Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

Got my permits!  This is in Township of Union.  I dropped by the PD on 3/10 to confirm that they are on the new online system.  Luckily an officer near the front desk was familiar with the updates and gave me the green light.  

• Applied online 3/17/19.
  • Both references completed by 3/18.
  • Got email that Criminal History was completed 3/21.
  • Got a call from the Union PD that I needed to drop off a check to pay for my permits on 3/22.  Although paying ahead of permit pickup seems to be contrary than what is stated online, this wasn't a big deal for me.  There was some confusion at front desk but they took it.
  • Another call from PD that permits were ready on 3/26
  • Got final email approval, belated, on 3/27.  
  • I was away on business so picked up my permits today (3/31).  

From first application to PD call that permits were ready only took nine days!  I last did permits in 2015 and that took 1 month total.  I'd say the new system is a vast improvement.  

• Like 2

This is not an improvement.....  it limits ur rights and is onerous to say the least....

Mommy may i? 

We are no better than sheep....sorry its all annoying and BS....  this state sucks beyond belief.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

This is not an improvement..... 

What are you talking about?  Murph has finally streamlined the gun registry with electronic information gathering.... errr...I mean a streamlined the permit process.

What could possibly go wrong?  It's not like he's going to use it for some future gun confiscation plan.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 3/29/2019 at 10:31 PM, PK90 said:

The Chief or his Designee can sign them, ie Lieutenant, Secretary or Janitor.

You are correct.  That's called signature authority.  I know departments where permit extensions are granted by the civilian receptionist.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 9:50 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

This is not an improvement.....  it limits ur rights and is onerous to say the least....

Mommy may i? 

We are no better than sheep....sorry its all annoying and BS....  this state sucks beyond belief.

I agree.  I got my permits today after waiting 69 days (filed for them the old fashion way).  Whether you have to wait 69 days or 9 days, don't lose sight of the fact that this state has willingly violated your constitutional rights by creating a system that forces you to ask the government for permission, then pay fees to that government in order for you to exercise the rights that are supposed to be granted to you as an American citizen.  The only improvement would be a supreme court decision reversing this states pistol permitting process, magazine capacity restrictions and unconstitutional conceal carry laws & permit requirements.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/23/2019 at 7:00 AM, InFamous said:

He's using just a Yahoo email address so I would hope they wouldn't be blocking it. I used the "Contact Us" section on the website to ask what I should do on Thursday evening. Yesterday afternoon they replied back and said to contact my local PD. They can pull the application up and correct/resend the reference email. I probably won't get a chance to do that until Wednesday next week but I'll let you know what they say when I can get in touch with the Detective that handles the apps. 

Little update, last Thursday I sent an email to one of the officers listed on my town site that is supposed to deal with the applications. Saturday I hadn't heard back so I sent the same email to the general "[email protected]" address. I just received a call from one of the officers. He said I'm the first to use the new system. The county hasn't even informed them how to use it yet and they just received their login information today so they could log in and see what going on. I'm assuming they requested their logins because of my email and because he said he knew there was one person (me) in their queue. We talked about the new system a bit and he joked around that we'll work through and learn it all together. He resent the reference email so I'm waiting to hear back if my friend got it. He also said that he sees my other reference responded and the date/time, my criminal check was back and my mental health was there too. Only thing left for him to do was get my 2nd reference and to have dispatch check my records and my permits would be issued. 

While typing this my reference said he received the email the officer sent today and will fill it out after he gets off work!

On 3/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, JohnnyB said:

So....The race is still on! I went to my PD yesterday and they said I was the first in my city to use the new system and that was the reason for the holdup since they did not know how to deal with it!  They told me I was all done and approved and my permits were on the Chief's desk just waiting on his signature.

Ha... The race is over. I finally have them in my hands.  :yahoo::B:):  :danced:

The clerk filled them out on 3/27 (but I got the email that they were approved 3/23) and send them over to the Chief to sign. I stopped in last Friday to see what's up. They were still waiting for his signature.

Finally got the call today to pick up. A week to get 3 signatures.

They told me I was the first guinea pig for the new system. Now they know how to log in and process for the future.

• Like 2

Was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their references not getting the email. I did my FID card about a week ago and neither of my references has gotten the email yet. Does anyone know where it comes from that maybe I got sent to their spam folder or something? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJGunGeek1980 said:

Was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their references not getting the email. I did my FID card about a week ago and neither of my references has gotten the email yet. Does anyone know where it comes from that maybe I got sent to their spam folder or something? 

If you check this thread for my replies it'll explain a little more in detail. Basically, they're supposed to get them instantly. My one references did not get his, he checked his spam, etc.  I had to contact my local PD to have them log into the system and have them resend the reference form. He got it the second time. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

1 hour ago, NJGunGeek1980 said:

One of my references had the email go to his spam folder, has an aol email address fwiw. 

My references came back and I was notified within a couple hours of my application. My CLEO has had my permits approved and on his desk for almost 2 weeks now. He is purportedly very pro 2A but has been "out of the office" since then. I hope to hear from them tomorrow, or they will here from me!:mad:

1 hour ago, browncollar80 said:

One of my references had the email go to his spam folder, has an aol email address fwiw. 

So AOL and Yahoo use same backend for email IIRC and those filters reject A LOT of emails.

Totally possible they were blocked by AOL and Yahoo without even hitting the spam box.

I would urge you guys for now, to ask references for a gmail.com address instead. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

So AOL and Yahoo use same backend for email IIRC and those filters reject A LOT of emails.

another FWIW ---> Verizon purchased AOL a few years ago and migrated their email system over to AOL so VZ email is also under the AOL umbrella as well. I have VZ email and didn’t have any issues with the AOL servers blocking mail from <[email protected]>.

Also keep in mind for those of you renewing your NJDMV registrations online the NJ Portal use the same email addy to send the payment receipts

1 hour ago, FXDX said:

another FWIW ---> Verizon purchased AOL a few years ago and migrated their email system over to AOL so VZ email is also under the AOL umbrella as well. I have VZ email and didn’t have any issues with the AOL servers blocking mail from <[email protected]>.

Also keep in mind for those of you renewing your NJDMV registrations online the NJ Portal use the same email addy to send the payment receipts

Good stuff. 

Lookingbat our own email servers, generally yahoo followed by aol are the highest reject rates, even though our emails are handled by Google enterprise email servers. 

17 hours ago, Maksim said:

FWIW, one of my references were on AOL and one on Gmail. They both got the emails right away. So, it could be a email handling program issue, or ISP issue too.

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

FWIW, one of my references were on AOL and one on Gmail. They both got the emails right away. So, it could be a email handling program issue, or ISP issue too.

For all the good this system does speeding up the references it don't mean shit in the end!  I just got my permits today after just over a month's wait! The longest I have ever waited!

The worst part is now I gotta go out and buy 3 more handguns that I don't really need!:mad:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maksim said:

Looking at our own email servers, generally yahoo followed by aol are the highest reject rates, even though our emails are handled by Google enterprise email servers. 

C:\>tracert smtp.verizon.net

Tracing route to smtp.verizon.g03.yahoodns.net [74.6.141.44]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     3 ms     2 ms     2 ms  smtp.vzn.mail.vip.bf1.yahoo.com [74.6.141.44]

Trace complete.

C:\>nslookup smtp.verizon.net
Server:  raspberrypi
Address:  192.168.1.5

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    smtp.verizon.g03.yahoodns.net
Address:  74.6.141.44
Aliases:  smtp.verizon.net

6 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

The worst part is now I gotta go out and buy 3 more handguns that I don't really need!:mad:

Ha..

I really hate having that same problem. I have my three sitting..  decisions, decisions..

Plus I had to go out of town for a week, so valuable time is clicking off the clock without making a decision..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heronimo42 said:

anybody know if extensions for handgun permits can be done online or is that still paper?  I have three permits with about 30 days left on them.  

I think not as the extension requires another signature.

• Thanks 1

Newly issued permits have the Extension boxes filled in and signed-so they are good for six months up front.  The local detective said that this is being done per new instructions from the State Police. My guess is that permits started under the old process will be extended according to the old precedures. . .