Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

Statistics - And the Gun Control Debate

I mentioned in another post about Pittsburgh that I do not personally rely on statistics to support my argument for the Second Amendment.

Statistics are frequently used on both sides of the issue to support their positions. This frequently seems to be pointless, and charts and graphs are produced that seem irrefutable.

And of course, many times the biggest argument is about the supporting 'data'. Which data may or may not be complete and/or accurate.

So I'll try this argument on you, and you guess if it can be 'proved' statistically:

"Car deaths cause gun deaths."

Don't think we can do that? Read this.

Remember that the next time you're listening to a statistical argument. And do you "value intuition and perception over statistical measurements", or not?

Statistics say what the statistician wants them to say.

Ie

There are ~31k motor vehicle deaths a year.  There are ~10k motor vehicle deaths due to alcohol impairment.   Since only 33% of deaths are related to alcohol, and 67% aren't.  Sober drivers are the leading cause of MVDs.

• Like 1