Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

9 minutes ago, Angel_1776 said:

I contacted the help line support and even with the assist from my PD was ultimately told This is New Jersey you will never get you money back. A hard lesson to someone on a fixed income. If I ever ran a business this way I'd be locked up for fraud.

Paid with a credit card?  Call up your credit card customer service and dispute the charge.

4 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Detective investigating my applications called me directly this morning - my employer referred him to a 3rd party for employment verification which requires a fee.  He can’t pay the fee in his investigation.

He agreed to take my most recent paystub via email as verification of employment instead.

Wow that must be the way most of the companies are going.. Glad they were OK with a paystub. When I lived in NJ my PD never asked for this. I cant see how it is any of their business in the first place.

Just now, carl_g said:

Wow that must be the way most of the companies are going.. Glad they were OK with a paystub. When I lived in NJ my PD never asked for this. I cant see how it is any of their business in the first place.

As I mentioned in my post, my company does the same thing.  I’ve never heard peep from my PD about it though. 

CRAP!  Got the mental heath form in the mail today!  I signed an took it right over to them.  I never had that form before!

Here I thought I would get my permits in record time and they throw that monkey wrench into the works!:mad:

7 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

CRAP!  Got the mental heath form in the mail today!  I signed an took it right over to them.  I never had that form before!

Ha ha..

Busted... I wondered why they didn't ask you in the first place. Plus, they want you to sign it in front of them so they could witness it. Did they take the form without seeing you sign it?

Just now, Sniper said:

Ha ha..

Busted... I wondered why they didn't ask you in the first place. Plus, they want you to sign it in front of them so they could witness it. Did they take the form without seeing you sign it?

I had heard others say to sign it in front of them so I took it to them unsigned. They told me nobody in the PD is authorized to sign as a witness, so I ran back home, signed it and got my wife to sign as the witness. Now they accepted the form and said they would send it on up to the detectives! WTF!

28 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Ha ha..

Maybe the mental health check was how you handled the form. 

I was planning to turn in my paperwork on Monday after doing the criminal records check online, like I usually do. Picked up the paperwork last month. My local PD is Hamilton Twp. in Mercer County. Guess I'll just wait and give them a call to see if they've switched over too, hate to pay the $21 twice.

1 hour ago, bennj said:

I was planning to turn in my paperwork on Monday after doing the criminal records check online, like I usually do. Picked up the paperwork last month. My local PD is Hamilton Twp. in Mercer County. Guess I'll just wait and give them a call to see if they've switched over too, hate to pay the $21 twice.

The bottom line, if the PD has the ability to receive the criminal records check electronically, they should be able to receive the application the same way. They both come from the State Police.

You'll know if your PD is online by the first page. If you enter the ORI number and the PD pops up, it means they can accept electronic forms.

The only reason they might not be, is because they're lazy and it's new, and no one has put in the effort to understand how they'll process. This is what I experienced so far with my PD. I'm the first one they're processing electronically (kicking and screaming). Sometimes people need a "shove" to enter the 21st century with technology.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennj said:

take a look here, since you have applied before page down to "Subsequent Applications for Additional Permits to Purchase a Handgun or Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Cards"

http://www.hamiltonnj.com/content/228309/228325/228899/default.aspx

Thanks for the info guys. I have been completing form 212A online (the one with the ORI) the last few times. The reference letters, mental health search, and purchase permit application have always been filled out on paper and brought to the station. From some of the earlier posts I assumed that the whole process is being done electronically now, hence my confusion.

FXDX, your link seems to clear that up.

51 minutes ago, bennj said:

From some of the earlier posts I assumed that the whole process is being done electronically now, hence my confusion.

FXDX, your link seems to clear that up.

The PDs are going all electronic like in the OP, some fast than others. You'll need to check with your local PD to see if they're up to speed. The PD web site may not be updated yet.

Like I mentioned above, I did a new P2P online, and when I went to submit the manual 066 form, they said they weren't doing it all online yet, and I had to submit manual. Upon pushing, they found a clerk who is going to process the new way. I was the first one to ask in town.

PDs seem to be changing/accepting based on new activity and who's applying.

Do we know if relatives can be used as a reference now? The instructions and the actual form conflict with each other:

"When completing the application you will need the correct email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members."

"Application requires references from two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives."

:think:

With this new system, do all the reference check emails get sent out immediately, or do some local PDs withhold them somehow so that background checks/mental health check can be completed first? I've seen people say their reference check emails were sent out right away, and some get an immediate reply. Mine have not been sent out and I applied 2 weeks ago..

13 minutes ago, SIGMan Freud said:

Do we know if relatives can be used as a reference now?

What's the definition of a relative, blood or law, or both?

14 minutes ago, SIGMan Freud said:

The instructions and the actual form conflict with each other:

The government, in all it's finest!

2 hours ago, mjtrip001 said:

With this new system, do all the reference check emails get sent out immediately, or do some local PDs withhold them somehow so that background checks/mental health check can be completed first? I've seen people say their reference check emails were sent out right away, and some get an immediate reply. Mine have not been sent out and I applied 2 weeks ago..

I personally know of 2 instances, myself and a friend, using the new system.  In both cases the reference emails went out within minutes of the application submission online.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, mjtrip001 said:

Reference check emails go out almost instantly now it seems.

1 hour ago, jm1827 said:

Does anyone know if the NJSP are using the online system yet, specifically the Hamilton Barracks?  My town doesn't have a local PD so I go through them.

I would guess, yes, since it was the state police that set up the online processing. When you search for the ORI number, you can pick the barracks to process it.

6 minutes ago, Dgreates said:

The Wayne PD states that I don't need to go to the station to fill out the mental health form. Has anyone had this issue? Can the Wayne PD be wrong?

My town said no separate station visit needed for the mental health records release either.  Not sure why the State Police site says that's necessary; I guess the first of us who gets to the point of picking up FID/permits will find out for sure.

24 minutes ago, Dgreates said:

The Wayne PD states that I don't need to go to the station to fill out the mental health form. Has anyone had this issue? Can the Wayne PD be wrong?

I would double check that, some PDs are confused, they think everything is online. JohnnyB just went through that with his PD. They said no at first, then a few days later told him to come in and sign the form in front of them.

I did the same thing, I'm the first going through the online program with my PD, went in and signed the form in person. Even the SP directions (look under FAQ on the bottom) says you have to go in person and sign the form.

There's a lot of confusion with the new system that the local PDs have to figure out.

22 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

My town said no separate station visit needed for the mental health records release either.  Not sure why the State Police site says that's necessary; I guess the first of us who gets to the point of picking up FID/permits will find out for sure.

I just went to check the FAQ section again. The State Police actually changed it. If you  scroll back to page Two of this thread, March 5th, I copied and pasted that section at that time. Look what I just found on the SP site, they updated it:

Do I need to separately apply for Consent for Mental Health Records Search form? top

You need to do it ONLY if you have resided out of State within the last ten (10) years. In that scenario you must go directly to the issuing police department to complete an authorization S.P. 66 Form for Mental Health Records . This will be sent to all States in which you have previously resided in.

So, apparently they DON'T need the SP 066 form if you've been a state resident. Now I need to check to see where they get permission to search, if we didn't give the OK.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

I just went to check the FAQ section again. The State Police actually changed it. If you  scroll back to page Two of this thread, March 5th, I copied and pasted that section at that time. Look what I just found on the SP site, they updated it:

Do I need to separately apply for Consent for Mental Health Records Search form? top

You need to do it ONLY if you have resided out of State within the last ten (10) years. In that scenario you must go directly to the issuing police department to complete an authorization S.P. 66 Form for Mental Health Records . This will be sent to all States in which you have previously resided in.

So, apparently they DON'T need the SP 066 form if you've been a state resident. Now I need to check to see where they get permission to search, if we didn't give the OK.

Good. At least they straightened that out. Really made no sense to do an online application and have to go into the PD also. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

I personally know of 2 instances, myself and a friend, using the new system.  In both cases the reference emails went out within minutes of the application submission online.

Thanks. Were you informed that the emails were sent, or only after they replied? 

I got one of their email addresses wrong, and I had to contact local PD to correct it. She said they don't even send the reference checks until after the background checks were completed. FARS sent a confirmation when the criminal check was completed earlier this week. How many emails/confirmations did you get?

Thanks again, Happy Friday!

1 hour ago, mjtrip001 said:

Thanks. Were you informed that the emails were sent, or only after they replied? 

In my case, I received a email reply when the SP received the completed form from the reference.

1 hour ago, mjtrip001 said:

How many emails/confirmations did you get?

I've received 4 so far. One when I completed the form, 2 from them receiving the references, and one when they completed the background check. The last thing they are working on is the mental health check, wonder how long that will take?

I just did the online process for permits and WOW it was really easy and quick ,and I got confirmations immediately when my references sent the questionnaires back. You only need to print out and bring the mental health form to your PD if you have live out of state in the past 10 years, (so it said when I got done) and it also said to pay for permits when ready at PD. Hopefully this system will work...

So I went to my local pd, Hamilton Twp., Mercer County. They are not using FARS yet. Did the criminal records check online, filled out applications for permits and the mental health check, signed them in front of the clerk, and paid for permits just like I have been doing. Turn around time has always been just within the 30 day window, except for the first time when I applied for a FPID too during the Obama years.