Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

1 hour ago, bennj said:

So I went to my local pd, Hamilton Twp., Mercer County. They are not using FARS yet. Did the criminal records check online,

That makes no sense.

The criminal background check is done online, processed by the SP and results sent electronically to the local PD. The online application is also processed by the SP, but these local PDs can't receive the application electronically, while they can receive the criminal background that way.

It doesn't add up??

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

That makes no sense.

The criminal background check is done online, processed by the SP and results sent electronically to the local PD. The online application is also processed by the SP, but these local PDs can't receive the application electronically, while they can receive the criminal background that way.

It doesn't add up??

That’s how it’s always been for me at Kingwood Barracks. 

the whole NJ system is ridiculous  Every piece of anti-gun legislation should be met with something that helps lawful gun owners-ten round mags?  Ok-then eliminate the permission slip system for FID holders who have already gone thru background checks

I cant be the only one who reads the gun laws in other states and thinks of moving out of here

That's because it's all about money grabbing, you go though the SP background check and then purchase a firearm only to have to pay again for a NICS check!!! Double dipping. All about the money....

5 hours ago, BobA said:

That’s how it’s always been for me at Kingwood Barracks. 

It's been like a year and a half or so since I applied for permits. Last time I didn't have to do anything online, it was all on paper and turned in. When I did the online application this time, and went to the local PD to turn in the 066 form, they first told me they weren't processing the new online app. So they give me the manual paper packet, and it says go online to do the criminal background check, and the results get sent electronically to them.

That's just stupid. If they can receive one form electronically from the SP, they should be able to get them all. This is the 21st century, computers weren't built yesterday.

Once I questioned that, they figured out that they could also process the online application.

They're just being lazy government workers....  as usual.

• Agree 1

My experience with the FARS system has been as follows:

Made my initial fpid application on Feb 22,2019. Both reference emails were sent out almost immediately. Picked an appointment to be fingerprinted and printed the confirmation page out. 

Feb 24,2019 one reference completed the questionnaire, got an email confirmation. 

Feb 26, 2019 visited my local PD in Monroe Twp, Middlesex county to pay my $5 fee and confirm my name and address info was correct.  Told me I didn't need the mental health form if NJ resident for last 10 years as others have stated. (I saw the incorrect info on the NJSP site others have mentioned) Told me I will receive a email when the application is complete and approved, but to wait for them to call before coming to pickup the card.  

Feb 27, 2019 second reference completed questionnaire, got email confirmation. Got my fingerprinting done. They verified my name and address was correct.

Mar 2, 2019 got an email stating my criminal history check was completed.

Mar 13, 2019 got an email stating my application was approved and complete

Mar 14, 2019 got a call from my local PD to come pickup my card. The records clerk instructed me to verify all info was correct before signing. My middle initial was incorrect. They verified that it was correct on the application and matched the info on my dl and placed the blame on wherever the card was typed up. Now waiting for a corrected card to be prepared, was told I will be called when it is ready. So I guess the cards themselves are still manually typed even though all the applications, fingerprints, etc are done electronically based on the correct info I supplied through FARS.

Overall my local pd was very efficient, helpful, professional through the process and I have no complaints at all with them. The updates from FARS were nice to have. Typical of this state to take an almost completely electronically conducted process and bungle it up while performing the very last step manually, after being told by "them" on 3 different occasions to make sure all of my info was correct or I would have to submit another application and pay again. I will update when the correct card is in my possession. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I never had issues in Monroe TWP., Lived there 20 years and was only 2 weeks everytime I applied as recently as 2014.. Good department and officers...

3 hours ago, Tech said:

I never had issues in Monroe TWP., Lived there 20 years and was only 2 weeks everytime I applied as recently as 2014.. Good department and officers...

I completely agree about the department and officers, I've lived here for over 35 years and haven't had any problems with them on any issue.  I was assuming, based on the records clerk, that the fid cards themselves are printed offsite (by the state police?) and then sent via mail to the local pd where they are signed by the chief, but that is just an assumption on my part. Mistakes happen, but I was just surprised that with the rest of the process being automated and based on the correct info I submitted through FARS that my fid card would be manually printed with my middle initial being incorrect. Does anyone know where the cards actually get printed?

29 minutes ago, browncollar80 said:

I completely agree about the department and officers, I've lived here for over 35 years and haven't had any problems with them on any issue.  I was assuming, based on the records clerk, that the fid cards themselves are printed offsite (by the state police?) and then sent via mail to the local pd where they are signed by the chief, but that is just an assumption on my part. Mistakes happen, but I was just surprised that with the rest of the process being automated and based on the correct info I submitted through FARS that my fid card would be manually printed with my middle initial being incorrect. Does anyone know where the cards actually get printed?

They're typed up Manually, as are Pistol Permits.  My original FID had the Captain's title as "CAPATIN".  I also got delayed for a couple days once because the Detective handling the Permits could not get access to the typewriter because the lady who had access to it was on vacation.

• Haha 1

Hello Gentlemen,

I found this forum and this particular thread because I have been experiencing significant issues with this new online system and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. 

I have been attempting a 'simple' (as I thought) change of address for my current FID as I had recently moved.  I am now about at the 1 month point of not being able to submit my information in the online system due to an 'error' with the system.  I have many, many calls into my local PD as well as the State PD regarding the online system error saying that my fingerprints are not on file for my SBI, Which are indeed and I have even asked old local PD to fax a copy over to my new local PD which they did happily.

The online application error I receive is at the final step of the application when you review and submit your completed application;

'A fingerprint record for firearm purposes could not be found for the SBI number entered, Please contact your local authorizing authority to check if you have been fingerprinted for firearms purposes'

I did call my local PD and verified that I did indeed have been fingerprinted and that my SBI # is valid for firearms..

My local PD says its a problem with the state's online application system, The NJ State PD says its a problem with the online application vendor and I've been sitting here without being able to even submit my change of address for a month now.

I am out of patience and I receive 'lip service' about this issue being a problem with the online system.

I am not sure who I can appeal to who is technically responsible for this system and the application process?

Is their an official that fields application complaints or such obstructions?

Must I get a lawyer?

Again,  This is only for a change of address for a valid FID!

9 hours ago, VR6Bomber said:

Hello Gentlemen,

I found this forum and this particular thread because I have been experiencing significant issues with this new online system and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. 

I have been attempting a 'simple' (as I thought) change of address for my current FID as I had recently moved.  I am now about at the 1 month point of not being able to submit my information in the online system due to an 'error' with the system.  I have many, many calls into my local PD as well as the State PD regarding the online system error saying that my fingerprints are not on file for my SBI, Which are indeed and I have even asked old local PD to fax a copy over to my new local PD which they did happily.

The online application error I receive is at the final step of the application when you review and submit your completed application;

'A fingerprint record for firearm purposes could not be found for the SBI number entered, Please contact your local authorizing authority to check if you have been fingerprinted for firearms purposes'

I did call my local PD and verified that I did indeed have been fingerprinted and that my SBI # is valid for firearms..

My local PD says its a problem with the state's online application system, The NJ State PD says its a problem with the online application vendor and I've been sitting here without being able to even submit my change of address for a month now.

I am out of patience and I receive 'lip service' about this issue being a problem with the online system.

I am not sure who I can appeal to who is technically responsible for this system and the application process?

Must I get a lawyer?

Quick, stupid question.  Your SBI# doesn't happen to have any easily misidentified letters/numbers - think 0/O, 1/I, 8/B, etc - that are being entered wrong?  I've had plenty of people misread things like part numbers or CD keys to me and when I go to check on it myself, I still don't notice that O is an 0.   I've entered CD keys for software and I swear some companies gotta try to make their keys impossible to read, like MIV1NMI1OS0B08OSIVIWMNMW185B0

I'm sure the system is messed up - I mean, it is NJ and all - but just throwing it out there.  Surprised they aren't taking money from you every time BEFORE they say nope, doesn't exist.

22 hours ago, VR6Bomber said:

Hello Gentlemen,

Must I get a lawyer?

I got  the same message about the fingerprint record not being found.I got my FID in 1983.Called my local pd and they said I would need to get my fingerprints redone  do to how long ago I was originally fingerprinted. 

I got my email notification this morning @6:03am telling me that my criminal history check is completed, so now I wait to see. I did speak with the detective at PD HQ and he stated to me the usual 3-4 week turn around, the last time it was 4 weeks but after looking at my new FID and 3 permits they were dated 2 weeks prior to me getting them, UGH...

1 hour ago, Apehanger13 said:

I got  the same message about the fingerprint record not being found.I got my FID in 1983.Called my local pd and they said I would need to get my fingerprints redone  do to how long ago I was originally fingerprinted. 

I guess they figure that your fingerprints must have changed since then?

I had phoned the NJSP yet again and they told me that they didn't have a estimated time of resolving the issue, it is affecting many other applicants, the problem is with 'nics usa' and that I should just to submit my paper application in the meantime..

If you experience issues with the online system, as I was told many people are, DO NOT let the SP or your local PD tell you that the online application is now the only way to submit your application.

I had to push, however my PAPER application was accepted by my local PD.

So if you are one of the lucky ones having an issue with the online FARS application;

You CAN still use the PAPER application.

33 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Just got the call to come pick up my permits. 17 days and that included my references taking over a week to respond. Not bad.

Not bad! Question, did your references just take a week to respond to the email or was there a delay in them receiving the email?

1 minute ago, InFamous said:

Not bad! Question, did your references just take a week to respond to the email or was there a delay in them receiving the email?

They both got the email almost instantly. 1 guy took 6 days to respond, the other guy took 11 days because he forgot. I got an instant email notification when the references were returned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamondd817 said:

They both got the email almost instantly. 1 guy took 6 days to respond, the other guy took 11 days because he forgot. I got an instant email notification when the references were returned.

Thanks. I applied last night and one of my references already responded the other said he never got it. Email is correct and he checked his spam. According to the site they send 2 reminder emails...did either of your references mention if they got them and if so how long after the initial email was sent?

4 minutes ago, InFamous said:

Thanks. I applied last night and one of my references already responded the other said he never got it. Email is correct and he checked his spam. According to the site they send 2 reminder emails...did either of your references mention if they got them and if so how long after the initial email was sent?

Neither mentioned receiving a reminder email.

• Like 1