Jump to content

Recommended Posts

From NJ2AS: 

 

A source close to the Murphy administration has confirmed with NJ2AS that he will be advocating to raise the cost of a firearm identification card to $300 and also raise the cost of a retired law enforcement conceal carry permit to $150. We expect this announcement to occur during his budget address Tuesday afternoon.

Governor Murphy has expressed support to raise the fees in the past. ”It's hard to believe it's actually cheaper to get a permit to purchase a handgun, which is $2, than it is to get a dog license in practically any town in our state," Murphy said at a June 13, 2018, bill signing.

We reached out to Senate Democratic leadership and they decline to comment on speculation.

Historically fees and taxes have been used against minority communities of color to suppress their constitutional rights, such as voting and firearm ownership. Poll taxes were used to prevent minorities and people of color from voting, and laws banning certain types of firearms were enacted to prevent the poor and freed slaves from owning guns.

After the Civil War an influx of inexpensive firearms began to flood the market due to years of overmanufacturing and modernization of manufacturing processes. These factors significantly lowered the cost of firearms and it opened a new marketshare for minorities and low-income customers. In response to this, white supremacists in Tennessee helped enact the “Army and Navy Law” which banned the sale of all handguns except for the most expensive model available at the time, the Army Navy model. In essence it completely ended the ability for poor blacks in the south to be able to purchase firearms.

A more modern and commonly known example of this form of discrimination, that was heavily supported by the KKK, is known as “Saturday Night Special” laws enacted from the 1960’s to 1980’s. These laws specifically banned inexpensive and “junk guns” because they were being used in crimes in low-income neighborhoods, but also purchased by blacks and minorities for self defense. A study by Kleck and Patterson titled ‘The Impact of Gun Control and Gun Ownership Levels on Violence Rates’ found no reduction in crime rates.

In June of 2018, Bryan Miller from an organization called ‘Heading God’s Call to End Gun Violence’ stated to NJ.com: "The state has not raised these fees for 52 years while every other cost in the world has gone up significantly," said Bryan Miller, executive director of the group Heeding God's Call to End Gun Violence. "The governor's budget has these fees in it. The legislative leadership budget does not. Somehow, I don't think that's an accident."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fees are set by statute - in this case 2C:58-3,f, which means that new legislation would have to be passed first - not that that's a difficult thing to do given the Democratic majority in the legislature - but it will at least slow him down and prevent him from raising the fees by executive fiat.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will toe the line to stay below the vague “undue burden”.  Certainly it would be easy to say a fee of $300 is an undue burden for a significant percentage of the population, especially when it has to be renewed every 4 years. 

He will counter that by saying the cost increase is necessary to increase NJSP staffing due to the volume of background checks they now have to perform.  As long as he justifies the increase due to the cost of the program he could win, legally. 

Of course we know the new funds wouldn’t actually go to BGC staffing. They would repurposed elsewhere after implementation. It would take a decade to prove and fight that in courts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

He will toe the line to stay below the vague “undue burden”.  Certainly it would be easy to say a fee of $300 is an undue burden for a significant percentage of the population, especially when it has to be renewed every 4 years. 

He will counter that by saying the cost increase is necessary to increase NJSP staffing due to the volume of background checks they now have to perform.  As long as he justifies the increase due to the cost of the program he could win, legally. 

Of course we know the new funds wouldn’t actually go to BGC staffing. They would repurposed elsewhere after implementation. It would take a decade to prove and fight that in courts. 

He could also have LGS’s call directly to the federal line bypassing the state police and saving money as well... 

There’s that option as well. Or did I miss something?

  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

I CAN'T see this one not going to the courts......

How are the courts working out for us so far? Are you liking having your 30 round mags back?

Oh, wait...

These new laws need to be snuffed out LONG before they even get voted on and signed into law. Once signed, nothing gets repealed.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

How are the courts working out for us so far? Are you liking having your 30 round mags back?

Oh, wait...

These new laws need to be snuffed out LONG before they even get voted on and signed into law. Once signed, nothing gets repealed.

 

Courts take time... and I think the carry case MAY see its light of day in Supreme Court in the near future.

Charging $300 is absolutely nuts though and IS a burden and would quickly be struck down as soon as it went to a court with a brain.

Yes, it would be here in effect for some time, but would eventually be struck down. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Crazy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sniper said:

How are the courts working out for us so far? Are you liking having your 30 round mags back?

Oh, wait...

These new laws need to be snuffed out LONG before they even get voted on and signed into law. Once signed, nothing gets repealed.

 

they haven't been. but thanks to trump, much of the infection is being cured.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, remixer said:

If im not mistaken. there was a case maybe DC or Chicago about the cost of permits..

 

anyone?

 

DC was also about availability.

IIRC, they said it was not limited as there WAS in fact a gun store in DC... but it was run by a liberal and had stupid crazy hours... but because it was there... they were saying rights were not imposed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His plan is diabolical.  He's not attacking guns, its all the peripheral things related.  Mags, P2P, ammo, bear hunt and now fees. He's making it non-affordable and majorly a hassle for new gun owners to come on board.   These suits going one at a time to the SCOTUS either would drive everyone broke or just not get heard.  All this needs to go as "not to be infringed".  All this is an infringement without a doubt.  I really wish it would be gone after once and for all. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BobA said:

His plan is diabolical.  He's not attacking guns, its all the peripheral things related.  Mags, P2P, ammo, bear hunt and now fees. He's making it non-affordable and majorly a hassle for new gun owners to come on board.   These suits going one at a time to the SCOTUS either would drive everyone broke or just not get heard.  All this needs to go as "not to be infringed".  All this is an infringement without a doubt.  I really wish it would be gone after once and for all. 

So keep in mind, this was Obama's playbook with Coal... "We will make it too expensive for them to exist."  

Murphy was Obama's finance chief iirc and then got that cushy post in Germany?

Making it too expensive and too time consuming to shoot and buy guns in NJ is the only way they can curb gun ownership.

Think ammo tax, higher FFL fees.

I am wondering if they will raise FFL fees too... if so, that may surely get rid of a lot of at home dealers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Murphy was Obama's finance chief iirc and then got that cushy post in Germany?

From day 1 with Murphy I've suspected his socialistic ideas and plans came from his appointment.  I know from my time living in Germany this my be where he got his mind-set.  But, I'm convinced we're trolled 24/7 so I don't want to spew ideas for anyone but we know all the areas he an continue to infringe not until they are all confiscated but until our guns will never see the light of day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobA said:

From day 1 with Murphy I've suspected his socialistic ideas and plans came from his appointment.  I know from my time living in Germany this my be where he got his mind-set.  But, I'm convinced we're trolled 24/7 so I don't want to spew ideas for anyone but we know all the areas he an continue to infringe not until they are all confiscated but until our guns will never see the light of day.  

Spot on... I do however believe we are quickly approaching the point of "Don't give a shit anymore" with many gun owners.

Just look at all of the people we know are in non-compliance with the mag ban. 

$300 for FID will surely drive people to go "gunshow loophole" in Kentucky or elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Spot on... I do however believe we are quickly approaching the point of "Don't give a shit anymore" with many gun owners.

Just look at all of the people we know are in non-compliance with the mag ban. 

$300 for FID will surely drive people to go "gunshow loophole" in Kentucky or elsewhere.

...and as we all know -- there is no "gun show loophole".

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, W2MC said:

...and as we all know -- there is no "gun show loophole".

Not opening that can of worms... but yes... you are right, there is no gun show loophole... just people who don't observe the law. =) OR who follow it to the T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

$300 for FID will surely drive people to go "gunshow loophole" in Kentucky or elsewhere.

For those who can, maybe.  The "don't give a shit"? well this seems a lot quicker than the boiling frog.  These effect Fudds too.  I wish the benefactors of our donations would do some eye opening info spreading with our money.  Billboards on the highway or something.  Right now there is a pistol for sale in WTS stating he wants the sale to take place at his gun club.  A wake up call couldn't hurt.  One forum or word of mouth is not enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobA said:

For those who can, maybe.  The "don't give a shit"? well this seems a lot quicker than the boiling frog.  These effect Fudds too.  I wish the benefactors of our donations would do some eye opening info spreading with our money.  Billboards on the highway or something.  Right now there is a pistol for sale in WTS stating he wants the sale to take place at his gun club.  A wake up call couldn't hurt.  One forum or word of mouth is not enough.  

That was addressed.  And it presents the fact that quite frankly most people don't know the updated laws.... no one got a memo in the mail and I will be getting more involved in spreading that message and the stupidity of some of these actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

Fear not, your local street corner shop will still be in business advocating their "cash and carry policy"

You must be referring to the Juan, Jose and DeShawn Gun Shop.

They operate out of the trunk of a 66 Impala on this corner tonight and out of a 70 Chrysler Imperial on the other corner tomorrow night.

And the only paperwork involved is green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • NJGF members in chat (1)



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information