Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

On 5/6/2019 at 9:32 AM, BobA said:

Well nothing has changed here with me and NJSP. I submitted on 2/2 and so far zip. I called Trenton and got the old “they’re here and approved the station just needs to pickup their mail”. That was 3 weeks ago. 

I didn't think this new system would improve the process for anyone that had to deal with the NJSP.  While I see process completion times between 8 days and 7 weeks on average (for municipal police departments) when I read through this thread, the state police is another matter.

38 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

I didn't think this new system would improve the process for anyone that had to deal with the NJSP.  While I see process completion times between 8 days and 7 weeks on average (for municipal police departments) when I read through this thread, the state police is another matter.

Yeah. You can say that again. 

I received e-mail notifications that both of my references responded both with their questionnaires completed, my criminal background check has been completed, employment verification was done, and since I've lived in NJ for at least ten years, a mental health background check was not required.  Fingerprints are already on file.  This is for 3 P2Ps. 

Does anyone know what the next step is?

1 hour ago, dilbert1967 said:

...since I've lived in NJ for at least ten years, a mental health background check was not required. 

I'm glad it worked out that way, though one could argue that living in NJ for at least 10 years should be grounds for failing a mental health background check.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

I received e-mail notifications that both of my references responded both with their questionnaires completed, my criminal background check has been completed, employment verification was done, and since I've lived in NJ for at least ten years, a mental health background check was not required.  Fingerprints are already on file.  This is for 3 P2Ps. 

Does anyone know what the next step is?

You're just waiting for the email saying the PD marked your application as "complete", then a phone call from your PD telling you they're signed and ready to pick up.

4 hours ago, InFamous said:

You're just waiting for the email saying the PD marked your application as "complete", then a phone call from your PD telling you they're signed and ready to pick up.

So I filed my application on line on 30 April.  And all of the steps have been completed as of 9 May 2019.  Under the old system, this is where I wait for the two notifications above, which usually take about 5 1/2 months, give or take.

Under the new system, I may not get the paperwork any faster, but I have a pretty good idea where it is sitting.

11 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

NJSP.

Yup. I guessed as much. Here it is a rainy Mother’s Day, no one on the roads. Everyone visiting their Moms instead of committing crimes. A perfect day to take a trip to Trenton and pick up the mail. But nooooo!

Mine went in on 2/2/19. I called Trenton over three weeks ago and it was approved and awaiting pick up. 

39 minutes ago, BobA said:

Yup. I guessed as much. Here it is a rainy Mother’s Day, no one on the roads. Everyone visiting their Moms instead of committing crimes. A perfect day to take a trip to Trenton and pick up the mail. But nooooo!

Mine went in on 2/2/19. I called Trenton over three weeks ago and it was approved and awaiting pick up. 

Indeed.  I can't pick it up myself because the station commander, a lieutenant, has to sign it.

4 hours ago, BobA said:

You know your 90 day clock probably started three weeks ago also. I have dealt with Red Lion and most times they were 3-4 weeks old by the time they  called me to pick them up.

10 minutes ago, mark42361 said:

You know your 90 day clock probably started three weeks ago also. I have dealt with Red Lion and most times they were 3-4 weeks old by the time they  called me to pick them up.

Yup. When I bought that up to them they quickly told me the permits were now 6 months.  

I didn't think this warranted its own thread.

I applied online this past Sunday, confirmation email came through shortly after. Monday AM I had the email my 1st reference had completed the form, in the afternoon I got the email for the 2nd.

The FAQ section of the state site references a "Next Steps" section in the confirmation email. None of the emails I've gotten have that. I have (sadly) lived in this State my entire life, so it is my understanding I do not need Form S.P. 66 again.

I do not have a local PD, so I deal with NJSP directly.

My main question is.... have those of you that have applied via FARS, had this "Next Steps" in the email or a dedicated email about it, or do I just sit around and wait for the notification to pick up my permits?

Sit and wait, you'll get a confirmation email saying your background check went through, then an email saying your permits are ready, then I would assume a call from NJSP saying to come pick them up. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I received an email stating the criminal background check was completed; hopefully things will progress quickly.

Got call from my PD 3 days later.

7 hours ago, david8613 said:

So is the new process easier, quicker or same as before? I never really had any problems here in north Bergen. 

About a month faster in my town. Went from 5-6 weeks down to exactly 2.

some towns still seem to be dragging their feet. 

I put in for some permits this afternoon, pretty easy system. My references received emails about an hour later! I'm wondering how much quicker this is going to be north bergen? I'm very hopeful. am I supposed to go to my P.D. station to pay for pistol permits now, or when the permits get there for pick up? 

Not sure if this was mentioned, but it is now impossible to have a reference that does not use email. The form cannot be completed without an email address. Not sure what they do if the email is invalid or they don't answer back. Will they call? Mail? In either case, seems if the email gets lost in the spam you are going to have major delays in getting a permit.

They also call your workplace. Talk about breach of privacy! Better hope your boss isn't a vengeful liberal that retaliates against you for owning a gun.

Basically, I think the system is technically faster now, but only if you're on top of your references. Get them to check their email same day/next day and answer the questions ASAP. Also means no: non-English speaking references, old folks who don't use email, etc...

12 hours ago, jasonx said:

Not sure what they do if the email is invalid or they don't answer back.

I have some experience with this. My contacts list in my phone had an outdated email address for one of my contacts. I found out and informed them immediately, but there was no way for me to go back and correct it myself. Basically, your local PD will have to contact the State Police and that's the only way it can be corrected. It took 3 weeks for someone to actually update it to the correct address.

You will know if they don't respond, because you get confirmation when they do respond, so no notification, no response. If you need to provide an alternate contact, contact the local PD. You can call your contact yourself and have the system re-send the email if they missed it.

My employer was contacted the old way and with the new online app, so that is not a change (at least it wasn't in Burlington).

Just now, kc17 said:

Did you get a system notification when your employer responded/was contacted?

No, but when I called local PD to check the status, they asked me who at my work they should contact, so I gave them the HR person who does workplace verification. I didn't get notified when that was done, but I assumed it was done that same day. I hope this helps.

Thanks. I deal with the State Police and I work for a larger company and have always just given the main number (which is now a computer prompt). Never had anyone from work question me or bring it up.

It's been a little over a week since the email that I passed the criminal history check; nothing since.

1 minute ago, david8613 said:

Is there anyway to check status online? If not who do I call to get updates on status

Did you already get your reference confirmations, and your criminal check confirmation? You can call your local PD for an update..