Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

Something isn't right. I went to my local PD today to drop off my Mental Health Consent form and the Detective was wondering why I had to do that. He was under the impression everything was supposed to be done online, including the mental health.

Even on the confirmation email from the State Police all its says is "Amount to be paid at collection time: $$"

Nothing about going in to do the mental health or paying upfront.

33 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Something isn't right. I went to my local PD today to drop off my Mental Health Consent form and the Detective was wondering why I had to do that. He was under the impression everything was supposed to be done online, including the mental health.

I would expect that. Heck, most cops didn't even know about the mag ban down to 10. I really doubt they know about the online applications.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

I would expect that. Heck, most cops didn't even know about the mag ban down to 10. I really doubt they know about the online applications.

He knew about the online system. He found it very strange that I came in with the mental health form. Apparently it's supposed to be online too. 

Going through the online application it never mentions anything about going in for the mental health form. The only thing it mentions is paying when you go in to pick up your permits.

5 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Going through the online application it never mentions anything about going in for the mental health form. The only thing it mentions is paying when you go in to pick up your permits.

Actually, I found it, but you had to be a detective and search for it in the FAQ. It should be part of the application information.

Do I need to take any actions after submitting the form online? top

Yes, you are required to take further actions before the municipal police department can start processing your application. These would depend on the purpose selected for the application. The required actions are listed in the ‘Next Steps’ section of the Confirmation Email.

All applicants are required to go to their municipal police department to sign the Mental Health Check form.

Can I submit the Consent for Mental Health Records Search (Form S.P. 66) application online? top

No, not currently. The form can be downloaded from here. You are required to complete and submit this form in person at your municipal police department. Without this, the application cannot be processed.

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/Fars/home/Faq

40 minutes ago, NJGunGeek1980 said:

Just called my local PD to get the ORI # and they told me that I still needed to use the old way through them that they are not currently set up to use this new online system. I am under the impression that all towns have to use this now. Any thoughts?

I *believe* (I’m not certain), that the online form will not allow you to continue if you enter an ORI # for a town that isn’t “online yet”.

Look up your ORI # and give it a try:

Here’s a listing of NJ ORI codes - it’s the 9 character ORI9 code in the far right column:

https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/files/NACJD/ORIs/34oris.html 

As DirtyDigz says above the system validates the ORI you input. Town not set up for the system will not allow the process to proceed online.

And that link to NJ ORI's has incorrect data. It is not good for Burlington County NJ. I found two errors and there may be more.

Thanks Wreckless - if you can share the errors...I’ll update the list in another thread that perhaps could be stickied so we have a more accurate resource.

The ORI listed for my town was accurate.

FYI - one of my references who is not in NJ has a detective from my town attempting to get in contact with him via phone regarding the reference.  So perhaps the reference checks are not all electronic/email.

I just applied for permit in December and got them in January.  My usual process has been to bring in the 2 completed forms to the PD, wait on references, then pay $2 per permit when I pick them up.  On this last time dropping off the application, there was a new lady behind the counter who said I'll need to do the online background check.  I replied, "Oh, that.  This isn't my first rodeo and I already did that before.  I'm sure its in my file."  We exchanged goodbyes and I picked up 3 permits some 40 days later.  $6 out of pocket, easy peasy.

What I'm wondering is will this new system force the local PD to run that check, requiring me to pay the $20 each time?

5 hours ago, NJGunGeek1980 said:

Just called my local PD to get the ORI # and they told me that I still needed to use the old way through them that they are not currently set up to use this new online system. I am under the impression that all towns have to use this now. Any thoughts?

I did the online form Monday night, the system accepted the ORI number for my PD and let me proceed. I got the confirmation that the application was accepted. The system sent out emails to both of my references, and both references did the online forms. I received email conformation that the system has both references letters.

I stopped in earlier at the PD to drop off the mental health form and was told by the clerk that they weren't processing the online applications, still doing paper. I asked how did the system accept all the information. All I got was a dumb look and the name of a guy to call tomorrow.

Hint to the PD's, it's 2019, time to get electronic systems up to speed.

3 hours ago, wreckless said:

As DirtyDigz says above the system validates the ORI you input. Town not set up for the system will not allow the process to proceed online.

Apparently something is screwy. The system let me do the application, but the clerks in the PD say they're not processing them. My suggestion for everyone is to call their PD before doing the online version. I'm going to be really pissed if I paid online for the application, only to have to pay again to do the manual forms.

My town has the ORI number on their website tab for "firearms" 

Despite all of the absurd laws in NJ and how difficult they make it to get a gun, I can't believe they're actually doing something that makes it easier in a sense.

Did the online system Monday. 1 of my references says he keeps getting an error when trying to submit the reference sheet. Tried calling state police today and need to wait for a supervisor that might know more about it bc nobody knew why it might not work... of course just when I thought this might make it easier.

46 minutes ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

Despite all of the absurd laws in NJ and how difficult they make it to get a gun, I can't believe they're actually doing something that makes it easier in a sense.

I think they did it to remove some of the paperwork and processing burden for the clerks. Processing manual forms, mailing and sending out referral letters, tracking return letters, etc. is time consuming. Putting it online and emailing referrals frees up a ton of time for the clerks and automates the process.

I wonder how many application forms come in incomplete and the clerks have to chase the applicants to fix. The online form won't let you submit a incomplete application.

36 minutes ago, chris327 said:

Did the online system Monday. 1 of my references says he keeps getting an error when trying to submit the reference sheet.

Is the link in the email working for them, or are they copying it wrong?. Or, after they answer all the questions, are they getting an error? Both of my references didn't have any issues following the email they got and completing the form.

1 hour ago, chris327 said:

Did the online system Monday. 1 of my references says he keeps getting an error when trying to submit the reference sheet. Tried calling state police today and need to wait for a supervisor that might know more about it bc nobody knew why it might not work... of course just when I thought this might make it easier.

Can they use a different browser or device?  I've had things that were broken because of various extensions, or the browser itself being uncooperative.  Switching to a different browser which either handles things differently or doesn't have the same stuff installed is usually enough to fix it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Did I miss how an employer gets notified and how they need to respond?

I was prompted for employer name/address and phone #, but not email.  I work for a huge multi-national company, so I gave them the main corporate # and headquarters address in another state.  

A local PD detective has already contacted my references via phone, I assume they are also going to try to contact my employer.

Just came back from my local PD. Yesterday they told me they weren't processing the online form but were going to check with their main clerk to see the status.

I called this morning and they said they were going to process the online forms and were going to work through it. They said to come by and drop off SP-066 mental health form.

So, they told me I'm the first one using the new system, we'll see how being the guinea pig works out.

2 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

I was prompted for employer name/address and phone #, but not email.  I work for a huge multi-national company, so I gave them the main corporate # and headquarters address in another state.  

A local PD detective has already contacted my references via phone, I assume they are also going to try to contact my employer.

If your company is big enough, they should have an employment verification number where all they do is verify that you are employed there and maybe your title.

20 minutes ago, carl_g said:

If your company is big enough, they should have an employment verification number where all they do is verify that you are employed there and maybe your title.

Yep, tried to find something similar to that with no luck.  The main corporate # handles all kinds of random calls, they should be able to direct to employment verification.

I’ve always listed my office phone under ‘employer’, figuring I might be able to confirm my own employment, and if not, I could then forward the call to HR.   But I’ve never received a call to check.   

19 hours ago, Sniper said:

I think they did it to remove some of the paperwork and processing burden for the clerks. Processing manual forms, mailing and sending out referral letters, tracking return letters, etc. is time consuming. Putting it online and emailing referrals frees up a ton of time for the clerks and automates the process.

I wonder how many application forms come in incomplete and the clerks have to chase the applicants to fix. The online form won't let you submit a incomplete application.

Is the link in the email working for them, or are they copying it wrong?. Or, after they answer all the questions, are they getting an error? Both of my references didn't have any issues following the email they got and completing the form.

maybe they'll realize ALL the NJ gun laws involving licenses and permits are a waste of their time (wishful)

4 hours ago, carl_g said:

I work for a big company. They will not confirm employment. They refer anyone to a for-pay service if they want that info. 

Detective investigating my applications called me directly this morning - my employer referred him to a 3rd party for employment verification which requires a fee.  He can’t pay the fee in his investigation.

He agreed to take my most recent paystub via email as verification of employment instead.

9 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Detective investigating my applications called me directly this morning - my employer referred him to a 3rd party for employment validation which requires a fee.  He can’t pay the fee in his investigation.

There's an irony here, as police departments start to get annoyed by newly-imposed 3rd party fees.   I know they'll never pay them, but it mirrors the steep third-party fingerprint fees they dished off on us.

Glad your department agreed to a no-cost way to accomplish the same thing.

I wish I had seen this post when I went online to do the back ground check on the old site yesterday. No where on the site does it say ( after I type in my towns ORI number )  that it is no longer done this way. They took my 20 bucks and gave me the standard transaction number which I later took to my town along with my manually printed forms. My PD then informed that this was all being done online now and gave me a new form showing me where to go. I went back home and started the process online and upon getting to the end it now wanted an additional 21.00 bucks for something I already paid for.

I contacted the help line support and even with the assist from my PD was ultimately told This is New Jersey you will never get you money back. A hard lesson to someone on a fixed income. If I ever ran a business this way I'd be locked up for fraud.