Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

Yes reference confirmation went in the same day I applied for permits,  I haven't received criminal check confirmation yet. I just called my P.D. the main person I have to talk to is not in today. Am I supposed to get a call from a detective to verify I am me? I get alot of robo calls and usually dont pick up if I see a strange number. 

9 minutes ago, david8613 said:

I haven't received criminal check confirmation yet.

The State Police do the criminal check as far as I know. I waited until I got all the confirmation emails before I called to inquire about the status. But it won't hurt if you do. 

On 6/19/2019 at 11:44 PM, jasonx said:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but it is now impossible to have a reference that does not use email. The form cannot be completed without an email address. Not sure what they do if the email is invalid or they don't answer back. Will they call? Mail? In either case, seems if the email gets lost in the spam you are going to have major delays in getting a permit.

They also call your workplace. Talk about breach of privacy! Better hope your boss isn't a vengeful liberal that retaliates against you for owning a gun.

Basically, I think the system is technically faster now, but only if you're on top of your references. Get them to check their email same day/next day and answer the questions ASAP. Also means no: non-English speaking references, old folks who don't use email, etc...

what?  call your employer?

35 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Dang! That was quick!!!! What town???

I put mine in the 18th.

Old bridge.

13 days from applying to getting in hand

On 6/20/2019 at 12:43 PM, kc17 said:

I work for a larger company and have always just given the main number 

I always just give my own number at work, figuring I can either verify my own employment, or transfer them to HR

But my local PD has never called to verify.  

8 minutes ago, 10X said:

I always just give my own number at work, figuring I can either verify my own employment, or transfer them to HR

But my local PD has never called to verify.  

I do the same thing. I give them my work cell. They  NEVER called. In the long run they can’t refuse you for this. They can’t deny the unemployed, a housewife (oops I mean houseperson), retired, self employed, disabled, etc. from this. And they know it. 

On 7/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, leo-польд said:

Stopped by police to get this code for the application and lady there said - it might be short wait. 2 weeks! :) I can't believe it, use to be 1.5-2 month or so. Will tell you true time when I will get my permits, just submit online application.

I was in the same situation in my town.

Picked up my permits today from P.D., they actually would have been ready last week but I was out of town. So total days would have been about 16 days! That's a record for me, north Bergen police dept. Is doing a very good with this new F.a.r.s. system.

I just recently completed a Change of Address FID and permits in north jersey (two weeks ago completed, whole process took 3 months...)

My local PD office was not using FARS...had to complete the manual paperwork I was used to and they mailed out letters to my two references.  

I'm probably not up to speed, but how prevalent is this FARS system? 

I'm new here, but I'm trying to get my FID as I have just turned 18 in April. Unfortunately everyone around me over the age of 18 is a liberal and would obviously would be terrible references. Am I allowed to use my friends who are under 18 as references? If not I'm kind of in a pickle.

Maplewood resident here. I just went through the process which is almost complete. 

I spent 2 weeks tracking down the detective who handles the process. He gave me the code to punch in to the online form. Criminal check and references went quickly. 

Then spent another two weeks trying to meet up with the detective so I could pay my $2 for the permit. Finally met with him last week. He said it would likely be another 1-2 weeks till I get my permit.

Sucks that we still have to go through this process, but at least it's more transparent. Also, last time I applied, it took 5 months to get my permits. This time, from the time I filled out the online form to now is about 4 weeks. Assuming I get my permits next week, that's a 5 weeks instead of months. 

The real thing I don't understand is why they can't just collect the $2 via credit card and then send the permits to the police, rather than charge the police $2 per permit for a box of them in advance. That alone would have shaved 2 weeks off the process.

I can't wait to get out of this hell-hole of a state. Wish my wife was on board. After the kids leave for college (still got plenty more years for that), I'm leaving this state with or without her. She can figure out how to pay for property taxes without my income. 

• Agree 2

South Orange Resident Here Submitted online 6/25/19 permits only.. Received email status update 7/13/19 Approved Do not appear at the approving police dept until you have been contacted. Received letter from SO Police to pick up dated 7/17/19. Picked up from records bureau and paid by check for permits.

Cliffside Park here:

7/30: Online application submitted for handgun permits only

7/30: Update received that both references  returned questionnaire 

8/1: Update received for completed criminal background check

It’s now 8/6. Hopefully I hear something within the next two weeks 

Okay, finally getting around to trying out this new system.  Has anyone from the Clinton/Bethlehem area applied via the Perryville NJSP barracks?  If so, how was you experience?  I’m looking to head off any issues.  Last time i applied for permits they sat approved/Signed in the barracks for 3 months.  I kept getting the standard answer of...we’ll call you when they are ready...

Applied for three P2P.  I deal with the Red Lion Barracks in Southampton.  Submitted the digital forms on 30 April and got a call today to pick them.  Approximately three and a half months.  Sounds terrible, but the old system took five and a half months and my references never received anything in the mail.

Just applied again last night for more permits via Old Bridge. Last time they were ready for pick up in 13 days.

I was happy to see they now accept payment for the permits online via the town website. They require payment before they start “doing their work” on the permit, and this would require a trip down to the PD to pay. 

I've been MIA from this site, and firearms in general, for quite a while, but I'm getting ready to apply for more permits.

I went on Facebook last night and found a post on my town's PD page (Parsippany) from July stating that they were switching over to the online FARS system. I left a comment asking whether relatives were allowed to be used as references. The PD responded with a quick "no," but they also said they would double check in the morning to see if things had changed. Credit to them for at least being responsive.

I mentioned that I know other municipalities allow it now (i.e. East Windsor, per their online instructions that were posted earlier in this thread)... 

They got back to me this morning that "Per the state form and the NJSP website FAQ, you cannot use relatives as a reference." 

Has anyone actually used relatives as a reference successfully? I don't really care either way, it's not a problem that I can't, I just find it hard to believe that certain towns allow it and certain towns don't? It's obviously possible that the rules have changed and Parsippany PD doesn't even know it.

Just curious. 

2 hours ago, Luke_WO said:

I've been MIA from this site, and firearms in general, for quite a while, but I'm getting ready to apply for more permits.

I went on Facebook last night and found a post on my town's PD page (Parsippany) from July stating that they were switching over to the online FARS system. I left a comment asking whether relatives were allowed to be used as references. The PD responded with a quick "no," but they also said they would double check in the morning to see if things had changed. Credit to them for at least being responsive.

I mentioned that I know other municipalities allow it now (i.e. East Windsor, per their online instructions that were posted earlier in this thread)... 

They got back to me this morning that "Per the state form and the NJSP website FAQ, you cannot use relatives as a reference." 

Has anyone actually used relatives as a reference successfully? I don't really care either way, it's not a problem that I can't, I just find it hard to believe that certain towns allow it and certain towns don't? It's obviously possible that the rules have changed and Parsippany PD doesn't even know it.

Just curious. 

I guess it depends on the definition of "relative" and/or the cleo's own interpretation. Yrs ago my chief wouldn't let me use my Sis in laws husband because we were "related". Fast forward a few chiefs and my current one said anyone outside the immediate family ( wife,bro,sis,ma,pa..) and not living with you is gtg and that relation was now ok. Idk if there is a official cutoff where family ends as far as refernces go.

3 hours ago, siderman said:

I guess it depends on the definition of "relative" and/or the cleo's own interpretation. Yrs ago my chief wouldn't let me use my Sis in laws husband because we were "related". Fast forward a few chiefs and my current one said anyone outside the immediate family ( wife,bro,sis,ma,pa..) and not living with you is gtg and that relation was now ok. Idk if there is a official cutoff where family ends as far as refernces go.

My municipality: 

http://www.hopewelltwp.org/228/Firearm-Applications

"Note: references can be family members."