I am on the fence about purchasing a larger Safe. My issue is i really don't have space in the house for it but can put it in my non temperature controlled  garage. The garage is very secure with locks, alarm and video so theft is the least of my worries. My concern is rust. I have not noticed any metal rusting in my garage as far as tools etc. Do you think it would be ok to store them in garage?  I've read that golden rods do a good job but do not know anyone who has them.

I have a golden rod in my safe, but my safe is in the basement.   Does a good job as far as i can see.  I have a SafeAlert monitor inside that among other things watches the humidity as well.  I've never had any issue with high humidity through the summer... I do deal with low humidity a bit in the winter though.  My Basement is not completely climate controlled but also not subject to the wide range of temperatures a garage could be subjected to.  In the warmer months my  basement room that the safe is will range from 65 to 80 degrees and in the cooler months 50 to 75 degrees.  Cant say how a goldenrod would do if the ambient temps were 20 to 40 or below.

1 hour ago, GramGun79 said:

I've read that golden rods do a good job but do not know anyone who has them.

For a garage, you need multiple items, because of the temperature and humidity swings. A goldenrod just produces heat. You also should have ways to absorb any water.

Some are using Eva Dry systems and you can also order plain bags of desiccant from Amazon that can be recharged and dried out in a oven.

Also, with a goldenrod you have to run a wire into the safe. If it's a fireproof safe, that can be an issue too.

My gun safe has been in my garage for the last 15 years. I have an Eva dry and a couple of desiccant bags in it. I have never seen rust on anything stored in my safe. Don't overthink this or go crazy. Is anything else in your garage covered in rust? Tool, sporting equipment, your car?? Keep it simple, be a little diligent with the Eva recharge, and you will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Danno said:

My gun safe has been in my garage for the last 15 years. I have an Eva dry and a couple of desiccant bags in it. I have never seen rust on anything stored in my safe. Don't overthink this or go crazy. Is anything else in your garage covered in rust? Tool, sporting equipment, your car?? Keep it simple, be a little diligent with the Eva recharge, and you will be fine. 

No nothing at all. All my  tools, bikes etc. seem to be rust free. I will look harder when i get home. 

It's the spring, fall and warm winter days that will kill your stuff. ALL it takes is a little warm up and a little bit of humidity trapped in the garage and you will have a nice layer of water on everything that is still cold. If there are ever days the windows look hazy from condensation, i would avoid at all costs putting it in there. 

It depends on the micro climate.... I would never let a safe near my garage. I have seen water drip off my tool chest before when the conditions are just right.. some days i cant even see out of my windows. 

I've had rust form on reloading equipment in a temperature/humidity controlled basement. I cant oil some of this stuff up unfortunately.. So just be super careful.