simmons

FID Change Of Address

I recently Moved and went to  change my FID Card to my new address.  First and foremost my new town has been very friendly and helpful with this process.  What I didn't know is that it's basically like starting over Minus the $5.00 for the initial card.  I have to get Fingerprinted again.  This time at my own expense, When I initially got my card 10 Years ago I did it right at the Police station .  They also need to send letters for 2 references.  I was always under the impression that changing address was just that a change of address because all these steps were done years ago.   Has anyone changed there's lately an Gone through this same process again ?   

Yes.  Changed addresses 2x in the past few years.  Initial fingerprinting was done at the PD - had to change that to the IdentGo/Sagem Morpho prints done at the identity place.... 2nd address change was able to access the old records from IdentGo which was nice.

Always need to send letters for references - whether changing FID Address or just applying for additional permits.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, PK90 said:

You should never have to get refingerprinted. Your PD is too lazy to get your file from your previous PD.

I thought they had to get it regardless? My New PD appologized i had to wait 1.5 months because the old one was slow sending everything over. Arent your fingerprints now with the state and part of the BG check?

When I did an address change, I had to go to the local PD and go thru the paperwork (references, but no finger printing) again.  I can't recall if they actually sent out references for a simple address change, but I definitely had to fill it in.

38 minutes ago, moparman426 said:

Sorry to hijack and revive an old thread, but can you do the address change online using the FARS system? Or would I still have to go into the police station for the finger printing, even though it was done many years ago for the FID application? 

You should probably check with the local PD.

I recently did an in-town change of address so I didn't need new fingerprints.  I had to fill out all the forms (and get references) and do the FARS thing, but the process was pretty quick.  I checked with the police clerk who handles the paperwork and asked if there was anything special needed (and also to make her aware that it was coming) and she said that other than not needing fingerprints it was the same as applying the first time.

I'd say 2 1/2 weeks start to finish.

1 hour ago, moparman426 said:

Sorry to hijack and revive an old thread, but can you do the address change online using the FARS system? Or would I still have to go into the police station for the finger printing, even though it was done many years ago for the FID application? 

Looks like you can:

It depends on the purpose for which you are submitting the application. If you have been fingerprinted for firearms before and applying for any of the following reasons, you will pay $21.00 fee for 212A processing:

• Lost or stolen Identification Card
  • Mutilated Identification Card
  • Change of Address on Identification Card
  • Change of Name on Identification Card
  • Permit to Purchase a Handgun

https://www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/Common/FarsFaq

If I remember correctly, if you were last fingerprinted so long ago that it was on a card at the PD you will need to go and have it done again electronically.

Once your prints are in the system electronically you shouldn't need to go again, although some towns seem to make you anyway.