BobTheBuilder

First Time Handgun Purchase

Hello all,

I finally got my permit to purchase a handgun from the NJSP. I went in to my local gun dealer and picked a handgun to purchase. After all the paperwork at the counter, the salesperson then tells me that I have to be approved for purchase and that it might take a day or two. Is that a normal thing to happen? Who exactly has to approve my purchase? The state? They just took 4 months to aprove me just to approve me again 2 days after approving me. 

Any ideas?

Thank you! 

Welcome to New Jersey!:mad: You must go through a NICS background check at the time of sale.

It's to make sure you did no evil, illegal things from the time you got the permit up to the time of the sale. NICS can take minutes or hours depending on how busy they are. 2 days is excessive!

NICS is a federal requirement. NJ is a POC state, meaning the NJSP administer the system and the FBI database is accessed by them rather than directly by the FFL.

Welcome to the world of gun ownership.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

14 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder said:

Thank you! And got it. They mentioned that the delay might be because I'm not a citizen, but still. I bought it on Tuesday so hopefully I'll be approved tomorrow.

Wednesday was a state of emergency. No nics in joisey 

3 minutes ago, BobTheBuilder said:

They probably should rename it to something else than "instant check". 

Generally it is though. And this is why you develop a relationship with a vendor who can let you know ahead of time or work with you not to waste your time. 

• Thanks 1

Let’s be honest the NJ system is unsurprisingly shitty. You are calling the NJSP so they can call the FBI and get the approval.  Most other states go directly to the FBI and it is instant. Thanks to another governor Whitman eff up NJ is saddled with a crap system. 

5 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Let’s be honest the NJ system is unsurprisingly shitty. You are calling the NJSP so they can call the FBI and get the approval.  Most other states go directly to the FBI and it is instant. Thanks to another governor Whitman eff up NJ is saddled with a crap system. 

We're not alone with this system. In fact PA is also a POC state, which is why there they call it "PICS". There are 13 POC states total. Not advocating or supporting this system, simply pointing out that NJ was not the originator, nor the only state that has to live with it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

We're no alone with this system. In fact PA is also a POC state, which is why there they call it "PICS". There are 13 POC states total. Not advocating or supporting this system, simply pointing out that NJ was not the originator, nor the only state that has to live with it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NJ was given money for NICS modernization and spent it on other things during the CTW administration.  The system, here and in the other 13 states, adds no value and only delays my rights.  I really do get your point but I don’t take consolation in other places sucking too.