Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

NJ has now switched to the Firearms Registration and Application System (FARS).

https://www.njportal.com/njsp/fars

Instead of applying for your FID or Pistol Permits at your township PD, you'll go directly to the online system now.  

Step 1: log on to https://www.njportal.com/njsp/fars
Step 2: Enter your Township's ORI Number (You will have to contact your local PD to obtain this information.  Some may list it on their township website)
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: You must appear at your police department to pay for your initial Firearms Identification Card (FID Card) and/or Pistol Purchase Permits. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJSC 13:54.1.4.

* You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
* Once your application is complete, a station representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit documents.
* Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background application. 
* The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well the best email addresses for you and your references.

Edit:  If you go through the NJSP - here's the list of ORI Numbers:  https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/fars.shtml

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Instead of applying for your FID or Pistol Permits at your township PD, you'll go directly to the online system now.  

Step 2: Enter your Township's ORI Number (You will have to contact your local PD to obtain this information.  Some may list it on their township website)
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: You must appear at your police department to pay for your initial Firearms Identification Card (FID Card) and/or Pistol Purchase Permits. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJSC 13:54.1.4.

* Once your application is complete, a station representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit documents.
* Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background application. 
* The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well the best email addresses for you and your references.

Did you hear this from Rob at Bridgewater. I put in for permits last week he never said anything and my references have all recieved a letter from him. 

1 minute ago, GramGun79 said:

Did you hear this from Rob at Bridgewater. I put in for permits last week he never said anything and my references have all recieved a letter from him. 

No,  I submitted for permits prior to the change as well.  They literally just updated the Bridgewater PD website a couple days ago with this information.  I'm sure they'll accept apps at the local PDs for now but this can potentially streamline the process... or cause additional delays.  Not sure.  I have found that background checks do come back faster using this online system now compared to submitting the STS-33 and waiting for them to go through the process.  I've had delays because I had just gotten married and they had do a domestic violence check with the family court... 

• Thanks 1

So they want a digital version of STS033 but want you to contact your local PD anyway and then visit them later to pick up the final product?

I've got an idea.  How about we fill out the STS033, hand it to the PD, they fill in their ORI and scan it to the state?   Why involve me in the process at all other than applying for the stupid thing in the first place?

16 hours ago, W2MC said:

Interesting..........

disturbingly so.

this is another attempt to limit/prevent people from purchasing. believe it or not, there are still people with no email addy's, and/or access to a computer.

I put in for 4 p2ps yesterday via FARS. My references received emails instantly and they are already done and returned. I went to my PD today to sign and turn in my Mental Health Consent form and to pay my $8. Do not sign your Mental Health form ahead of time. It must be done in front of them.

They were waiting for me and say I am the first in Berkeley Twp. to use FARS and they are curious to see how it all works out. They also said they had no idea FARS was up and running. They attended training on it in the fall and were told January for the roll out. NJSP delayed the roll out due to tech issues, but did not give Berkeley a new roll out date. Berkeley only found out about the roll out because Toms River called them up with a FARS question. Our state gov't at work! The girls at Berkeley are fantastic btw.

So far, I am pleased with the system. When NJSP gets the Mental Health form online and turn this into a truly paperless process, that will be a blessing. Of course, they could just throw out the whole p2p system with its 1960's carbon paper technology. When I worked retail at a LGS, my boss told me about customers with valid p2ps that then went on to get DENIED by NICS. He said that NICS is a deeper look than the NJSP p2p check. Meaning all of this p2p BS is not a valid process anymore. Now that we all have to go thru NICS, the p2p is just a hassle for everyone.

I will keep ya'll posted on how this shakes out for me. Berkeley says the old paper process took about 6-10 weeks. Let's hope this is an improvement.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, Krdshrk said:

Edit:  If you go through the NJSP - here's the list of ORI Numbers:  https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/fars.shtml

I going to put in the paperwork for two P2Ps just to see how long it takes to process them.  I should have them by Labor Day (takes about 5 months and 3 weeks).

So,

1. I still have to go to the PD and sign a Mental Health Check form.

2. I still have to go to the PD and pay for my P2P's.

While I appreciate the emailed references, and electronic application, if your going to streamline line the process, streamline the whole fucking process. More half assed NJ bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dilbert1967 said:

I going to put in the paperwork for two P2Ps just to see how long it takes to process them.  I should have them by Labor Day (takes about 5 months and 3 weeks).

Me too. It took 5 weeks last time with an address change. I might need to take a trip to Monmouth Arms. :D

I was the 2nd person in my town to use the new system.

Print out the confirmation and bring it with you.  They asked for a copy when I showed up to pay for my permits and sign the mental health form.  I don't know if they really needed it or just getting used to the system.

I left the PD at 3.15 pm.  One of my references had responded by 3.30 pm and the other by 4 pm.  The criminal history check is no doubt pretty much automatic.  The only things that can delay issuance of the permits is how long it takes for the mental health form to get back and how long the PD takes to do the permits once everything is done.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:58 PM, Ray Ray said:

My last batch of permits (February 9th I received them) took less than a month from the inital start to date of signiture.  It used to take 2 months. 

10 hours ago, FXDX said:

kind of OT but but what kind of response times are you guys & gals seeing for subsequent applications for handgun permits to purchase?

• Thanks 1

My town was always 2 to 3 weeks the old way.  I just applied for 3 P2Ps using the new system. I will report back if this speeds things up here!

I'll be looking for my first 1911 after I get them.  I also want a Luger PO8 shooter if anyone has one laying around!:)

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I just did some searching, is there an online database that lists all the locall PD ORI numbers? The only list I could find is the SP.

No, You'll have to check with your township for their ORI number.  Some list it on their website.

21 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I just did some searching, is there an online database that lists all the locall PD ORI numbers? The only list I could find is the SP.

Go here to get your 4 digit municipal ORI code https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/omb/forms/pdf/municodes.pdf

The code has to be 9 digits so try this....Worked for me   NJ0(your 4 digit code)00.  Example, NJ0999900.  9999 being your town's code.

If you get the code right, your town's name will pop up, allowing you to continue!:)

• Informative 1

37 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

If you get the code right, your town's name will pop up, allowing you to continue!:)

Yes sir, it did. Thanks for the tip !!  :ok:

Just submitted, interested to see if my hick PD is actually up to speed with this new technology.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Print out the confirmation and bring it with you.  They asked for a copy when I showed up to pay for my permits and sign the mental health form.  I don't know if they really needed it or just getting used to the system.

I just did the online form and got the confirmation. It didn't say anything about going to the PD to sign the other form. Did you get that after the references responded or did you get a separate email from the PD to come in?

Just now, Sniper said:

Yes sir, it did. Thanks for the tip !!  :ok:

Just submitted, interested to see if my hick PD is actually up to speed with this new technology.

Good luck! My CLEO is very pro 2A as is our Captain.  We will keep each other posted!

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I just did the online form and got the confirmation. It didn't say anything about going to the PD to sign the other form. Did you get that after the references responded or did you get a separate email from the PD to come in?

IIRC the instructions on line said you needed to go and pay the PD before it was processed.  I talked to the lady in records earlier and she told me I had to come in to sign the mental health form and pay for the permits.

I got a confirmation email when I completed my on line form and another telling me both my references had responded.

PD never sent me an email. All came from NJSP.

This is just a way for them to link all of your firearms activities and ammo purchases together and to control the process completely from the top down.  It wouldn't be being done unless it was in our best disinterest.  For a SHORT time the wait times will be good for us to have  a good feeling about it all, and then they will be less than good.    It is all about control and about processes in which UNELECTED officials will be proceeding over it and it will result in higher tea taxes and further abuses of honest, peaceful, law-abiding citizens that want to be left alone.   

As a side note, why not have a Felon ID card?  If you commit a crime and you don't have one then you will be charged triple for the crime and you cannot plea bargain down the offence.  Lets keep all the repeat offences in one organized place.  And, lets make crime intent permits that are only valid for 90 days and only allow ONE violent crime act per month.  Oh, and if you don't have one when traveling and a "peace officer" asks for it, then you lose your right to an attorney.  Incentive for your attorney to follow up with you and make sure you are carrying it.  Oh, and if you don't have it, then you cannot possess any illegal weapons unless they have the correct magazine limitations.  And, you are only allowed to vote if you show it when voting.   But, to protect our sanctuaries,  undocumented, unlawful criminals don't need to get or carry one of these permits.  Lastly, if you are carrying one of these permits and you feel that you are being picked on by law enforcement, you can have those officers investigated without due process under the pink flag law.  

• Agree 1

I submitted the online form late last night. One reference already completed the online form and sent it back, and I got email notification.  Waiting on the second one.

So, it seems at this point to be a quicker system. A few buck more at $21.

Time will tell. I'll drop off  the SP-066 later today at the PD, and we'll see how long that takes to clear.