mustang69

I inherited some S&W firearms

All,

Long story short, my mother's husband passed away just before new years day.  Totally unexpected, was recovering from prostate surgery and had a blood clot hit his lungs during physical therapy. 

I didn't know him that well but we got together a couple times to go shooting when he and my mother would visit NJ from Florida.

When he passed my mother told me he wanted me to have his guns.  I'm touched he thought enough to give them to me and now I'm trying to learn more about them. He was a retired Michigan State PD Detective on the vice squad from Detroit in the '80's and 90's.  The stories he could tell...

These appear to have been his duty firearms from the force. 

S&W 39

S&W 5906 (two of them) - mags are scribed with what appear to be LEO badge numbers

S&W model 38 two tone - black frame with chrome/nickel cylinder.  I have the receipt from when he bought this from the Michigan State PD.  Not sure this was ever made as a two tone, so likely the cylinder was changed at some point.

S&W 3000 Shotgun with 18" barrel

I also got a Marlin 336W in 30-30 with scope and sling that doesn't appear to have ever been fired, and a Stevens/Savage model 62 semi-auto 22lr rifle.

Other than the provenance, is there anything special to any of these?

Thanks

@Pizza Bob might be able to weigh in on the revolvers. 

None sound “special” to me other than the fact that they were his. Before my cousin died, he told me repeatedly that he wanted me to have his guns. Unfortunately he never wrote it down anywhere. I offered to buy the only one I really wanted from his brother. He stopped answering my calls, so that gun is not mine. It bums me out to this day. 

Oh well. 

Enjoy the firearms and provenance that goes with these. It may not equate to much to others but should be somewhat special to you. 

Sorry for your loss.

The model 39 is a first generation S&W semi-auto - single stack 9mm. The Illinois State Police were one of the first agencies to go semi and this was the gun they chose. That may have influenced your mother's husband. They have a following but I don't follow them so can't give you an idea of value. Likewise the other S&W semi-auto (a second generation, I believe).

But, the Model 38 is a gem. Airweight (aluminum frame), shrouded hammer and a Pinto to boot. I was going to suggest that you get it "lettered" ($75), but after reading in the S&W "bible" I feel fairly certain (95%) that what you describe is the way it came from the factory.

Details are sketchy (more research would be called for), but the one mention in the reference work is this...

Specials & Variations - Two-Tone variation. Blue frame with stainless cylinder built for Michigan Police Supply. (emphasis mine).

Given what you state in your OP about him being MSP it would make sense that this is what you have. Hang on to it along with any provenance you can document - maybe any documentation of his service with the MSP.

Congrats!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

But, the Model 38 is a gem. Airweight (aluminum frame), shrouded hammer and a Pinto to boot. I was going to suggest that you get it "lettered" ($75), but after reading in the S&W "bible" I feel fairly certain (95%) that what you describe is the way it came from the factory.

Details are sketchy (more research would be called for), but the one mention in the reference work is this...

Specials & Variations - Two-Tone variation. Blue frame with stainless cylinder built for Michigan Police Supply. (emphasis mine).

Given what you state in your OP about him being MSP it would make sense that this is what you have. Hang on to it along with any provenance you can document - maybe any documentation of his service with the MSP.

Congrats!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks.  I have the receipt from when he purchased it from the MSP for $65 and the original box.  I think I also have has last qualifying paperwork after he retired for his CCW.  I also have his IWB and OWB leather S&W holsters for the 38.  The gun shows honest holster wear but not much mechanical wear.  I suppose that's true of most LEO handguns that get used to qualify and then (hopefully) never shot again until the next qualifying session.

There are collectors who specialize in ex-LEO handguns. I imagine that with your documentation and the fact that you have the original box and receipt yours would bring a nice chunk of change.

Adios,

Pizza Bob