Sniper

House passes sweeping gun legislation to expand background checks to cover virtually all sales

While you were sleeping or watching the Cohen "Dog and Pony" show, the House (including some Republicans) has been busy taking away MORE of your rights.

The House on Wednesday passed legislation to expand gun-purchase background check requirements to cover virtually all gun sales and most firearms transfers, taking its most far-reaching steps in years on gun control.

The bill passed 240-190, after which gun control advocates who were on hand to observe the vote applauded in the House chamber. Eight Republicans voted yes, and two Democrats voted no.

Many Democrats wore orange for the vote to signify their support for the issue.

Republicans, though, said the legislation will result in otherwise law-abiding citizens getting needlessly swept up into the federal bureaucracy and that it sounded like the first step toward a national gun registry, which conservatives staunchly oppose.

The legislation from Rep. Mike Thompson, California Democrat, would make it illegal for anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer, manufacturer, or importer to transfer a gun to anyone who is not similarly licensed without conducting a background check.

But Mr. Scalise said some of the exemption language is too vague.

“You not only need to bring your hunting partner, you might need to bring your attorney to find out if loaning your shotgun to your friend makes you a felon under this bill,” he said.

The bill includes exemptions, including for gifts to family members and transfers for hunting and target shooting purposes.

The House is also set to vote this week on legislation from House Majority Whip James Clyburn, South Carolina Democrat, that would extend the amount of time a dealer has to wait to hear back from the FBI on whether a would-be purchaser is barred from having a gun before proceeding with a sale.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/27/house-passes-sweeping-gun-legislation/

Congress_Border_Security_71015.jpg-84289

26 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Smith voted Yes on this FYI anyone in our 4th district. 

Doesn't surprise me. I sent an email to him regarding HR38 a few years back. The letter I received in response said everything I needed to know about him and his position on the second amendment. It is nothing but toilet paper to him.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

"hopefully" this awakens all the gun owners nationwide that the #1 topic for the left in 2020 is going to be your constitutional rights.  states such as PA. who are about 1 vote away from becoming a NJ and many others better open their eyes.

They are coming for everything and they better wake the f up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Is that photo above from the hit series the Walking Dead?  That is one fugly unAmerican, unconstitutional monster.

Current American's are largely brainless dumb asses that don't deserve and are incapable of self-governance when they vote in and  let creatures like that govern.   I hope you are right, Revenger.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cemeterys Gun Blob said:

We already have this in NJ, so now it goes national.  

This might be good for NJ, as it might wake a sleeping giant.  On the other hand, if it doesn't then let post Americans get what they deserve as they give up their freedoms.  

I remember reading this article a while ago, so I searched it out. I wish just ONE of the Democrats (or Republicans) who voted for this bill could explain how this law will now prevent the following situation in the Homicide capital of the country, Chicago:

...." Police seize an illegal weapon about once every hour, most connected to gangs on the South and West sides. Authorities cite two reasons for the heavy gun traffic: Penalties for carrying these firearms aren't considered a deterrent and, according to police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, suspects tell officers they "would rather be caught by police with a gun ... than caught by a rival gang without one."

Tracking gang guns is especially difficult because they move from one faction to another, and when police finally seize them, they're rarely in the hands of the purchaser. "Gangs use guns like timeshares," says Andrew Papachristos, a sociology professor at Northwestern University. "They stay in circulation."

Once guns move from the legal to the illegal market, they can bounce around the city with no rhyme or reason, says Celinez Nunez, special agent in charge of the Chicago office of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. She says one gun now being investigated has been used in more than 30 crimes, including homicides and assaults.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/9000-firearms-and-counting-illegal-guns-flood-chicago

I'm sure, if this bill gets signed into law, every one of those young men will be getting background checks, before transferring the gun, right? After all, criminals always follow existing laws.

Oh, wait............

11 hours ago, revenger said:

"hopefully" this awakens all the gun owners nationwide that the #1 topic for the left in 2020 is going to be your constitutional rights.  states such as PA. who are about 1 vote away from becoming a NJ and many others better open their eyes.

They are coming for everything and they better wake the f up.

If they haven't woken up by now, then they never will...........

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

This might be good for NJ, as it might wake a sleeping giant.  On the other hand, if it doesn't then let post Americans get what they deserve as they give up their freedoms.  

There is no sleeping giant in NJ.  

If the mad anti gun bum rush in Trenton back in '13 didn't wake up NJ gun owners back then, nothing will.  

Edited by Cemeterys Gun Blob
reasons
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

But Mr. Scalise said some of the exemption language is too vague.

“You not only need to bring your hunting partner, you might need to bring your attorney to find out if loaning your shotgun to your friend makes you a felon under this bill,” he said.

This is worth repeating because of who said it. Talk about having skin in the game...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

Non-event, especially for us in NJ, and will get trashed in the Senate...Our future is only between the whims of the Murph vs the Supreme court.

I believe this to be quite true.  And that showdown could be coming soon.  

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

interesting, 'cause that letter should/could shoot down ALL of nj's illegal laws, dontcha think?

We could only hope.  Looks pretty specific to the bills in play right now.  I like that the plan would be "veto" by the President, but it should never pass the senate, so very unlikely to make it to his desk.  The 2A is getting kicked and beaten with all these leftists nuts and the unconstitutional nonsense.  SCOTUS has to step it up.  Time to flush out the crap.  

22 hours ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Smith voted Yes on this FYI anyone in our 4th district. 

Here's all you need to know about Smith, he's a traitor to the 2A. I'm going to copy the complete article.

Universal background checks don't erode Second Amendment

Written by Chris Smith:

When I voted for the Brady Law in 1993, which took effect Feb. 28, 1994, it was to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous persons including felons and abusers.         Twenty-five years later — and 300 million background checks that have blocked 3 million purchases to dangerous individuals — few if any today seriously suggest that the Brady law should be repealed.

I support the Second Amendment.  Universal background checks prescribed in H.R. 8 are an attempt to ensure that firearms are procured, owned and used by responsible, law abiding citizens.

According to the Brady Campaign, about one in five guns now sold in America are done without a background check.  That’s a significant loophole.

According to the CDC, there was a record 39,773 deaths from firearms in 2017 — 23,854 were self-inflicted and 14,542 were homicides.

To mitigate gun violence in America, H.R. 8 expands Brady background checks to transactions by private sellers not currently covered by the law. 

Multiple school shootings have led to robust, comprehensive action at every level to make classrooms safer.  I have visited many schools in my district, and I have found that while the threat is being taken seriously, no one policy, program or initiative can ensure the level of protection our students need and deserve.

No constitutional right is absolute, including the Second Amendment.  The First Amendment’s freedom of speech, for example, has reasonable limits including the promulgation of slander and libel law. 

To preserve public order, we accept reasonable restrictions on the freedom to assemble.  Even freedom of religion isn’t without some modest boundaries. In like manner, universal background checks don’t erode Second Amendment rights but do help ensure much-needed protection from gun violence for everyone.

Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J.

4th Congressional District  

https://www.app.com/story/opinion/readers/2019/02/28/universal-background-checks-dont-erode-second-amendment-letter/3008418002/

• FacePalm 1

18 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Well the vote didn't go exactly as Nancy Pelosi wanted. Oops!

We're going to flag the illegal aliens!

(Well, no since the Senate won't pass it and Trump will veto it if they do.)

At least 4 of our Congressional Dims here in the PRNJ broke ranks with Pelosi and voted to allow FFLs to report prohibited illegal aliens to ICE.

Now, if we can get the Federal govt to finally begin prosecuting those who are denied for things like lying on the 4473, we'd be in better shape.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 7:20 AM, Underdog said:

What I don’t understand is why no judge would rule this law, in part already effective in NJ, to be violating our constitutional right to keep and bear arms?

So that right is good enough for Americans, except those in NJ and NY.......?

The left judge shops... why doesn’t the right use the same tactic? I feel like I’m missing something.   Seriously. The anti 2A gang games the judicial system with zero consequences.  It there a reason pro 2A groups don’t do it? Or at least not successfully.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, Sniper said:

Here's all you need to know about Smith, he's a traitor to the 2A. I'm going to copy the complete article.

Universal background checks don't erode Second Amendment

Written by Chris Smith:

When I voted for the Brady Law in 1993, which took effect Feb. 28, 1994, it was to keep firearms out of the hands of dangerous persons including felons and abusers.         Twenty-five years later — and 300 million background checks that have blocked 3 million purchases to dangerous individuals — few if any today seriously suggest that the Brady law should be repealed.

I support the Second Amendment.  Universal background checks prescribed in H.R. 8 are an attempt to ensure that firearms are procured, owned and used by responsible, law abiding citizens.

According to the Brady Campaign, about one in five guns now sold in America are done without a background check.  That’s a significant loophole.

According to the CDC, there was a record 39,773 deaths from firearms in 2017 — 23,854 were self-inflicted and 14,542 were homicides.

To mitigate gun violence in America, H.R. 8 expands Brady background checks to transactions by private sellers not currently covered by the law. 

Multiple school shootings have led to robust, comprehensive action at every level to make classrooms safer.  I have visited many schools in my district, and I have found that while the threat is being taken seriously, no one policy, program or initiative can ensure the level of protection our students need and deserve.

No constitutional right is absolute, including the Second Amendment.  The First Amendment’s freedom of speech, for example, has reasonable limits including the promulgation of slander and libel law. 

To preserve public order, we accept reasonable restrictions on the freedom to assemble.  Even freedom of religion isn’t without some modest boundaries. In like manner, universal background checks don’t erode Second Amendment rights but do help ensure much-needed protection from gun violence for everyone.

Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J.

4th Congressional District  

https://www.app.com/story/opinion/readers/2019/02/28/universal-background-checks-dont-erode-second-amendment-letter/3008418002/

I think we can afford to lose his seat as a payback for his repeated betrayal.  It’s worth contacting his office and telling him so.

Don’t vote for this guy.  We deserve better representation.

• Like 1

In addition to this one arsehole, there are 8 other Dem congresscritters from the PRNJ who are original co-sponsors of H.R.1296 the latest proposal by the Dems to institute a new Assault Weapons Ban, much more restrictive than the Clinton AWB of 1994.

Those 8 arseholes are as follows:

Rep. Malinowski, Tom [D-NJ-7]

Rep. Norcross, Donald [D-NJ-1]

Rep. Pallone, Frank, Jr. [D-NJ-6]

Rep. Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [D-NJ-9]

Rep. Payne, Donald M., Jr. [D-NJ-10]

Rep. Sires, Albio [D-NJ-8]

Rep. Watson Coleman, Bonnie [D-NJ-12]

Rep. Sherrill, Mikie [D-NJ-11]

They ALL have to go, imho.