MichaelDiggs

Bolt Extractor - does it really need an o-ring?

Took apart my bolts for a good cleaning and noticed my BCM bolt does not have the rubber o-ring on the extractor ring. I know I see this as a selling point when viewing upgrade kits and such, but is it really needed? I know BCM BCG's are really rated one of the best and I've been eye balling their bronze colored ION plated one but the price is really up there. I have about 2000 rounds through each of my AR-15's. One  is a Bravo Company BCM 4 and the other a Rebel Arms MOD 3. I haven't been able to get to Rebel Arms website the last two days so who knows if they are even still in business. They are small manufacture in PA. Very well made rifle, tough as nails as I beat the hell out of it. Anyway, is it worth to buy a bolt extractor upgrade/renew kit when you are at 2000 rounds +. A close inspection of all the parts indicates no abnormal wear and tear. When clean, everything looks new.

Here is what BCM has for sale on their bolt extractor kit. For how cheap it is, I may as well get a couple.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

I see other companies selling just the extractor for like $20. Crazy. I think I'd rather just grab a couple of the BCM kits for $4.95 each.

Also does anyone know if it is hard to remove and then reinstall the gas o-rings on the bolt? Is there a tool for this or just needs to be done by hand?

boltextractors.jpg

There have historically been two generations of extractor spring. The original weaker one, and the later stronger one. 

Technically if you have the stronger one, you do not need the o-ring. But since it's hard to tell which you have, people jsut slap the o-ring on there anyway as it doesn't hurt.