Bowling Ball

Shooting steel in central NJ

6 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Does range 14 allow steel?  Been a while since there.

Also, if in Hamilton area... I believe there are a few clubs in Pa closer than easton.

Langhorne Rod and Gun club is 20 minutes away, but the waiting period is over a year as of now!

49 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

You cant shoot any steel you want at sjsc   Probably about a 55 min ride for you. 

SJSC sounds good, is it busy during the week? 

1 hour ago, papulski said:

Range 14

That's a great idea but closed on 3 of 4 of my normal days off! (shift work). I'm off Sunday too, but usually busy with family stuff.

17 minutes ago, MacDan said:

Range 14 allows steel at the maximum 200 yds of the range. 

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Langhorne is the one I was thinking about.

If you go further west you also have York, New Holland and a few others... some long range clubs too.

There are also a few PA gun clubs in the Hellertown area and a few around Doylestown.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bowling Ball said:

Steel targets, not competitive enough for matches!

That is a false assumption!  You do not need to be good to shoot matches... Just need to be SAFE!  Most of the local matches are filled with weekend warriors.  As long as you are safe, you are more than welcome!  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Maksim said:

That is a false assumption!  You do not need to be good to shoot matches... Just need to be SAFE!  Most of the local matches are filled with weekend warriors.  As long as you are safe, you are more than welcome!  

Agree. I just started last year myself. It’s a ton of fun. You’ll never want to shoot paper again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bowling Ball said:

Steel targets, not competitive enough for matches!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are the kinda guy that does not like to compete in anything you are not good at.  Whether this is the case or not, keep this in mind.  Whenever you are in a competition, your true opponent is yourself.  You may think it's the people you are competing with, the operative word here is "WITH", but the one you are truly competing against is yourself. 

If one can put their ego aside, and do the necessary things today, the person they become tomorrow will be stronger.  That only happens when one challenges themselves.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

And a quick reminder... you generally do not need to be a member of the club that is holding the match, to shoot the match.  Steel, USPSA, IDPA.  

So going to the matches held there is also generally a good way to check out the club and its facilities!

• Like 1

So if you are in Hamilton, take a look at https://www.ftrpa.com/about/membership/

Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association.  Right across the border, indoor and outdoor ranges.

can't believe I never heard about it. lol. 

There is also Bucks County Fish and Game outside Doylestown.... http://bcfg.org/announcements/?page_id=22

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

So if you are in Hamilton, take a look at https://www.ftrpa.com/about/membership/

Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association.  Right across the border, indoor and outdoor ranges.

can't believe I never heard about it. lol. 

There is also Bucks County Fish and Game outside Doylestown.... http://bcfg.org/announcements/?page_id=22

Thanks Maksim!

Does FTRPA allow steel?  I can't find the rules on their page.  They are 15 minutes away from me,  so close!

Ive been too falls a few times.  They do have openings there. You need to go there as a guest 4 times and register it in the book. I think one time needs to be for a match.  Ive shot my 50 cal there at the 200. No restrictions on that. My only gripe.  You can only load 5 rds at a time. And yes. Even on a revolver.  They also have an indoor range.  They do have some steel set up on the 100 yd.  not sure about bringing your own though.  If you do the work party your dues go down.  I think its only around 160 a year.  Its a pretty well hidden range.  Ill ask my friend that belongs there about the steel. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are the kinda guy that does not like to compete in anything you are not good at.  Whether this is the case or not, keep this in mind.  Whenever you are in a competition, your true opponent is yourself.  You may think it's the people you are competing with, the operative word here is "WITH", but the one you are truly competing against is yourself. 

If one can put their ego aside, and do the necessary things today, the person they become tomorrow will be stronger.  That only happens when one challenges themselves.

You're right! I do feel as though competing against people with decades of experience is intimidating. But if everyone is as cool as everyone here, it does sound very fun!

35 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Ive been too falls a few times.  They do have openings there. You need to go there as a guest 4 times and register it in the book. I think one time needs to be for a match.  Ive shot my 50 cal there at the 200. No restrictions on that. My only gripe.  You can only load 5 rds at a time. And yes. Even on a revolver.  They also have an indoor range.  They do have some steel set up on the 100 yd.  not sure about bringing your own though.  If you do the work party your dues go down.  I think its only around 160 a year.  Its a pretty well hidden range.  Ill ask my friend that belongs there about the steel. 

That's very reasonable, the 5rd thing is bleh, but for the distance I could deal with it.

It seems like a nice club, I'm going to give them a call this afternoon. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason, I think SJSC would be the next best thing! 

Edited by Bowling Ball
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

50 cal?  And you hid this gem of a range from us?!?! =)

In 10 years living in NJ as a gun owner, would of gladly done all I can to join there. =)

16 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Bb.  No its not busy during the week. Dead during the week day.  250$ a year 15$ guest fee no wait to join. 

Just a quick clarification to Golf Battery’s post, there is no wait list, but you do have to attend SJSC’s orientation class to join (usually scheduled for a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon).

Check the clubs website for dates and times, I believe they run the orientation class once a month. The good thing, you get your range ID card on the day of class and you can walk out and shoot that day.

Side note, If you want to try out some (let’s not call it “competitive” shooting, we’ll call it “shooting sports”). another club, Quinton Sportsmen’s Club runs great events. Again, check their website for Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun. New shooters are usually welcome and encouraged (this is most likely true with the shooting sports at any venue). All you need to know and understand to start is that they are very serious about safety, after that be comfortable with handling your firearm, let them know you are a new guy, take your time, follow directions...no matter where you are today, you’ll be better tomorrow- that and you’ll have a lot of fun and meet some great people.

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

50 cal?  And you hid this gem of a range from us?!?! =)

In 10 years living in NJ as a gun owner, would of gladly done all I can to join there. =)

Sorry. Its funny how every pull of the trigger it would set off all the car alarms in the parking lot.   Great stuff. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nucrunner said:

Just a quick clarification to Golf Battery’s post, there is no wait list, but you do have to attend SJSC’s orientation class to join (usually scheduled for a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon).

Check the clubs website for dates and times, I believe they run the orientation class once a month. The good thing, you get your range ID card on the day of class and you can walk out and shoot that day.

Side note, If you want to try out some (let’s not call it “competitive” shooting, we’ll call it “shooting sports”). another club, Quinton Sportsmen’s Club runs great events. Again, check their website for Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun. New shooters are usually welcome and encouraged (this is most likely true with the shooting sports at any venue). All you need to know and understand to start is that they are very serious about safety, after that be comfortable with handling your firearm, let them know you are a new guy, take your time, follow directions...no matter where you are today, you’ll be better tomorrow- that and you’ll have a lot of fun and meet some great people.

Have not RO'ed matches in a bit BUT... believe me, this is the most helpful thing you can do.

Tell them you are new and you will get treated like royalty.  You will get attention, tips and advice (if you want it) and generally, the staff and ROs will prevent you from doing something stupid on your first few matches before you even have a chance to.

Otherwise, if you are NEW... and don't say you are a new shooter, they may simply assume you are just new to the club.  It is not at all uncommon to see people drive 2 or 3 hours to drive to a USPSA match and many NJ folks now drive 2+ hours to a good PA match.

1 minute ago, Golf battery said:

Sorry. Its funny how every pull of the trigger it would set off all the car alarms in the parking lot.   Great stuff. 

HAHA, I meant the range... not the gun... but go ahead... what 50 do you have? =)

15 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

^^^THIS^^^

In general observation, over 47+ years of firearms usage.  Not directed to the OP or anyone in particular, just general info you can "take to the bank":

There are "Plinkers" & there are "Shooters".  I used to be a Plinker.  Then I learned how to SHOOT!

A "Plinker" is scared to death of screwing-up in front of a squad during a match.  They often join private clubs that hold matches (because these clubs DO FUN THINGS or have FUN set-ups), then get pissy when they want to plink during an assigned league match that's on the regular schedule.  These folks rarely last at the club because they don't wish to conform to the club's calendar and use it to improve themselves.  Some are "know-it-all's" that can't figure out how to safe their own firearms correctly.  Conversely, a Shooter adorns the attention, advice, and camaraderie of the private club "league experience".  He/she loves to learn & enjoys saving money by not buying the crap they don't need to shoot a match comfortably.  Learning by doing & constantly improving.  Staying with it long enough to mentor others just starting out in that league discipline.  Having FUN doing it too. 

USPSA, IDPA, Black Powder, Static Steel, Knockdown Steel, Shotgun Clays, Bullseye, High Power Rifle are all available to me in just ONE club.  And I can travel to other clubs and have.  Each league has their "Regulars", and most will help you; all you need do is ASK FOR IT.

Plinking was fun.  Being a well-respected competitor capable of attending multiple league matches (sometimes more than one in a single Sunday morning) at a whim is even more FUNNER :) 

Rosey

1 minute ago, cabalrayz said:

if your not spending every weekend waiting to 4hrs to shoot 100 rounds, how could this hobby be any fun at all.  Us plinkers are doing it all wrong lol 

4? I WISH!

When you decide to give back and show up early to help set up stages, run new shooters through intro, then help for tear down that is easily an 8AM to 4 PM affair... THEN God forbid you decide to do scoring... that takes even more. =P

Seriously, say thanks to the match director and all those who help out. 

It is at that point that you get why the guys who help run the matches don't actually like it after a while. lol.