge that pushes the bullet or a shotshell wad part of the way down the barrel without exiting the muzzle. This scenario sets up the perfect opportunity for the next round's detonation to prove interesting for the obstruction that lies ahead. The internet calls the resulting anomaly a kaboom.  

41 minutes ago, remixer said:

Sorry was trying to add a dramatic pause.

Henry Replaced the barrel no questions asked..

They did however mention to please have the russian stop calling their support people and yelling squib.

Stop making crap up... you can get banned for it.

So what was the cause?  Really... 

18 minutes ago, remixer said:

If your inability to understand humor gets a person banned... So be it.

LOL... you just sound so serious. =)  BUT... I only talked to the President of Henry... not his customer service people.

So... cause of Kaboom?  

It was caused by a flawed barrel, obstruction and Day Light savings time.

I have no clue... i doubt they even gave it more than 30 seconds of thought..  For them to really know 100% would have cost more then replacing the barrel. 

I'm just pleased that henry is 

1. American Made.
2. Stands Behind their product without even a question as to what happened.
3. Owned by a Brooklyn guy.
4. Based in NJ

• Agree 1

Find out the issue yet with this Henry?

went to the range last night and had a problems with trigger screw walking out on my Henry big boy. Every time I cycled the gun fast the trigger screw would become loose.

wonder if their quality is going downhill. 

4 hours ago, Gunnz said:

Find out the issue yet with this Henry?

went to the range last night and had a problems with trigger screw walking out on my Henry big boy. Every time I cycled the gun fast the trigger screw would become loose.

wonder if their quality is going downhill. 

What caliber?

I have a big boy in 357.  Color case hardened steel.... beautiful gun. It has a custom serial number also.

got it last May, ran 50 slow rounds through it perfectly. 

Ran another 50-100 last night, but a lot quicker, and the hammer screw started to walk out, about an 8th of an inch before I noticed it.

after tightening it , I checked after every tube, and it was looser every time and needed to be screwed back in tight.