Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

Do you call and check on the status after a while, or just wait it out? I called to check status 2 weeks ago, I was told everything looked good and it was waiting for the lieutenant to approve. 

App was submitted online 3/1, so it's been a while already. There was a delay getting one of my references to reply due to my entering an old email address, but that was resolved and he replied the same day when he finally got it.

They said they would let me know when it's complete. Wait or call again?

Edit: Adding that I already bought the gun (cz-75b from Buds), it's been at the ffl since 3/5. They don't seem to mind holding it, but I don't know if it will bother them if it takes too much longer.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:24 AM, InFamous said:

Got the email this morning at 6:03am that my permits are ready. Waiting until that call me to pick them up. That makes it 3 weeks and a day which is normal for my town. If you minus out the week or so delay for my one reference not receiving his email it would cut it down to 2 weeks. 

I hadn't heard anything since last Friday, so I emailed the Corporal I talked to earlier for a status update. He immediately called me and apologized saying he set my application as approved and done on Friday like I said above, the woman in charge of typing up the permits has been out sick all week and has caused this new delay. He said he's been working on the policy changes for  the department to implement the FARS system and said it was a good learning process. He said there's been 2 more applicants since I was the guinea pig. Early next week I should have my permits. 

The old way was definitely faster, it's always been +/- three weeks, but given the learning process that I'm hoping I've helped my PD figure out, the delay with my one references not getting the email reference, and this new delay, I'm still saying it should have been around or under 2 weeks. 

8 hours ago, mjtrip001 said:

Do you call and check on the status after a while, or just wait it out? I called to check status 2 weeks ago, I was told everything looked good and it was waiting for the lieutenant to approve. 

App was submitted online 3/1, so it's been a while already. There was a delay getting one of my references to reply due to my entering an old email address, but that was resolved and he replied the same day when he finally got it.

They said they would let me know when it's complete. Wait or call again?

Edit: Adding that I already bought the gun (cz-75b from Buds), it's been at the ffl since 3/5. They don't seem to mind holding it, but I don't know if it will bother them if it takes too much longer.

See above, if you received the automated email that they're done and you called two weeks ago, I would reach out nicely and ask. 

1 hour ago, InFamous said:

"if you received the automated email that they're done and you called two weeks ago, I would reach out nicely and ask." 

That's just it, I didn't get the final email yet. I was the first in town to use the new online method, and my local PD is still learning the system. They couldn't figure out how to update my reference email address for weeks. They verbally told me everything looked good and it was waiting for final approval, but that was over 2 weeks ago. I got the reference replied and the criminal check completed emails, but so far that's all..

@mjtrip001 , I'm in the same situation as far as being the first in my town. I guess my contact at the PD has been a bit more helpful than yours is being. We are pretty much going through the exact same process but I applied on the 20th of March. I also had a delay in one of my references who didn't receive his email and that is when my contact with my local PD initiated. When I talked to him today he said he finished my application through the FARS system last Friday which is when I got the email it was completed.  

I would contact him and say you haven't received your completion email from the NJ FARS system and was wondering if there was anything else you can or needed to do to help the process. 

One thing I have been doing the entire time is saying I know I'm the first one, I'm in no rush for my permits, that I really just wanted to help my local PD get familiar with process so it'll be streamlined in the future. I've joked numerous times that I don't mind being the guinea pig, and I'm glad I could help him learn the new system. 

I believe I was the first to use the online system in Wanaque.  Completed the online application on 3/29.

• References received their emails the same day and returned that week.
  • Fingerprinted on 4/4.
  • Stopped by the PD on 4/5 to sign the Mental Health form.
  • Received email on 4/14 that criminal history check was complete.
  • On 4/22 received email that permits were approved. The PD called later that day to advise ready for pick up.

Not bad for NJ.  Everyone at my station was very pleasant to deal with.  I lived out of state within the last 10 years so that address was on the mental health check and i'm sure they had to wait for NY to respond.  

Finally got the call that my permits are ready to be picked up. Applied late 3/20, had about a week delay with one of my references/the PD getting their logins and it seems another 1.5 week delay because the clerk was sick. So without delays it would have been just over 3 weeks which is standard for my PD. 

Didn’t read all eight pages but have a recent experience with the FARS system. I just did the new online process in Hawthorne. They’ve always been reasonably quick with my pistol permits but This was less than ten days from when I clicked submit to when I picked them up! Pretty good in my opinion. 

Also, maybe it’s town-dependent but I didn’t pay until I picked up my permits. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, njitmetal said:

Didn’t read all eight pages but have a recent experience with the FARS system. I just did the new online process in Hawthorne. They’ve always been reasonably quick with my pistol permits but This was less than ten days from when I clicked submit to when I picked them up! Pretty good in my opinion. 

Also, maybe it’s town-dependent but I didn’t pay until I picked up my permits. 

Nope, you don't pay until you pick up the permits. I picked mine up today and handed the officer at the dispatch window my $6 check for my 3 permits. He looked confused and asked if the guy dealing with the permits knew I was dropping a check off. I laughed a little and said, I used the new NJ FARS system and you don't pay until you pick them up. He goes "Oh! You're the first one for this!" LOL

• Like 1

So I applied with the new online system (for 3 p2p) in my town today (Paramus).  The records department rep told me that when everything is done I would then pay for the permits when I pick them up.

The only "issue" or discrepancy I see between the PD instructions and the NJSP's site is whether or not the references can be relatives or not.  The NJSP site reads "other than a relative" while the PD instructions reads "your references can be family members".  I used relatives with different last name as mine to make it more legit (one reference already completed his form within minutes of the app being completed). 

We will see how it turns out.

I picked up my permits from Berkeley Twp. today.

Just about 2 months start to finish. Not great.

A funny....they marked my hair as blue and my eyes as brown. They had to redo all 4 of my permits whilst I waited in the lobby.

16 hours ago, dajonga said:

I picked up my permits from Berkeley Twp. today.

Just about 2 months start to finish. Not great.

A funny....they marked my hair as blue and my eyes as brown. They had to redo all 4 of my permits whilst I waited in the lobby.

I'm sure that was a "mistake".  One thing to watch for: The online form only asks for middle initial, while the multicopy paper permit you actually have in hand states "middle name". I had to have the clerk correct my form after a call to my FFL told me that it should be the middle name, not just initial.

2 hours ago, Fring Spield said:

I'm sure that was a "mistake".  One thing to watch for: The online form only asks for middle initial, while the multicopy paper permit you actually have in hand states "middle name". I had to have the clerk correct my form after a call to my FFL told me that it should be the middle name, not just initial.

Yikes. I just noticed my middle name is my initial. Looks like another trip to PD.

I just picked up a handgun today, my P2P has my initial for my middle name, when filling out the form I put my full middle name.  No issues. It's been like this every handgun I've purchased. No worries. You're fine. 

17 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

"Danger Zone" - Kenny Loggins 

Middle initial on my permits as well.

I didn't want to take the chance that NICS would reject it without everything matching between the P2P and my NJ FPID card and have to go through anymore procedural hoops. It looked like a typo to me, but I see the online form and paper form don't match in what's asked for.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, Fring Spield said:

I didn't want to take the chance that NICS would reject it without everything matching between the P2P and my NJ FPID card and have to go through anymore procedural hoops. It looked like a typo to me, but I see the online form and paper form don't match in what's asked for.

Middle names or initials are not submitted when your information is sent to the NICS unit.

I picked up a nice 4" Ruger Security Six on Saturday. The guys at the new FFL in Beachwood, Freedom Firearms Unlimited, could not have cared less about the middle initial typo.

A very nice shop, btw.

Just adding my experience in Delran.  A million times better than the previous application process.  I've always had problems with snail mail never getting to my reference, or their letter not making it back since I've lived in Delran.  Switched references constantly just in case they weren't being truthful.  I think the quickest I've ever gotten permits before now is 3 months.  I think it's just because it's mostly digitally automated, rather than paperwork and snail mail.

4/23 Filed at 5:30PM, mutilated ID card and 3 pistol permits.  Both references responded by 7PM.

4/24 Delran wants money up front for PPP's before processing anything, went in and paid $6 to clerk.

4/27 Criminal History Check complete.

5/6 Application approved.

Well nothing has changed here with me and NJSP. I submitted on 2/2 and so far zip. I called Trenton and got the old “they’re here and approved the station just needs to pickup their mail”. That was 3 weeks ago. 

Paramus PD - applied for 3x P2P:

Applied online 4/26

Both References replied 4/26

Background Check completed 5/4

Application Approval email received 5/7

Now waiting for the PD to call me so I can pick up the permits.  The "old fashioned" way it would take 60-90 days through the whole process.  The mental health form was usually the hold up. 

• Like 1