myhatinthering

Beacon scrap metal for spent shells

Shells? As in spent shotgun shells? Most are steel not brass and not worth scraping. 

If your mean spent rifle and pistol casings if you dont want to sell it just give it to a reloader. Destroying once fired brass is like destroying a rifle because you dont want it. 

• Agree 1

Separate it via caliber, scrap the bent or unreloadable casings and sell the rest here.  Or trade it for goods.

A 5 gallon bucket of brass is usually 80 bucks in cash, but that number fluctuates daily.

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Separate it via caliber, scrap the bent or unreloadable casings and sell the rest here.  Or trade it for goods.

A 5 gallon bucket of brass is usually 80 bucks in cash, but that number fluctuates daily.

I have a total of 5 buckets from last year and not separating it, too much of a hassle to be honest.  It's mostly 9mm, 5.56 but there is also a decent amount of 38/357 and 308.  Do have some 30-06, 45 but like I said, too much of a hassle.

really just curious if anyone has ever done this before. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I have, you get more money in trade than in scrap.  

I hear you but not going through it.  I see they sell 5lb buckets of 223/556 for 175 and I've got at least 3 of those if I separated and at least 1 full of 9mm.  fk that, just bring to beacon and walk out...lol

I've got zinc stuff too but not as much.  that is mostly 38

16 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

I hear you but not going through it.  I see they sell 5lb buckets of 223/556 for 175 and I've got at least 3 of those if I separated and at least 1 full of 9mm.  fk that, just bring to beacon and walk out...lol

I've got zinc stuff too but not as much.  that is mostly 38

I find separating brass, relaxing.

For separating... this makes it easier...

Shell Sorter

If you want easy scrap, there is a company that you register online, weight the brass, they give you a shipping label and mail it in.  $1.40 per lb.  Capital Cartridge. 

7 minutes ago, Maksim said:

For separating... this makes it easier...

Shell Sorter

If you want easy scrap, there is a company that you register online, weight the brass, they give you a shipping label and mail it in.  $1.40 per lb.  Capital Cartridge. 

that's pretty cool!  Beacon in Amboy is 1.50 and I don't mind going there but thank you

16 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I will separate it, where are you?

appreciate that but no worries

not sure how you can find that relaxing, man it's just like scratching your eyes to me. 

Just to say... if it is rifle brass, 223, 308, etc... I would separate that and sell it yourself, here, folks would snap it up.

Pistol brass not as great especially if 9mm... but if 45 or oddball stuff, separate and sell. Or find someone to separate and split with you.