Paul B

Registering a rifle

A friend's husband passed away last year.  He owned a rifle purchased in Montana where it was not required to be registered. What does she need to file or do in NJ to legally own it, use it or sell it. She doesn't have a purchasers Id card or anything. Thanks for your help. 

58 minutes ago, Paul B said:

What does she need to file or do in NJ to legally own it, use it or sell it. 

35 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

She does not need to do anything as long as the rifle is NJ legal.  It's hers now.

Well, that's assuming she inherits all his belongings per his Will. I'll assume she does, unless there's other stipulations in his Will (previous marriage, kids, pets, etc.).

She may transport a long gun directly to and from the range without a Firearms Purchaser ID Card (FPID), also to and from a gun shop or gunsmith (FFL). The P in FPID means Purchaser, not transporter.

If she gets stopped, which I recommend she does not (no speeding, all lights working, full stops at stop signs etc.) She is under no obligation to blurt out "I HAVE A GUN!!!".

If she does get stopped, and she is asked if she has any weapons, she should not lie.  Just keep it simple like "yessir, on my way to the range".  KISS  Keep it simple.  If she is going to shoot, she should join a range so she can show she is a member, which exempts her from having to produce a FPID card

As others have suggested, make sure her rifle is legal to own in NJ.  Wikipedia is not the ultimate authority on the subject, but it's the easiest place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Jersey#cite_note-3

If she is interested in learning to shoot, or wants to shoot on a regular basis, I suggest she join the forum and gets involved in one of the women's groups.

8 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

She may transport a long gun directly to and from the range without a Firearms Purchaser ID Card (FPID), also to and from a gun shop or gunsmith (FFL). The P in FPID means Purchaser, not transporter.

If she gets stopped, which I recommend she does not (no speeding, all lights working, full stops at stop signs etc.) She is under no obligation to blurt out "I HAVE A GUN!!!".

If she does get stopped, and she is asked if she has any weapons, she should not lie.  Just keep it simple like "yessir, on my way to the range".  KISS  Keep it simple.  If she is going to shoot, she should join a range so she can show she is a member, which exempts her from having to produce a FPID card

As others have suggested, make sure her rifle is legal to own in NJ.  Wikipedia is not the ultimate authority on the subject, but it's the easiest place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Jersey#cite_note-3

If she is interested in learning to shoot, or wants to shoot on a regular basis, I suggest she join the forum and gets involved in one of the women's groups.

^^^Best answer!

To the OP:

And I'll add that non-residents can transport guns legally into & out of NJ for practice and matches, so before the entire peanut gallery goes berserk with this great answer, I just nipped it in the bud.  A NJFPID card is NOT required to transport UNLESS you desire the freedom to deviate from the "Directly to & From" Rule, meaning w/o one you must travel the shortest distance to get that evil death machine off of the NJ highways by going TO the Range & BACK HOME again, without stopping for routine everyday items such as mail, milk, eggs, bread, or that pair of shoes on a one day sale at Macy's.  Hollow point ammo needs to be treated like a hand gun employing the same "Directly to & from" Rule.  Yes, NJ is that stupid, and YES, no exception for long gun (rifle) hollow points.  So if she has cheap HP 7.62 x 39mm for an AK platform rifle, she needs to be especially careful with her transportation.

AR platforms are especially evil (regardless of caliber--including pistol caliber carbines) and a list of evil features needs to be adhered to (as previously mentioned).

Most here will say that she needs a NJFPID card to live happily ever after.  If she desires to buy pistol ammo inside NJ that is the case.  If she travels to Free America to buy ammo to feed her guns, she can stay completely off the Radar Screen, UNLESS she wishes to purchase additional gunz...