njJoniGuy

Hi Power Rifle 2019 season - MidAtlantic region

For those of you who shoot (or are interested in shooting) NRA and CMP high power competitions (Across the Course, Mid Range Prone, F-Class, Rattle Battle, EIC), attached is the complete schedule of matches for the new season.

Here in our 'local' area, SJSC (200yd), Cumberland (600yd), New Holland (600yd), Bridgeville (600 and 1000yd) and Central Jersey (300yd) are included.

2019 Mid Atlantic Hi Power Matches FINAL.pdf

Here is a link to the NRA website page that included the rulebooks that you can download:

https://competitions.nra.org/competition-resources/rule-books/

Same goes for the CMP matches:

http://thecmp.org/competitions/

Attached is the Match Bulletin for the Across the Course (XTC) matches (200yd) at SJSC

SJSC will also be holding a Military Rifle (non-sanctioned) match on April 14 at 10AM

That bulletin is also attached. It's a fun, no-pressure match for any military-type rifle with iron sights shot on a human silhouette target at 100, 200 and 300 yds in standing (100), kneeling (200), sitting (200) and prone (300)

For the other ranges' matches, the link to their sites are shown on the multi-page pdf attached to the first post in this thread.

SJSC 2019 XTC.pdf

MILITARY RIFLE MATCH 2019.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Wow, fantastic.  Any way we can get some of the pertinent matches, at least the ones in NJ/Eastern Pa into our calendar with links?

Nudge nudge wink wink.

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/calendar/

Be my guest and do the grunt work of de-constructing the big match schedule to enter the individual dates on your calendar. :training:

4 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Be my guest and do the grunt work of de-constructing the big match schedule to enter the individual dates on your calendar. :training:

Going through the list, it only seems like the local clubs are:  Cumberland, SJSC, CJRPC, and in Pa New Holland and York... the rest are relatively far...

You are correct ... AND

Bridgeville Delaware is not exactly around the corner, but they are the closest 1000 yard range and have electronic targets.

Well run matches on the MidAtlantic's premier range for those with 1000yd-capable (competitive) rifles.

21 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

grunt work of de-constructing the big match schedule to enter the individual dates on your calendar. :training:

Would it be easier to pluck the info from the club's website instead of decoding the CMP info.  I've been on the CMP site for a half hour now and am swamped with irrelevant information.

19 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Would it be easier to pluck the info from the club's website instead of decoding the CMP info.  I've been on the CMP site for a half hour now and am swamped with irrelevant information.

Yes, you should reference each club's website, as shown on the master schedule, for Match Bulletins.

The Cumberland Riflemen match info is currently between administrators, and last time I checked the http://www.CumberlandMatches.com site, the individual match bulletins were not yet posted. I expect they will be soon. I can answer specific questions pertaining to the Cumberland matches, as I am on the committee that runs the NRA hi power matches there.

The SJSC site does not include the match bulletins, so I attached them in a post earlier in this thread. I am also one of the people responsible for running those matches.

Most of the matches on the master schedule are NRA matches. The CMP matches are in the minority.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Yes, you should reference each club's website, as shown on the master schedule, for Match Bulletins.

The Cumberland Riflemen match info is currently between administrators, and last time I checked the http://www.CumberlandMatches.com site, the individual match bulletins were not yet posted. I expect they will be soon. I can answer specific questions pertaining to the Cumberland matches, as I am on the committee that runs the NRA hi power matches there.

The SJSC site does not include the match bulletins, so I attached them in a post earlier in this thread. I am also one of the people responsible for running those matches.

Most of the matches on the master schedule are NRA matches. The CMP matches are in the minority.

Does NRA or any long range shooting group have a list of ranges that are say 300 yards + in the tri state area?   I suppose in NJ we pretty much know all public ranges, but out here in PA... so many clubs exist but don't advertise anywhere or sometimes even have websites.

Just found out Palmerton Rod and Gun Club, by Blue Mountain has a 300 yard.

4 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

I am also one of the people responsible for running those matches.

Are thee any matches NRA or CMP where I can compete 200yds with my .223 SPR?  If there are, then I will dig deeper.  I'd like to do the CJRPC 300 but don't have a 300yd range to practice at.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

Are thee any matches NRA or CMP where I can compete 200yds with my .223 SPR?  If there are, then I will dig deeper.  I'd like to do the CJRPC 300 but don't have a 300yd range to practice at.

Well, you can always shoot at 200 or 100 with reduced sized targets. =)  That is what a number of matches do when they do not have the yardage.  Yes, wind would be less of an issue at shorter distances.  @njJoniGuy correct me if I am wrong.  Have not shot matches in a long long time. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Does NRA or any long range shooting group have a list of ranges that are say 300 yards + in the tri state area?   Not that I know of

I suppose in NJ we pretty much know all public ranges, but out here in PA... so many clubs exist but don't advertise anywhere or sometimes even have websites.

Just found out Palmerton Rod and Gun Club, by Blue Mountain has a 300 yard. But as far as I know, they do not hold NRA sanctioned hi power rifle matches

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

It depends on how your SPR is equipped. For example, muzzle brakes and compensators are not legal in NRA sanctioned hi power bullseye matches. Check the NRA Rulebook (referenced earlier) for specific equipment rules.

Maks is right about practicing at shorter ranges on reduced targets.

The 100yd target has a black center about 6" dia

200yd is about 12" dia

300yd is about 18" dia

600yd is about 36" dia

I have reduced targets for 100yds on my computer and I'll attach them. I print them on 8.5x11 paper, and clearly they do not contain all the scoring rings (5 ring is always the outermost ring). Open up a paper shopping bag and staple it to your target board. Staple your printed center to the blank bag and you'll see your hits that miss the 8.5x11 center.

Slow fire standing and rapid fire sitting: Black is 9,10, X

Rapid fire prone is 8, 9,10, X

Slow prone is 7, 8, 9, 10, X

200 reduced for 100.pdf

300 reduced for 100.pdf

600 reduced for 100.pdf

7 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Maks is right about practicing at shorter ranges on reduced targets.

Shooting 100 yards is not the same as 300.  Different dope.  I can make quarter sized groups with my SPR at 100 but if I was to suddenly find myself shooting 300, I probably would have trouble with elevation and windage.

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

Shooting 100 yards is not the same as 300.  Different dope.  I can make quarter sized groups with my SPR at 100 but if I was to suddenly find myself shooting 300, I probably would have trouble with elevation and windage.

Elevation should not be much different as long as you have no issues shooting near the waterfall.

Windage?  Of course.

But... if your groups suddenly start opening up at 100 yards, i.e. going from sub MOA to 2 or 3 MOA... you have gun or ammo problems. =) 

But I would also say... don't freak yourself out... first time I shot open sights out of a Swedish Mauser at a CMP Vintage match I was also "WTF" but quickly learned it is not bad... especially since the targets are pretty damn big. =) 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Elevation should not be much different as long as you have no issues shooting near the waterfall.

Windage?  Of course.

But... if your groups suddenly start opening up at 100 yards, i.e. going from sub MOA to 2 or 3 MOA... you have gun or ammo problems. =) 

But I would also say... don't freak yourself out... first time I shot open sights out of a Swedish Mauser at a CMP Vintage match I was also "WTF" but quickly learned it is not bad... especially since the targets are pretty damn big. =) 

Actually, your dope for 100/200/300/600 is in your elevation setting.

Windage changes are based upon conditions.

11 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Brian,

Does anyone run F Class or Any/Any type matches in the area?

Cumberland, New Holland, and Bridgeville all run mid-range prone and F-class matches (generally the same day and time)

Check their websites for details.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

Are we allowed to use ballistics calculators?

As long as your phone is in "Airplane" mode and does not interfere with safety or match operations, yes.