SmittyMHS

New fangeled key fobs

One of mine wont work except to start the truck (won't lock/unlock-remote start) The steeler wants a fortune for a new fob plus reprogramming it. I've gone to my local locksmith who was no help at all. Couldn't even point me to another locksmith that can do it. I see on facebook there's a bunch that advertise replacements but they all seem to raise a red flag to me. Anyone have any luck getting an aftermarket fob?

It’s not so much as programming the new fob, but telling the vechicle what serial number of fobs to recognize. Requires special software to talk to the car. 

I have it for VW/Audi (VAGCom), but can’t help you with Mopar. 

I lost my a fob key to my sons 2011 Frontier, got one on eBay I think, had a local locksmith take care of it but he did say I was lucky as it's becoming more dealer specific. Just for the heck of it try swapping batterys between the two fobs, can't hurt.

I have a Jeep and the fob just needs a $1 battery change every couple of years.  You first notice that the lock/unlock button wont do anything.  These are the little pizza-shaped watch batteries.

Here is an interesting story about MB fobs....they weren't really keyless for many many years...you put it in the ignition sensor and off you go.  The car actually recharged the fob battery.  I used to source them for members of a Benz forum when they came out with the shiny chrome fobs at about $75 if you fax in your registration.   Guy in Texas would burn your code on the little board and fedex the physical fob to you in a couple of days.

So then some guy had one made for an SL500 (I think) on a dealer lot and just drove away one day.  So they started requiring you to show more proof you actually held title.  Fair enough, but then Daimler realized they could get more than $75 for a key and jacked it to $250 (depending on the dealership taking the order).  Same exact part.

Fun stuff.  I used to get parts from the dealer at half what they charged Missus Jones who drove into the service area.  I was moving thousands per week.  The service manager at said dealership was incented on volume, so it was all gravy for him.  I would pick up the parts, box them up, and ship them for forum members.  But then he decides he wanted more of a cut and raised my price by 50%. Now places like RockAuto were at the same price point and this clown was no longer going to get the volume I was moving for him.  I had one guy in Sydney asking me for 20 grand in parts.  Mister manager in Cherry Hill NJ was not getting that business without my help.  Killed a good gig.  Oh well.

2 hours ago, BobA said:

You tube

Yeah...BTDT. Tried the bypass the button test. Nada. But did find out the panic button still worked. Had to run in the house to get the good fob to disarm it.

There are fobs available online that claim only need to be programmed for alot less them the dealer charges. I asked my service manager about them. He said he "would try" to program one. But if it didn't take I would still have to pay the $75 fee. This is such a scam! Almost as bad as the TPMS debacle. 

1 hour ago, AlDente67 said:

I have a Jeep and the fob just needs a $1 battery change every couple of years.  You first notice that the lock/unlock button wont do anything.  These are the little pizza-shaped watch batteries.

That would be the first thing I would check too, when a fob stops working. Batteries don't last forever.

Getting all the keys is certainly a thing to be wary of when buying a used car. In the best cases, you need 2 working keys for the car to allow you to program a new one. It’s sometimes cheaper insurance to have a 3rd key made so you can avoid the dealership if you ever lose one of the original two. Here’s my experiences with a few FCA cars:

- 2008 Wrangler uses a bladed key. I can have that cut and then program more keys into my Wrangler. $10 on eBay, Home Depot cuts for free and you program yourself  

-2008 Grand Cherokee uses that fobik, plastic key goes in the ignition. Extra keys can be programmed in, just like the Wrangler.

- 2014 Charger uses a keyless fob, also has push button start and keyless entry. Cannot be owner programmed. $300 from the dealer with programming. There is a specialty locksmith in Ramsey who programs for $75 if you provide your own key. 

-2016 Town & Country, uses fobik but also has push button start and keyless entry. Same as the charger, cannot be owner programmed. (I’m going through this headache right now)

The long and short is that there are alternatives out there to the dealer.  It seems to depends on when that model had a security upgrade if you can program yourself or not. Overall, 2012 seems to be the cutoff.

Can't talk specifically to the Dodge/Ram, but I got chipped keys from the locksmith in the Berlin Farmer's market for $30 each a couple years ago, cut and programmed for my wife's Mazda.  He had aftermarket pushbutton fobs as well for around $100 (I forget the exact price), but we had one that worked, and I wasn't willing to pay the extra $$$.  There ARE other options out there to the 'stealer'.

Found a locksmith that sells/programs my style fob for $150. Gonna go next monday to get it done. I tried one of the vendors you see on FB all the time. 1st he said I was too far away (mobile unit) (trunk of his car?) so I offered to meet him half way. Set up a time and place. Long story short he stiffed me and tried to blame it on me! I was there on time. He wasn't. That and his bad broken english  turned me off to the whole deal. I feel better going thru a brick and mortar locksmith. But...we'll see.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, weekend_junkie said:

Getting all the keys is certainly a thing to be wary of when buying a used car. In the best cases, you need 2 working keys for the car to allow you to program a new one. 

I’ve never heard that.  Why would 2 working keys be needed in order to  program a third?

38 minutes ago, 10X said:

I’ve never heard that.  Why would 2 working keys be needed in order to  program a third?

That would only be for cars that allow you to program a key without going to the dealership.  The security procedure requires that you use two different keys in the ignition back-to-back in order to initiate the new key programming mode.

This prevents a valet or anyone who has just one key from making a copy.  Of course, the dealership can go directly into the computer and do what they want.

• Thanks 1