Sniper

Anyone know a guy that does vehicle wraps or vinyl graphics?

Anyone on the forum do that type of work or know anyone else that does? I'm looking to get a RV either wrapped or getting all the vinyl decals redone. Alternatively, even doing a custom repainting of the exterior might fit the bill.

Two we’ve used... BigSplash in Freehold (Halls Mill Rd, just south of Business Route 33) and AirGraphix in Berkeley (used to be in Bayville, now are by Ocean County Airport).

Both owners used to work together, but split a few years back. Big Splash, I just really don’t like the owner (I work for a decently sized plumbing company, and always got the impression he couldn’t care less if he got our business). AirGraphix, a little higher cost... but do feel trucks done there have held up better over time.

We are out of Farmingdale, so are a few minutes away from Freehold... maybe 30 from Berkeley. New trucks have been going to AirGraphix for at least the past two years.

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

AirGraphix, a little higher cost... but do feel trucks done there have held up better over time.

Thanks for that info.

What type of longevity have you seen from the wraps before they start to peel or fade? I know they're not designed for long term, but how many years seems to be average?

I don’t have any personal experience with this company, but I know a couple of people that have used them to make vinyl vehicle decals. They were pretty happy. 

https://www.wrapit360.com/full-wrap?cam=ppc-m-m170317-c623836-g1581723-&ClickAttributionId=782dd01073ef1322e5ec8c62b3e55b78

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Thanks for that info.

What type of longevity have you seen from the wraps before they start to peel or fade? I know they're not designed for long term, but how many years seems to be average?

We’ve been swapping trucks out anywhere between 8 and 5 years old... the older ones were in service for about a year when we switched to wraps (old style lettering). The 2007 to 2009 GM trucks had something wrong with the paint, and we had a few peel off the hood outside of warranty... wrapping the hood was an easy fix. Not going to have an exact color match for white... just from personal experience.

They all have warranties, but unsure if there is a difference between commercial and personal use. Have only seen one or two fade, but at least one was after the engine overheated (wrap actually bubbled). If you splash purple primer on it, it will stain... and then hitting it with clear primer will usually cause it to eat away (watched someone do that). If you do something on the front and are an aggressive driver... you’ll see chips, but not as bad as chipped paint. Also, consider where you are parking it. Pine needles are acidic, I know two examples where the wrap was messed up due to that.

We did have one from Freehold that was a defective vinyl (was recalled), and actually redid the complete truck over (guy screwed parts of the wrap up in an accident, so worked out well). For the trucks we’ve taken out of service... definitely a lot easier to remove lettering than the individual lettering we used to do, which always left dirt outlines that needed to be removed. Wrap... heat gun, and you’ll be done somewhat quick. And after it was removed, you tend to have the same condition it was when installed.

When we take trucks out of service, most of the time it is due to mechanical issues. 5+ years... the wrap will show age, but it isn’t terrible. We have trucks that have been wrapped since 2011, and the vehicle itself is doing worse than the wrap. Worst places... external edges below the door (edge of doorsill, where you feet rub), and places where you have high use (box handles, backside of steps).

I’ll be honest, I forget what maintenance recommendations are. My boss got on his waxing the trucks once a year kick, so don’t know if that is ok or not (haven’t seen issues with the trucks that were waxed). We have an employee who washes trucks each Sunday, and tire shines the hell out of them... no problems there. Same place lettered my boss’ personal truck with the company name (not a wrap, but individual lettering; came off the same machine that prints the wrap), and he goes through the car wash WAY TOO MUCH... no peeling.

That was really helpful information. I'm planning on doing the exterior of a new RV, so it won't come close to the daily activity, driving and manhandling like your work truck gets. My concern is all the cutting and fitting around windows, hatches, vents and if they end up being an area that makes it easier for the wrap to start peeling. If the wrap lasts at least 5 years, that wouldn't be half bad.

My other choice is to get it custom painted, then put some cosmetic vinyl decals on it, thinking that the paint might last longer than the wrap. But I'd still be dealing with how the vinyl decals age, peel or fade. From some ballpark estimates, it's sounds like the paint is a lot more expensive than the wrap.

Any idea what that guy charged to wrap your trucks?

Painting takes way more hours of labor than wrapping with vinyl but it will definatly last longer if taken care of properly and if the paint prep was done properly. A cheap paint job will cost more than vinyl and last just as long. 

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

Painting takes way more hours of labor than wrapping with vinyl but it will definatly last longer if taken care of properly and if the paint prep was done properly. A cheap paint job will cost more than vinyl and last just as long. 

That's exactly what I've been wrestling with. I believe the paint will last longer, the question is, I don't know how long I'll be owning this thing. If the novelty wears off after a few years, and I sell it, then longevity isn't an issue. If, for some crazy way, I keep it for 10+ years, then paint sounds like the better route.

Although, Screwball said they have a truck wrapped in 2011 that's still OK.. Maybe the type of vinyl used makes a difference? Time for some additional homework.

I was out with the flu most of last week. Did a few things on Friday, then had to oversee a job on Saturday... which did me in. Feeling a little better, but unsure if I’m working tomorrow (depends on how I feel in the morning).

I’ll take some pictures of a few of the wrapped trucks. I think we might still have one of the overheated wrapped hoods, or one that was under pine trees... if it is in the yard. That way, you’ll see good and bad examples.

I’m familiar with RVs, but as said... if you are going to keep it a few years, might be worth it. My boss had two, and remember the sides getting scratched up the first time he came up his driveway with it (his smaller on, current is 60’ with dual rear axles). Cutting in vents/windows shouldn’t be too hard. Most of our trucks are either Express vans or Express Cutaways with utility bodies... the bodies with quite a few different angles and multiple side doors. I’ve seen at least one RV at AirGraphix... pulling into Big Splash, I’d be cautious if anything over 28’ long.

I think it takes a night just for printing the wrap for our full truck... so I’m guessing it will be a little longer for an RV. Think they get them wrapped within a day.

Whatever route you go, stick with whoever you choose. We had AirGraphix do a truck, stopped using them for a period due to the distance to travel to pick them up... and had one of our accounts poke a hole in the side door. New panel, but then had Big Splash redo that panel. Did an ok job, but you can tell the different printing. Companies usually save the file, so if you need to redo a part, they can do it quicker/cheaper.

23 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Whatever route you go, stick with whoever you choose. We had AirGraphix do a truck, stopped using them for a period due to the distance to travel to pick them up...

Actually, I had send a few photos over to AirGraphix to get a ballpark estimate, and they came back reasonable, so I was going to contact them. Plus, they're relatively close by, so that's a plus too. There aren't a lot of companies around doing this stuff.