Ray Ray

JK tire recommendations

1 hour ago, 0Jeep4 said:

BF K02 

52 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I second this! I have them on my wrangler they are great. Specifically the T/A KO2

Seriously, I was looking at these exact ones but I was unsure.  Thanks.

I had the BFG'S on my truck good rain and snow tire, but when I went to my property the mud packed them and it was like being on ice. so if you don't go in any muddy situations they are great tire. I switched back to firestone destination A/T

I just put MT's on my Jeep. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Green-Max-Traveler-M-T-LT31X10-50R15-Load-C-6-Ply-MT-Mud-Tires/352238703604?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Thanks 1

The problem with A/T tires is finding a good balance between performance , ride comfort and noise.  Aggressive tires will get the job done in sand, mud and off road, but won't always be good in snow or rain.  Tires that perform well when it's raining won't be as good in the snow or mud.  The best wet road tires are designed to move water out of the tread, but don't do much for off road.  Snow tires may work off road and on beaches, but wet road stopping performance is usually terrible and they are so noisy they will drive you insane on a long highway road trip.

You have to figure out what performance attributes work for you.  If 95% of your driving is on road and your off road driving is not exactly extreme, then I'd stay away from chunky knobby tires.  If your vehicle is dedicated to off road, like getting to remote hunting spots or trout streams, then you can live with the ride and noise for the 5% of your time you spend in the vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been lucky with scoring used sets for my '08 JKU, now at 100k miles and just on my 3rd set of tires.  I wore down the OEM 17" Goodyear Wranglers and rotated the spare the so I wouldn't be tempted to get another set.  I then grabbed a mounted set of the 18" Duelers from someone.  I thought those were great on the road and they did well enough in snow for me.  

I recently got a set of BFG Mud Terrain T/A and they do look cool but they eat a bit more gas and are a tad loud.  If I had to buy a set new, I'd really consider the Duelers again because of their road manners.

• Thanks 1

I had great luck with the Firestone Destination LE's (Gen 1 & Gen 2) on my last two vehicles. Two sets on an RX300 and a set on the last of the solid-axle, AWD Grand Cherokee's left me with a positive impression. Great road tire, great in rain, quiet and a high-mileage tire. Because both vehicles had AWD I never had issues in any snow situation. If you're driving the roads on NJ they're all you need. 

I also recommend the Michelin LTX M&S. (Original tires on the Grand Cherokee, also used these on my Suburban and an Explorer back in the 90's.) Both vehicles were on and off-road throughout their lifetime. 

My old, smaller Cherokee never performed well off-road until I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's on it. With these I went everywhere reasonable. It was an 'okay' road tire, but better in the slop. 

17 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

The problem with A/T tires is finding a good balance between performance , ride comfort and noise.  Aggressive tires will get the job done in sand, mud and off road, but won't always be good in snow or rain.  Tires that perform well when it's raining won't be as good in the snow or mud.  The best wet road tires are designed to move water out of the tread, but don't do much for off road.  Snow tires may work off road and on beaches, but wet road stopping performance is usually terrible and they are so noisy they will drive you insane on a long highway road trip.

You have to figure out what performance attributes work for you.  If 95% of your driving is on road and your off road driving is not exactly extreme, then I'd stay away from chunky knobby tires.  If your vehicle is dedicated to off road, like getting to remote hunting spots or trout streams, then you can live with the ride and noise for the 5% of your time you spend in the vehicle.

The point of A/T tires is more of an all around tire, some lean more towards off road and some lean more on road. Honestly, they are great at neither. 

M/T tires are a different beast, they are designed off road and rarely contain sipes. The rubber is usually much harder to prevent chunking. They are awsome just about anywhere off road based on tread.

Snow specific tires for trucks are the same for cars and handle amazing on road in wet slick conditions. They would be a terrible off-road choice for anything. 

For deep snow, lose sand, and mud.. you want M/T tires. 

If you don't take your Jeep offroad, then getting A/T's is pointless. If you do take your Jeep off road then you want M/T's.. quite the conundrum.

34 minutes ago, fishnut said:

The tires are, they are the same ones I put on my TJ and I recommended to you. Now when you going to get rid of those ugly chrome door handles and mirrors? Lol

Honestly, they are just protective covers.  They snap on and snap off.  They only serve me to keep the dings and scratches from forming on the plastic underneath.   This isn't my daily driver, it's my wife's.   My jeep is even less than a jeep to you, even though it has a V8 and good tires.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Honestly, they are just protective covers.  They snap on and snap off.  They only serve me to keep the dings and scratches from forming on the plastic underneath.   This isn't my daily driver, it's my wife's.   My jeep is even less than a jeep to you, even though it has a V8 and good tires.

I already knew it's your wife's jeep but seriously you should paint them white. Dings and scratches give jeeps character. 

Nothing wrong with a V8 in a jeep the super jeeps and golden eagle's are awsome. I'd love to rebuild a golden eagle and supercharge it. I'd also love to get a 70's grand wagoneer and drop a large v8 in it. 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

I already knew it's your wife's jeep but seriously you should paint them white. Dings and scratches give jeeps character. 

Nothing wrong with a V8 in a jeep the super jeeps and golden eagle's are awsome. I'd love to rebuild a golden eagle and supercharge it. I'd also love to get a 70's grand wagoneer and drop a large v8 in it. 

My daily driver is an 04 GC.  Leather, sunroof, top of the line for 2004.  4.5L V8 that is fast.

those goodyear pos tires didnt make the first oil change on my JK. worst tires ive ever had. damn focus came with better rubber on it.

i have NEVER had a good experience with goodyear tires. i hear duratraks are the exception, not trying out on my dime. and ill throw out the ase cert as credentials to back up such harsh words.

I like BF goodrich personally, have run a few from LT to ZR on various things with favorable results.

if i had my way id be on 35" km2s, but the 285/70R17 BFG ATs will do for now. they replaced 255 Km1s

48389369_10218642288390380_6661651248560