Bowling Ball

Shooting steel in central NJ

^^^Can you hit a 8" wide target at 200 yards w/o hitting the chain OR twisting the chain (requires 400 yard walk to straighten)?

All steel at Ft. Dix Range 14 must be placed at the Berm (200 yards).

~R

P.S.:  Might wanna consider buying from Glen at Pew-Pew Plates.  His steel is built to LAST!

16 hours ago, Bowling Ball said:

It'll work for 200 yard rifle shooting. 

I prefer 1/2" ar500. It holds up a bit better when laser cut like that is, and the weight keeps you from flipping it when you shoot it.  If you are shooting .223 that would probably be fine at 200 though. 

I use rubber straps rather than chain these days though. Was buying them pre-cut (looked like they were made out of retired motorcycle tires), but I jsut bought a big roll of decommissioned fire hose.  Works great and doesn't matter if someone shoots the strap. 

• Informative 1

On 6/27/2019 at 8:25 AM, raz-0 said:

It'll work for 200 yard rifle shooting. 

I prefer 1/2" ar500. It holds up a bit better when laser cut like that is, and the weight keeps you from flipping it when you shoot it.  If you are shooting .223 that would probably be fine at 200 though. 

I use rubber straps rather than chain these days though. Was buying them pre-cut (looked like they were made out of retired motorcycle tires), but I jsut bought a big roll of decommissioned fire hose.  Works great and doesn't matter if someone shoots the strap. 

Thanks i appreciate the input!

I think they only allow steel at 200, is that the case?

12 hours ago, Bowling Ball said:

Thanks i appreciate the input!

I think they only allow steel at 200, is that the case?

Yes, I believe that is the case, at least it was when I shot there a couple of years ago.

From the Range 14 rules, available here.... http://www.range-14.com/rifle.html

14. Paper targets, plastic jugs, tin cans, plywood targets (no more than 1/8 of an inch thick), and clay targets, are acceptable targets. Above ground targets must be a minimum of 15 yards and all ground targets 25 yards.

15.Glass bottles, bowling pins, plywood (more than 1/8 of an inch thick), batteries, produce of any kind, sports balls including but not limited to, golf balls, baseball, softball, tennis balls, stuffed animals, manikins heads or bodies, archery 3 d targets, toys, electronics, solid wood, and books are NOT permitted to be shot on Range 14.

16. ALL metal targets must be inspected by Range 14 staff, and be a minimum of 200 yards, upon approval.