Servids

Mental check procedures

Hi, i'm looking to file an application for a permit and have had previous treatment by a psychiatrist for anxiety. Only problem is I have a terrible memory and can't remember any of his details beyond his first name.

Is it possible to run the same mental health background check the state uses for permit applications on myself? I want to make sure my form is filled in without any issues and don't want to leave anything off, as I'm leery of breaking any laws. Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much,.

If an insurance carrier paid his bills, contact the carrier and request a claim history, they should have it. Then request a copy of your medical and prescription drug records. The medical records and/or his bills should reveal the diagnosis. Depending on what the records show you may need to get a letter from a psychiatrist, indicating that you are not a danger to yourself or others and do not presently suffer from a mental disease that would adversely impact your safe handling and use of firearms( if that is in fact true)  You cannot run the same mental health background check the State uses on yourself.

• Thanks 1

One visit. Not  committed voluntarily or involuntary to any institution or placed under a professional"s care?

It is my understanding that you will be able to Legaly submit for your FPID, and be approved. 

On one hand there is a misconception about even talking about mental health, on the other hand red flag laws.

I am not a lawyer or professional, your mileage may vary yadda yadda yadda

@fishnut and @SuRrEaLNJ i'm assuming you both put down the doctor's visit's on your application correct? 

From my reading of the application and from what i've seen others say on this discussion board, it's best to put any visits to a doctor down, even if they're  voluntary and it's a private doctor. As i mentioned in the first post, I'm keen to do everything by the book to avoid any chance of them coming back with a "falsified" charge. Thanks for your input, i really appreciate everyone's responses.

5 minutes ago, Servids said:

@fishnut and @SuRrEaLNJ i'm assuming you both put down the doctor's visit's on your application correct? 

From my reading of the application and from what i've seen others say on this discussion board, it's best to put any visits to a doctor down, even if they're  voluntary and it's a private doctor. As i mentioned in the first post, I'm keen to do everything by the book to avoid any chance of them coming back with a "falsified" charge. Thanks for your input, i really appreciate everyone's responses.

Nope, I did not list my shrink appointments on my application. I didn't even remember about the shrink visits until a few years after I got my FPID. Oops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Nope, I did not list my shrink appointments on my application. I didn't even remember about the shrink visits until a few years after I got my FPID. Oops. 

I am aware of at least one other person doing the same thing and having no issues with the FID 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Servids said:

your assuming im talking about myself :p

but no, nothing was declared on the paperwork

• Like 1