Golf battery

Dna genealogy kits

14 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

your dna should never be allowed to be taken without consent imho.

that said, these things are not really that accurate imho.

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

military is different and I recognize it as such. I am referring more to the recent law that suspects can have dna taken

disagree on the 3% margin here however given dna doesn't fall into normal statistical sampling methods.  There is no 95% match in sibling dna, it's either 99.9 or next to zero.  DNA is fascinating, accurate, and does not lie

Military DNA sampling is so there is so there will be no "unknown soldiers" in the future.

If you're arrested police can take a DNA sample.  No different from fingerprints and photo as a means of identification.  If you're not arrested police need a warrant to get a DNA sample AFAIK.

Keep in mind that DNA can also prove your innocence as well as your guilt.  There have been stories in the press about DNA being used to free wrongfully convicted people from prison.

My fingerprints have been on file with the FBI since I was 17 and getting a security clearance when I was going in the Army.  Never has an instance of them being used against me.  I would expect DNA databases maintained by law enforcement to be treated the same way.

Make up your mind are these mail in tests accurate or not?  I am not an expert on DNA  but I know the tests police use are more accurate than the mail in tests.  I also understand that some DNA shares characteristics.  For example Native American DNA shares some with Asian as that's where they originated.

3% is within the margin of error for these mail in tests.  Here's a guy who got 6 different results from 9 mail in tests.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/63997-dna-ancestry-test-results-explained.html

32 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Military DNA sampling is so there is so there will be no "unknown soldiers" in the future.

If you're arrested police can take a DNA sample.  No different from fingerprints and photo as a means of identification.  If you're not arrested police need a warrant to get a DNA sample AFAIK.

Keep in mind that DNA can also prove your innocence as well as your guilt.  There have been stories in the press about DNA being used to free wrongfully convicted people from prison.

My fingerprints have been on file with the FBI since I was 17 and getting a security clearance when I was going in the Army.  Never has an instance of them being used against me.  I would expect DNA databases maintained by law enforcement to be treated the same way.

Make up your mind are these mail in tests accurate or not?  I am not an expert on DNA  but I know the tests police use are more accurate than the mail in tests.  I also understand that some DNA shares characteristics.  For example Native American DNA shares some with Asian as that's where they originated.

3% is within the margin of error for these mail in tests.  Here's a guy who got 6 different results from 9 mail in tests.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/63997-dna-ancestry-test-results-explained.html

yes I know all about the military, the requirements and reasoning and stated that is not an issue or what I meant. 

absolutely against any dna extraction unless guilty, it's the libertarian in me.  I recognize the strain it puts on investigations but it's what I believe in.  I am a strong advocate of innocent until proven guilty would gladly see 99 guilty go free for the sake of one innocent being wrongfully convicted.

If you voluntarily submit to dna upon arrest, great and no issue with it

mail in tests are no different than the test conducted for paternity etc.  DNA is unique in that there are no outliers in the data.  It's a fascinating conundrum for statisticians

And here is my DNA:

A     T     C    G

That's right, I'm not afraid to put it out in the public domain.

Assembling the sequence is left as an exercise for the reader.

Anyone who has ever had blood work go through any lab has their dna in a DB.  Its just whether or not somewhere along the line you gave permission at which point the "regular folks" and more local authorities can put a name to the DNA.   But big brother has all that info behind the curtains anyway. im not saying its legal .. but anyone who thinks the government doesn't collect info like this and other data behind the scenes to be data mined is fooling themselves.

39 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Anyone who has ever had blood work go through any lab has their dna in a DB.  Its just whether or not somewhere along the line you gave permission at which point the "regular folks" and more local authorities can put a name to the DNA.   But big brother has all that info behind the curtains anyway. im not saying its legal .. but anyone who thinks the government doesn't collect info like this and other data behind the scenes to be data mined is fooling themselves.

I dunno...informed consent laws have teeth.   I don't think blood going through a testing lab for routine screening ends up having the DNA extracted and sequenced in secret.    Testing labs are local, there are thousands of them nationwide, and the techs aren't paid well enough that all of them would keep a secret of this magnitude.

51 minutes ago, Lakota said:

The NSA has hacks and backdoors into just about everything hardware and software alike.

Yes, but the local labs aren't extracting and sequencing DNA.   You can't do that at thousands of sites and keep it a secret.   I'm not disputing the long reach of NSA--maybe they know the triglicerides level of everyone who ever sent a sample to the lab--but if the DNA sequence data isn't there, they can't capture it.

11 hours ago, 10X said:

Yes, but the local labs aren't extracting and sequencing DNA.   You can't do that at thousands of sites and keep it a secret.   I'm not disputing the long reach of NSA--maybe they know the triglicerides level of everyone who ever sent a sample to the lab--but if the DNA sequence data isn't there, they can't capture it.

ok I see your point.