Gunnz

New online permitting system?!?

"These fees are still collected by Records personnel at Police Headquarters.  Until such time that an online means of payment can be received by the town, this step must is required and must take place before we can move forward and begin to process any firearms related applications. We apologize for the inconvenience."

At the speed that some towns adopt new technology im guessing this step will take another 10 years lol

I hope this is a at least makes it quicker.. that is until this archaic and unconstitutional process can be removed altogether.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

Old bridge time frame is not fast or slow. On average they are 5-6 weeks.

That's slow.

Their law states 30 days.

Not to be a ninny but they should not be allowed to break laws while holding us to them.  

15 minutes ago, Bully said:

That's slow.

Their law states 30 days.

Not to be a ninny but they should not be allowed to break laws while holding us to them.  

Better than 5 or 6 months.

51 minutes ago, Bully said:

It is.
5-6 weeks is still unacceptable.  There is always a worse case.

Shit i will take 6 weeks. if that was consistent.  The best ive had is 6 weeks, my last batch of permits was just under 90 days.  Always comes down to the mental health check and how slow the state is with that

12 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Shit i will take 6 weeks. if that was consistent.  The best ive had is 6 weeks, my last batch of permits was just under 90 days.  Always comes down to the mental health check and how slow the state is with that

I understand but disagree with your position.  

The law, their law, says towns must issue a permit/FID within 30 days.  To accept otherwise is not a good idea, IMO.  But, I'm just a cranky hairdresser.  WTH do I know.  

3 minutes ago, Bully said:

I understand but disagree with your position.  

The law, their law, says towns must issue a permit/FID within 30 days.  To accept otherwise is not a good idea, IMO.  But, I'm just a cranky hairdresser.  WTH do I know.  

Well yea I get that ... but let's not forget "their law" is unconstitutional crap to begin with. The whole shall not be infringed thing... 6 weeks or 30 days... im feeling pretty f*king infringed on.  :)

So now I have to worry about not only everyone at the local police department and the state police having access to my records, they will be online for everyone to view with all of my other personal information, social security, etc.  How secure will this be?  Will it be accessible during traffic stops and home visits and for health professionals?  And with one push of the button the whole thing could be shut down.  Seems suspect.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, kman said:

If they are going to have a permitting system at all, to purchase handguns, the state should have taken this over decades ago from local police departments and automated it.

Our current system in NJ is archaic.

You think this is being done to just streamline things?   I don't want the State taking over ANYTHING.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Underdog said:

So now I have to worry about not only everyone at the local police department and the state police having access to my records, they will be online for everyone to view with all of my other personal information, social security, etc.  How secure will this be?  Will it be accessible during traffic stops and home visits and for health professionals?

You should go ask Alexa (who's listening all the time) what she feels about this privacy.

If the state issues pistol permits instead of local police departments, then the process can be regularized and monitored and one lawsuit against the state can be filed if there is abuse. 

Right now every municipality has its own procedure and schedule and policy, which changes every time the police chief changes...and the law is the police are supposed to investigate you - which means they can pretty do as much snooping as they want, call your employer, etc.  Every individual town has to be sued, each with its own set of facts, etc., if there is any problem.  If the town police don't like you, they currently could cause all sorts of problems for you. 

Of course there shouldn't be purchase permits in the first place, but if we are going to have them anyhow, I for one would rather have a statewide system that's automated and staffed by a bureaucracy with fixed rules impartially applied.

As it is right now, if the present right to carry lawsuit goes our way, your town police will still be the ones investigating and deciding on your carry permit, with authority to investigate you as much as they want, if the current lawsuit to throw out "justified need" is successful.  Look at the form you have to fill out. 

I for one would rather have the state police do a quick search of the state records and approve, then have to go to the local police station after hours (since I am working during the day) and satisfy some local town detective that I'm OK, and fill out a form that allows him to do a fishing expedition of an investigation if they don't want to issue one to me.

Alternatively, if you live in a permissive town, I'd understand why you would want to keep the system as is.  But you will complain if the political orientation of the town flips and a new chief is appointed.

If the state has to do all the work, it can definitely come to a crawl.  I live in an area with no police, so my purchase permit paperwork has to go through the state.  Where some of you get papers back in 3 to 6 weeks because your local chief of police can sign the papers, I'm consistantly at 3-5 months because State Police Barracks Commanders don't have the authority to sign off on the investigation.  The process gets started at the local barracks then gets sent to Trenton where 1 unit handles all the paperwork for people who live in areas with no local police.  This time last year they were back logged with paperwork and it was taking about 5 months to get returns and they were coming with the extension already filled out and signed because they knew they didn't want to re-approve it later if you let the 6 months run out without making a purchase.

The site says do not need to fingerprint again!?!?   Hot diggity dog

i gotta tell ya,  yes I hear you on the lack of potential privacy thing.   But I’m leaning to the side of relief from nazi type town documentation wven though it’s illegal it still happens.  Calling employers?   Bullshit like that.  And 5 month wait times?   If I have to sacrifice my POTENTIAL loss of privacy i will do it for the cause of helping my other brothers out who suffer.