Was about to post this. 

This is a NON ISSUE.

What the guy fails to mention is that the politicians that were donated to... ALL SUPPORTED the Knife Owners Protection Act.

They gave money as a business to help knife owners.  IT worked.  

All this is is a hype to eat your own.  Gun owners need someone to villinaze and today it is Benchmade.  God Forbid someone actually bothered to spend 5 mins to research something. 

https://www.akti.org/news/american-knife-tool-institute-presents-common-sense-award-senator-martin-heinrich-congressman-kurt-schrader/

https://www.wyden.senate.gov/news/press-releases/senators-introduce-bipartisan-bill-to-protect-law-abiding-knife-owners

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/84/committees

42 minutes ago, Maksim said:

This is a NON ISSUE.

Wrong

You don't support politicians who don't support you.  Benchmade decided to support anti gun politicians and now they are being called out.  Knife laws, bullshit.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

Wrong

You don't support politicians who don't support you.  Benchmade decided to support anti gun politicians and now they are being called out.  Knife laws, bullshit.  

Knife company supporting knife laws.  And they are donating pennies.

You do know gun executives donated A HELL of a lot more to Hillary and Democrats... right?

I don't see you screaming for their head.

Someone screwed up with the PR but largely, this will be forgotten.

And before anyone brings up Dicks. LOL... that company knew exactly what they were doing.  Their sales slowed down way before getting out of MSRs.   And when the next democrat takes over and we have another ammo crunch and Dicks is the only place that carries ammo without gouging?  Everyone will be right back there.

In 6 months, no one will care about this as we find another person to fry.

Before gun owners pick on a knife company, gun owners need to look at gun companies and who leads them.  There are 3 or 4 I can think of the top of my head that openly wished for Hillary, quite a few donated and a large chunk that silently hoped she wins. 

There is one CEO I know that was thinking of doing a Hillary PAC. (He was half joking but made sense).

6 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Wrong

But you are also thinking about it wrong...

They paid politicians... those politicians voted for their issue.

If they didn't... those politicians would vote note.

Think of it as a business, seriously, WTF is there to gain to support a politician WHO IS ALREADY GOING TO VOTE FOR YOUR NEEDS?

What they need is to turn the minds of politicians who are on the fence... contributions is how you do it. 

If a wealthy gun owner in NJ waved a BIG check in front of some dems, I promise you they would take the time and look at guns differently.

No!

That's like paying a plumber who is also a thief to fix your sink and then you get robbed.  Yeah your sink works but now you got your TV and Playstation stolen.  They knew exactly what they where doing when they handed money to anti gunners.  Shame on them and they will now have to pay the consequences just like Springfield Armory.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

No!

That's like paying a plumber who is also a thief to fix your sink and then you get robbed.  It doesn't work the way you think it does.  They knew exactly what they where doing when they handed money to anti gunners.  Shame on them and they will now have to pay the consequences just like Springfield Armory.   

Ray, of course it does... 

But you also have to separate the difference between responsibilities to shareholders and community.

Bench-made as a company has a responsibility to its owners.  They are doing what is best for them.  Besides.. until this PR screw up by the police department, NO ONE GAVE A DAMN!

And Springfield?  Are they hurting?  Don't think so.

Or how about Glock... Gaston is not that gun ho on 2A himself and his wife is Anti Gun, or ex wife.

Did that make any difference? Did gun owners revolt?

Or what about Smith & Wesson?  Their CEO never owned a gun until he became CEO.

Vista?  Nope, no gun owners there.

"Boycotts" by gun owners generally don't work.  Er what else did we boycott?  Starbucks?

And besides, there are far more people who buy knives than guns.   I own a few Benchmades, Smith and Wessons, Glocks and certainly buy a ton of coffee from Starbucks. 

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Ray, of course it does... 

But you also have to separate the difference between responsibilities to shareholders and community.

Bench-made as a company has a responsibility to its owners.  They are doing what is best for them.  Besides.. until this PR screw up by the police department, NO ONE GAVE A DAMN!

And Springfield?  Are they hurting?  Don't think so.

Or how about Glock... Gaston is not that gun ho on 2A himself and his wife is Anti Gun, or ex wife.

Did that make any difference? Did gun owners revolt?

Or what about Smith & Wesson?  Their CEO never owned a gun until he became CEO.

Vista?  Nope, no gun owners there.

"Boycotts" by gun owners generally don't work.  Er what else did we boycott?  Starbucks?

And besides, there are far more people who buy knives than guns.   I own a few Benchmades, Smith and Wessons, Glocks and certainly buy a ton of coffee from Starbucks. 

It is true that many gun companies love when anti 2A politicians are in charge, their pockets get fat.   It is also true that many CEOs aren't actually pro 2A.

But

They don't broadcast it AND THEY DON'T FUCKING CUT UP GUNS!  They could have said no.  But they didn't, and here we are.  

On a side note, I never liked their knives.  They are overpriced, ugly and boring.  I don't even own one.

4 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

It is true that many gun companies love when anti 2A politicians are in charge, their pockets get fat.   It is also true that many CEOs aren't actually pro 2A.

But

They don't broadcast it AND THEY DON'T FUCKING CUT UP GUNS!  They could have said no.  But they didn't, and here we are.  

On a side note, I never liked their knives.  They are overpriced, ugly and boring.  I don't even own one.

What did Benchmade do wrong?

They cut up guns that:

1. People wanted destroyed.  People's property they can do what they want.

2. Guns REQUIRED to be destroyed by Law.

These guns were going to be destroyed.  I would think it is helpful for a company to have a good in with their local Police Department.

PD did not go buy guns to destroy.

At the same time... are you saying we should disavowed EVERY gun owner who takes crap guns to a gun buyback for cash?  They should hold them instead?  God forbid a gun gets destroyed?   It's a gun, BFD... can 3D Print another one. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for gun rights and supporting good people, BUT this is largely a non-event, making a mountain out of a mole hill. But seriously... what good does it do to boycott a company that generally supports your viewpoint?

There are not enough hard core gun people to keep the gun industry alive, and certainly not the 2A.

We NEED people in the middle... ostracizing them will only turn them liberal. 

As far as the 2A community is concerned, the optics on this are terrible.  Anti-gun democrap controlled Oregon destroys guns and Benchmade, a donor to the democraps, aids and abets the destruction.

Benchmade is fucked.  True 2A supporters are keeping a log of shit like this.  It does not matter if Benchmade donated $5 or $50,000, just the fact that they donated to politicians that are anti 2A is enough.

First, some are assuming that all gun owners that turn in guns want them destroyed.  that's a mistake.  The reality is that anti gun Oregon wants every gun destroyed at every opportunity.

This is the senseless murder of guns by a prejudiced political party .  Gun lives matter, even if some of them don't work quite right.  They are just "differently abled".

I wonder, how many M1 Garands were cut up, or how many WW2 1911s or other historic guns because some dimwitted widow did not know what else to do.

Bad optics.

• Like 2

Maks, You sound like a politician with your arguments,.  CEOs,  politicians, companies, knife makers, Dick's shoppers... it's an almost free country and we are all accountable.  I will give you that we have to reach the middle... But that is not going to happen if we allow this programming and brainwashing without it being called out.  

36 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Maks, You sound like a politician with your arguments,.  CEOs,  politicians, companies, knife makers, Dick's shoppers... it's an almost free country and we are all accountable.  I will give you that we have to reach the middle... But that is not going to happen if we allow this programming and brainwashing without it being called out.  

I know it sounds like it but that is how it is.

Both sides do this, but gun owners are the quickest to eat their own.  We see it everywhere.

The company contributed to both democrats and republicans to the people who were in a position to help the company succeed.

The reality of it is... if we Boycott EVERY company that, there would be no company left to exist.

The people who are making the biggest deal out of it are people who need the drama for page views.  They publish whatever they can before getting both sides of it.

But programming and brainwashing?  What are you smoking?

Benchmade did what was best for their business.  They should have given to both sides but that is an error on their part not thinking people would look it up.  BUT... here is the bottom line... They contribute minuscule amounts of money... and then suddenly, those LIBERAL Democrats are SUPPORTING THE RIGHT TO KEEP KNIVES.  

It's what our entire political system is made to do... Lobbying.  Both sides do it. 

My own experience with it was working with a real estate fund run by a VERY conservative guy... yet, he made sizable donations to Hillary.  (and Trump too)... Why?

Because IF she got elected... you bet your ass she was going to open up the door.

I'm not saying at all it is right, nor am I saying you should go out there and buy Benchmade, I am just explaining how it works.

The dirty secret that gun owners don't want to think about however is that what is good for Gun Business is Bad for Gun Rights.  A number of distributors are heading into BK BECAUSE gun rights are more secure under Trump.  Plenty more are on the brink. 

With this Benchmade story there are only two winners here...

1. The media creators who are spinning this AS FAR as they can so they can make money.

2. Liberals... who THANKS TO GUN NUTS, will spin this into "Knife company breaks ties with gun nuts and contributes to Democrat agenda."

But okay... let's go ahead and support another knife company... I suppose supporting a company who makes knives in China is better? 

But yes, Screw Benchmade... and let's also boycott Glock, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Vista (Federal and others), Kel Tech,

Who else?  

53 minutes ago, Underdog said:

But my personal take on it?

Bad business decision letting PD announce it publicly and worse decision by not paying off Republicans too.

As far as boycotting them? Eh I am not a huge knife guy, I do have 1 or 2 benchmades and do like their knives a lot.

Am I going to go out of my way to buy one?  No... but am I also going to boycott them forever?  I will forget about this in the future.

The only company that I truly boycotted was Cheaper Than Dirt for gouging during the ammo crunch but I did visit their stores in TX and they were fairly well priced there.  Did I buy? No.

As Rayray said in another post... we can boycott every clothing company too, but then we would have no clothes to wear.

We all still use Google, most have Facebook accounts (whether we use them or not), plenty have Amex, Chase and Bank of America accounts, still fly Delta, and most of us use Paypal... ALL COMPANIES THAT SOLD OUT GUN OWNERS.

And the people who are complaining the most about Benchmade?  Are doing it on openly Anti Gun companies like Facebook and Youtube, all companies that have done far more DIRECT harm to gun owners than Benchmade did buying votes for securing Knife rights. 

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

They cut up guns that:

1.  We do not know that to be true

2.  If it is, say NO!  You already donated money to the enemy so why put a spotlight on yourself?!?

If this report is true it seems Safariland was in the same boat last fall, donating to our very own Spartacus: https://tyt.com/stories/4vZLCHuQrYE4uKagy0oyMA/5SOyM3cJ5mA4e26c4EeqOO

Nothing ever came of that one AFAIK. I only ran across that article by accident in a YT comment about Benchmade

15 minutes ago, Shocker said:

If this report is true it seems Safariland was in the same boat last fall, donating to our very own Spartacus: https://tyt.com/stories/4vZLCHuQrYE4uKagy0oyMA/5SOyM3cJ5mA4e26c4EeqOO

Nothing ever came of that one AFAIK. I only ran across that article by accident in a YT comment about Benchmade

Feeding @Maksim, drama.

26 minutes ago, Shocker said:

By: Ken Klippenstein

Nov 28, 2018

5 comments

The head of the company that makes tear gas used on illegal Imigrants at the Tijuana border is also a backer of Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) who donated money to Booker’s most recent campaign and served on the host committee for a Booker fundraiser, records show.

That's a smart move on the teargas maker's part.  Support politicians that keep the illegals coming and sell more teargas.  If the border problem is solved, then no sell no mas teargas.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Maksim said:

They cut up guns that:

These guns were going to be destroyed.  I would think it is helpful for a company to have a good in with their local Police Department.

PD did not go buy guns to destroy.

At the same time... are you saying we should disavowed EVERY gun owner who takes crap guns to a gun buyback for cash?  They should hold them instead?  God forbid a gun gets destroyed?   It's a gun, BFD... can 3D Print another one. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for gun rights and supporting good people, BUT this is largely a non-event, making a mountain out of a mole hill. But seriously... what good does it do to boycott a company that generally supports your viewpoint?

There are not enough hard core gun people to keep the gun industry alive, and certainly not the 2A.

We NEED people in the middle... ostracizing them will only turn them liberal. 

It is not Law, it is the Oregon City PD policy.  Here is a quote from the chief:

“When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”

5 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

It is not Law, it is the Oregon City PD policy.

It should be compulsory for LE to inform people who want to get rid of  unwanted guns that they have an alternative.  I get the guns used in crimes and guns confiscated from people who have become felons, or otherwise unable to legally own firearms. 

But, for the little old lady that has her husband's WW2 bring backs, or the executor of an estate that nobody wants the guns, there should be a law that informs them that those firearms can be transferred to a FFL and sold.

This is the way they get the guns, they kill them by omission.  By not telling people that they can sell their guns instead of transferring them to an FFL, they are accomplishing their gun destroying agenda.  I'm also fairly certain that people who's guns have been confiscated have the right to sell them to an FFL.

They very well may have Scorpio.

I personally speak to every person that comes in to surrender a firearm. I explain to them how our ownership laws work and what they would need to do to keep or sell the firearm. If necessary I provide them with paperwork and offer to help them fill it out. I explain alternate ways to divest themselves of the gun - such as selling it to a shop or a private buyer, or putting it on consignment.

I do everything in my power to get people to do something other than surrender the firearm to the Department - because once it’s ours, it must be destroyed. On very rare occasions for certain unique items, I can get a use order to keep it as a training aid, but the owner has to sign off on that too.

All that being said, of the many dozens of people that have brought firearms in to surrender them, after all the knowledge and time I spend with them, not a single one has ever not surrendered it anyway. Additionally, only two have allowed us to keep their firearm for a training aid. All the rest signed off that they want it to be surrendered to us for destruction.

It is not always the PD that deserves the blame.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

I personally speak to every person that comes in to surrender a firearm. I explain to them how our ownership laws work and what they would need to do to keep or sell the firearm

That is you, and knowing you, I would expect noting less.  With that said, I would wager a weeks pay that in communist Oregon, it's a matter of policy in most PDs that they just take the guns with no further discussion.  There are probably many cops there that would like to inform people of their options, but department policy, set by the political  machine designed to take in and destroy as many guns as possible ties their hands.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

after all the knowledge and time I spend with them, not a single one has ever not surrendered it anyway.

That's truly sad.  I can only imagine what beautiful and historic guns have been destroyed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Springfield Armory 

Rock River Arms

Colt

Don’t forget your beloved Leatherman Company.

And Team Wendy .

Oh, Safariland and Surefire as well.

Oh, and Trump. He has donated to Dems in the past.

It’s the cost of doing business in the modern age. Just accept it and move on.

Politicians play the game - “Pay me or I won’t support your interests”. It’s easier, and cheaper, for the companies to pay. That’s how these “representatives” of the people own million dollar apartments, and have 100s of millions of dollars in the bank on jobs that pay less than $200,000 a year for the average position.

57 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

And Team Wendy .

Politicians play the game - “Pay me or I won’t support your interests”. It’s easier, and cheaper, for the companies to pay. That’s how these “representatives” of the people own million dollar apartments, and have 100s of millions of dollars in the bank on jobs that pay less than $200,000 a year for the average position.

Agreed.

For anyone not convinced, however, I would be more than willing to aid with the surrender of any Benchmade products. I will make sure they're properly disposed of.

8 hours ago, High Exposure said:

And Team Wendy .

I wear Levi's and Converse, should I walk around naked?

Truth be told, Surefire and EOtech (they are guilty as well) have to donate to whoever they need to to obtain government contracts.