Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

On 3/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, SIGMan Freud said:

Do we know if relatives can be used as a reference now? The instructions and the actual form conflict with each other:

"When completing the application you will need the correct email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members."

"Application requires references from two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives."

:think:

are you guessing or do you know, because SIGMan pointed out a pretty remarkable discrepancy that i don't see was ever addressed

15 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

are you guessing or do you know, because SIGMan pointed out a pretty remarkable discrepancy that i don't see was ever addressed

https://evogov.s3.amazonaws.com/21/media/207572.pdf

References can be family members for East Windsor permit applications. . .

Got the email this morning at 6:03am that my permits are ready. Waiting until that call me to pick them up. That makes it 3 weeks and a day which is normal for my town. If you minus out the week or so delay for my one reference not receiving his email it would cut it down to 2 weeks. 

7 hours ago, czechmark said:

https://evogov.s3.amazonaws.com/21/media/207572.pdf

References can be family members for East Windsor permit applications. . .

Monroe Twp also allows family to be used for references since the switch to fars. Previously they had barred you from using family or law enforcement as references.

One of my Rugers went back for repair and has to be replaced so I need a permit.

It may have cost an extra 15 bucks but it was real easy and I didn't have to go to police station. Took 10 minutes to fill out and my references had their emails within 90 minutes. We'll see how long the permits take, Clark used to be about a month.

Hey all, new here but definitely wanted to input my and my fiance's experiences with the new system so far.
My experience:
The system was straightforward and easy when dealing with my local PD. It was the local detective's first time dealing with the system as well. The online form is literally just a web version of the STS-033 and the Mental health waiver. Family members CAN be used as references, the local detective told me that out-of-state family might not be a good idea though, NJSP definitely wants in-state family if you use them. Overall wait from submitting to having my FID and P2Ps in hand was 23 days.

My fiance's experience on the otherhand....
She is on her fifth attempt submitting the form online because nobody really has any idea what the hell they are doing. Local PD told us that they can't take the app because her address on her DL isn't under the town's jurisdiction. Hometown PD told her that the investigating authority must be the PD serving her physical address. All of this resulted in ORI nightmares as well for her, because you have to submit a new app with new ORI to get the correct case number.
So we're gonna try range therapy for her in the meantime... 

1 hour ago, JBMarV_33 said:

She is on her fifth attempt submitting the form online because nobody really has any idea what the hell they are doing. Local PD told us that they can't take the app because her address on her DL isn't under the town's jurisdiction. Hometown PD told her that the investigating authority must be the PD serving her physical address. All of this resulted in ORI nightmares as well for her, because you have to submit a new app with new ORI to get the correct case number.

That sounds like a problem that even the FARS system wouldn't help with - when you get your Background check, the ORI Number would have to be put in regardless.  

Did you get it all figured out?

I mean - since she's your fiance, you could technically have her move in with you and use your address :)

Maybe she need to change the address on her DL to where she is living.

5 hours ago, JBMarV_33 said:

Hey all, new here but definitely wanted to input my and my fiance's experiences with the new system so far.
My experience:
The system was straightforward and easy when dealing with my local PD. It was the local detective's first time dealing with the system as well. The online form is literally just a web version of the STS-033 and the Mental health waiver. Family members CAN be used as references, the local detective told me that out-of-state family might not be a good idea though, NJSP definitely wants in-state family if you use them. Overall wait from submitting to having my FID and P2Ps in hand was 23 days.

54 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

It may be a case where she is serviced by a different post office than the town she resides.

That is what it turned out being. It was made even more confusing by the fact that if you call 911 down here, you might get Pleasantville PD, Absecon PD, or the local NJSP troop depending on who is physically the closest unit.

New system worked well for me.

West Milford PD

Application submitted on Wednesday  3/13@ 730PM.

Both my references received an email within a few minutes of my submitted application.

Received emails when each reference completed the questionnaire. (3/13 & 3/16). One of my references was away so that did delay him replying to the email.

On Tuesday, 3/19 email received after Criminal History Check was completed

On Wednesday, 3/20 received an email stating permits approved.. Picked them up later that afternoon.

Only issue I had was that I submitted for three pistol permits and when I went to pick them up, there were only two. I informed the patrolman and he said he would leave a note for the records clerk ....

I called the next morning and the records clerk had already typed up the additional permit and was ready for pickup.. West Milford PD is good that you can pick up permits/FID card 24 hours a day....

One week from start to finish...

Are they still sending reference checks to employers under this new system? That’s seriously the one thing that has stopped me from applying for new permits. I started a new job not so long ago and I really don’t want to have that conversation yet. 

Burlington still does check employer. 

I applied on 3/1. Accidentally entered an old email address for one of my refs. I notified local PD the same day. It took 26 days for them to update the email address in the system and get the reference email out. They got it back the same day.

Still no permit as of 4/13, but I was told everything was in order and it's waiting for a signature or final approval or something, she wasn't really specific.

My first permit in this town took 30 days (exactly) using the old system. This is my 2nd permit (was the 1st in town to use FARS), and the new system is taking considerably longer.

22 minutes ago, SIGMan Freud said:

So what, pray tell, happens if you're unemployed or retired?

I'm retired, so guess what, I just write "retired" in that space. The PD never questions it.

I've heard they will ask questions about "unemployed", which could be understandable. They wouldn't want a pissed off ex employee getting their hands on a firearm for retaliation. But, I don't remember the 2A having an employment qualifier...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I've heard they will ask questions about "unemployed", which could be understandable. They wouldn't want a pissed off ex employee getting their hands on a firearm for retaliation.

And what if an already gun owner just happens to get laid off? Following your logic, they should red-flag every person recently laid-off and confiscate their guns? Is that you Governor Murphy?

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I don't remember the 2A having an employment qualifier...

^^^^^THIS^^^^^  Contacting your employer and informing them that you are getting a gun is bullshit! That is between us and the city, state government. It's an invasion of privacy!:mad:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Contacting your employer and informing them that you are getting a gun is bullshit! That is between us and the city, state government.

Actually, the city and state government should have no part in us getting a firearm either. It's just between us and the big guy way upstairs.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Ouch. Is that an improvement?

Not really. I have not applied for permits in about 3 years, but if I recall 8 weeks was about normal for Berkeley using the old method. My permits may have been delayed because one of my references did not  submit his form for a few weeks.

FYI.... The email is from the state, not the township. The township was not aware of the email. 

My permits are not ready as they have not been typed up yet. They said due to Easter and Chief's hours, the permits may not be ready until the end of the month.

55 minutes ago, dajonga said:

My permits are not ready as they have not been typed up yet. They said due to Easter and Chief's hours, the permits may not be ready until the end of the month.

I ran into something similar. It was three weeks to get to the typing stage, and I was the first one to go through the online system in my town, so they told me I was the test case so they could learn. My permits sat on the Chief's desk for another week, waiting for him to sign them.