Gunnz

New online permitting system?!?

Just now, reloaderguy said:

Woodbridge has been doing this for over a year.

This isn’t just the background check, this is the whole application process.

6 minutes ago, reloaderguy said:

Correct but you still have to drop off papers to PD.

In old bridge you don’t have to drop off anything but payment. 

And they are working on a system for online payment , so you don’t have to go In at all until you pick up.

My town went to this system as well.  Just submitted for FID change and pistol permits this morning.  

Both my references contacted me within an hour to let me know they received reference check emails from NJSP.  Shortly after that I received a status update from NJSP that one of the references had completed the reference check form.

So far this is looking like a big improvement to the otherwise onerous process.  No waiting for an appointment with local PD, same day contact to references via email instead of waiting for snail mail.

It looks like the only contact with local PD will be to pick up documents and pay for purchase permits.

Because I have nothing better to do on a Friday night, some interesting things from the online FAQ:

How can I check whether a municipal police department is accepting S.T.S. 033 Form online?

The online S.T.S. 033 Form starts with the ORI Number. If the concerned municipal police department is not accepting online requests, you will not be able to proceed with the form submission. You need to make sure that you are applying with the correct ORI number after consultation with the concerned municipal police department. The name of the municipal police department is displayed when a valid ORI Number of a participating police department is entered.

My emphasis added.  Not sure if your town is participating? Get the ORI number (https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/NACJD/ORIs/34oris.html) and try to submit an app.  If you get past the ORI field entry, then your town is likely participating.

Can I submit the Consent for Mental Health Records Search (Form S.P. 66) application online?

No, not currently. The form can be downloaded from here. You are required to complete and submit this form in person at your municipal police department. Without this, the application cannot be processed.

My emphasis added.  My local PD contact didn't tell me this, just said "It's all online now, just go to the site".

I wonder how many apps are going to sit unprocessed until people start to figure this out....

Do I need to enter my Social Security Number?

Disclosure of social security number and driver license details are voluntary. However, without it, the processing of the application may be delayed. This information is considered confidential.

My emphasis added.  Hrmm, the form asks do you have a driver's license (yes/no) and then the D/L # is "asterisked" as a required field if you say yes.  Lying on the form is a felony,  so fail to see how you can't disclose your D/L# without lying on the form.

I just applied for pistol permits online using Berkeley Township's ORI and all went well. Paid my $21. Forgive my confusion, but does this online app also do the Mental Health Background check?

EDIT>>> Disregard my question. I found my answer in FAQ section...

All applicants are required to go to their municipal police department to sign the Mental Health Check form. 

2 hours ago, dajonga said:

I just applied for pistol permits online using Berkeley Township's ORI and all went well. Paid my $21. Forgive my confusion, but does this online app also do the Mental Health Background check?

EDIT>>> Disregard my question. I found my answer in FAQ section...

All applicants are required to go to their municipal police department to sign the Mental Health Check form. 

The paper work I got from NJSP about this is the mental health checks are 10 years apart unless you lived out of NJ during any of those years.

1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

Is it true they let you use relatives as a reference now?

From the FAQ link....

Is the reference feedback required for processing the S.T.S. 033 Form? top

Yes, to process the application the municipal police department requires two references from reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than the relatives. Not having this feedback can delay the processing. The service sends two reminder emails with the link to submit electronic feedback.

1 minute ago, Regular Guy said:

Thanks.  Someone said they changed it but I guess not.  I put in for P2P in January and the NJSP where I went didn't even mention it could be done online.

It was kind of new then. I did the same at about the same time as you. They took my paperwork at the barracks and then informed me I could have saved the 40 minute ride. But they would process it anyway. I should know if it all works out around April. That’s the average wait for the barracks I have to use. 

3 minutes ago, BobA said:

It was kind of new then. I did the same at about the same time as you. They took my paperwork at the barracks and then informed me I could have saved the 40 minute ride. But they would process it anyway. I should know if it all works out around April. That’s the average wait for the barracks I have to use. 

Yeah same here.  They told me last time that all the barracks send them in to get processed at a central office in Trenton.  They said barracks commanders don't have the authority to sign off on it like a police chief of a local town. 

After reading this thread, I checked my town's website.  Middletown Township started using the new system effective Feb 18th.

Step 3 of their instructions(link below) does state that you can use family members as references.  So that at least is a welcome change.  

https://www.middletownnj.org/DocumentCenter/View/3991/FARS-Sheet-

Cannot comment further until I have actually used it.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:04 PM, BobA said:

Something smells. Why in this climate would they make a change that leads to any convienance?

To squash any complaints that NJ people filing suits against 2A rights can’t pile on “and did you know my town takes 5 months even though they know the law is 30 days!?!”   

I can see the logic.   Give the bone so the dog doesn’t jump on the table 

• Like 1