remixer

Whats the story behind this? Henry Rifle Kaboom

Those of you who think it was not a squib and just metal failure...

can you explain this a bit more... At this point im not doubting anything... Squib, Metal Failure etc etc  just curious as to why you came to that conclusion...   

Conversation is a good thing.... and we are keeping on topic :)

What kind of rifling on that gun? If he was shooting crap Ammo and not cleaning, ie soft lead, can easily lead to fowling and kaboom. 

Of course we know he used crap ammo so that is likely contributor. 

Post Picts of inside barrel. Put flash light or bore light in chamber and take pic from the bore end. 

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

What kind of rifling on that gun? If he was shooting crap Ammo and not cleaning, ie soft lead, can easily lead to fowling and kaboom.  

Of course we know he used crap ammo so that is likely contributor.  

Post Picts of inside barrel. Put flash light or bore light in chamber and take pic from the bore end. 

Put 200 rounds in total through the gun, cleaned the first time.... took out again.... went to clean before going out for 3rd time and noticed it.... Would not think lead fouling would be an issue on such a low round count.

ill see if i can get better pics.

4 minutes ago, remixer said:

Put 200 rounds in total through the gun, cleaned the first time.... took out again.... went to clean before going out for 3rd time and noticed it.... Would not think lead fouling would be an issue on such a low round count.

ill see if i can get better pics.

Lead fouling sneaks up really quick, can take as little as 20 rounds if poly barrel and really soft lead. But I doubt that is the case here. 

Get the pics but it is 99% barrel obstruction likely caused by underpowered rounds that failed to leave barrel. 

Especially once you factor in crap ammo. 

Keep in mind many times shooters will just shoot a squib out and why an underpowered squib is more dangerous than a full blown no powder squib. Those will generally go just into barrel and will prevent next round from being chambered. 

Get pics of inside barrel. That will answer it.

and advise the guy to keep copies of receipts and if he has any other ammo from the lot. 

Ammo companies will fix their screw ups.

definitely not a squib

metal fatigue from not being forged properly.  My bet is the harmonics on the barrel created a stress fracture that ruptured at the weakest point, which is the end, due to pressure

dollars to donuts that when Henry cuts that barrel, there are pockets in it etc

8 minutes ago, Maksim said:

He said a mix of Federal, Herters and Fiochi. 

But waiting for those barrel pics.  That will answer it. =)

yes but I want the exact weight, type etc.

doubt it's a fouling issue with factory jacketed ammo with such few rounds plus, the fed 357 I have is not traveling fast enough to fowl the barrel so quickly.  The location of the break is telling, it's the weakest part of the barrel.

will be surprised if it's not a defective barrel

1 minute ago, myhatinthering said:

yes but I want the exact weight, type etc.

doubt it's a fouling issue with factory jacketed ammo with such few rounds plus, the fed 357 I have is not traveling fast enough to fowl the barrel so quickly.  The location of the break is telling, it's the weakest part of the barrel.

will be surprised if it's not a defective barrel

Never posted and honestly, the gun owner would likely not know considering he did not notice the gun till after he was done shooting and getting ready to clean it. lol.

Jacketed ammo would most certainly not foul it. 

But the break there is not as surprising considering that is the weakest link.  IF that tube did not connect there, I suspect the barrel would blow up a bit more.

BUT... why I suspect barrel obstruction is that right before that dovetail, we see bulging (from the pics).  And why want to see more. Just thinking what is the most likely, bad ammo or a major manufacturer royally screwed up making a barrel... (If Henry even makes their barrels).

Metal problem at end of barrel (inclusion,void,crack), split the end of the barrel and blew out the dovetail.

A squib that has enough oompf to bulge and split the barrel like that would have certainly made the shooter aware that something not right just happened.

13 minutes ago, RichP said:

Metal problem at end of barrel (inclusion,void,crack), split the end of the barrel and blew out the dovetail.

A squib that has enough oompf to bulge and split the barrel like that would have certainly made the shooter aware that something not right just happened.

agreed

plus a squib is a violent occurrence whereas this does not appear to be so.

30 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Never posted and honestly, the gun owner would likely not know considering he did not notice the gun till after he was done shooting and getting ready to clean it. lol.

Jacketed ammo would most certainly not foul it. 

But the break there is not as surprising considering that is the weakest link.  IF that tube did not connect there, I suspect the barrel would blow up a bit more.

BUT... why I suspect barrel obstruction is that right before that dovetail, we see bulging (from the pics).  And why want to see more. Just thinking what is the most likely, bad ammo or a major manufacturer royally screwed up making a barrel... (If Henry even makes their barrels).

definitely want to see more detailed pics

1 minute ago, remixer said:

Internal Crack that follows this red line exactly

IMG_5408.thumb.JPG.3d1668f046807c6a4fa9425e0278582c.JPG

Its actually the sides, top looks 100% true

You would have a better idea.

If straight line, yep...

But that barrel sure looks filthy too, 200 rounds?  looks like lead oozing out the front. lol. 

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

You would have a better idea.

If straight line, yep...

But that barrel sure looks filthy too, 200 rounds?  looks like lead oozing out the front. lol. 

I think its blood :)

Hey 200 rounds... im only relying the info i get LOL

10 minutes ago, remixer said:

New Pics

IMG_5403.thumb.JPG.782574d5b6ef45ede6b061e9f8c34d30.JPGIMG_5404.thumb.JPG.4580b400ebe1fd246799129c652586dd.JPG

I think he was in VP of Barrel Manufacturing and let go.

Steve, is it simply a crack running up the wall, or is it a break?  Looks like a bulge?  But you would have a much clearer view. 

I am still dumbfounded how he did not notice this... 

2 minutes ago, remixer said:

Its both a Bulge and a Crack that starts at the dove tail... in fact the crack running down the length split the dovetail in 2

IMG_5409.JPG

So there is where I am leaning towards.

Was a Squib that did not exit barrel.  Second round hit it... and broke it up along the weakest link.   It just happened to be right where the dovetail is. 

The massive bulge is all you need to see. 

I did tag Henry on this so will see if they respond. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Maksim said:

So there is where I am leaning towards.

Was a Squib that did not exit barrel.  Second round hit it... and broke it up along the weakest link. 

The massive bulge is all you need to see. 

I did tag Henry on this so will see if they respond.  

Tagged Henry who? The Manufacture?

4 minutes ago, Maksim said:

aha

I will say. looking at the depth of the dovetail compared to the thickness of the barrel... the dove tail really took off the meat on this thing... might have been a bad dovetail cut... just a bit to deep.