Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

Finally took the plunge...

Submitted request for 3 permits via the online system yesterday, 8/16 @ 12:53pm with the Perryville SP barracks listed.  

payment for $27 was collected at time of submittal.  References sent inside 5 minutes of submittal.  Both references completed  same day by 2:52pm

my biggest concern in this process is the employment verification.  My company uses Work Number to verify title, salary and start date.  It’s an automated services that requires someone to call, punch in a code and then my personal info.  Based on the fact that my last batch of permits sat on a desk for 3.5 months before they we signed and ready has me thinking the work verification is going to trip up the process...fingers crossed.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:34 PM, Sparda81 said:

Cliffside Park here:

7/30: Online application submitted for handgun permits only

7/30: Update received that both references  returned questionnaire 

8/1: Update received for completed criminal background check

It’s now 8/6. Hopefully I hear something within the next two weeks 

8/20: Received the call this morning that my permits are ready for pickup. Payment due at that time. Not too bad!

On 3/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, PK90 said:

Did I miss how an employer gets notified and how they need to respond?

Surely a stupid question, and I’ve only started reading through this thread... but, they do that?

Never have for mine, pretty sure I’d have been told. 

For as much as I hate the reference request, the employer one seems even more dumb and less insightful into one being a “threat”.

i always thought it was just a hassling question. 

5 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

Surely a stupid question, and I’ve only started reading through this thread... but, they do that?

Never have for mine, pretty sure I’d have been told. 

For as much as I hate the reference request, the employer one seems even more dumb and less insightful into one being a “threat”.

i always thought it was just a hassling question. 

Yes, they can call your employer. Don't know what they ask besides if the person actually works there. An attempt to catch a stupid person in a lie and then use it as a pretext to disallow the permit? Who knows.

2 minutes ago, jasonx said:

Yes, they can call your employer. Don't know what they ask besides if the person actually works there. An attempt to catch a stupid person in a lie and then use it as a pretext to disallow the permit? Who knows.

Thanks.  “Can” and “do”, or more critically “are mandated to”, are very different things.  

Its crazy to me if if they do... and I’ve never experienced this (knocking on wood) 

Just now, JHZR2 said:

Thanks.  “Can” and “do”, or more critically “are mandated to”, are very different things.  

Its crazy to me if if they do... and I’ve never experienced this (knocking on wood) 

They called my employer, which is why I say "can" and "do." I have no idea what their company policy is however.

Middletown 

Applied 7/26/19 (p2p replacement FID)

references answered immediately same day. 

Lost email when background was completed 

8/17/19 email approved don’t show up to issuing authority. 

8/21/19 letter arrived at home stating ready for pick up.

Only annoyance permits dated 8/16/19 so that’s when they were signed by the chief, but overall a lot quicker than usual. Happy with results of new system 

31 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Middletown 

Applied 7/26/19 (p2p replament FID)

references answered immediately same day. 

Lost email when background was completed 

8/17/19 email approved don’t show up to issuing authority. 

8/21/19 letter arrived at home stating ready for pick up.

Only annoyance permits dated 8/16/19 so that’s when they were signed by the chief, but overall a lot quicker than usual. Happy with results of new system 

On my initial FID about 10 years ago, the gap between the date of the chief's signature and the time I was told the FID was ready was approx. 80 days. I'd have gladly settled for 5 lol 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Luke_WO said:

On my initial FID about 10 years ago, the gap between the date of the chief's signature and the time I was told the FID was ready was approx. 80 days. I'd have gladly settled for 5 lol 

Believe me this has streamlined the process greatly for my local PD average wait time for a p2p was months 3-6 previously, I have zero complaints. Just figured I’d highlight that. 

On 7/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, david8613 said:

Picked up my permits today from P.D., they actually would have been ready last week but I was out of town. So total days would have been about 16 days! That's a record for me, north Bergen police dept. Is doing a very good with this new F.a.r.s. system.

Did you pay before picking up the permits or when they called you to pick them up? I’m in North Bergen using the FARS system. 

50 minutes ago, SalNorthBergen said:

Did you pay before picking up the permits or when they called you to pick them up? I’m in North Bergen using the FARS system. 

I stopped at my PD once I started the online process attempting to pay.

They told me, you don’t pay till you pick up the permits. I do believe each township may do this differently, I’d check. 

Anyone ever file for permits via the FARS system using NJSP barracks in Perryville NJ (or any trooper barracks)? 

Im trying to gauge how long after the crim check was compete to expect a call saying my permits are ready.   Both my references and crim check came back inside 7 days but nothing since.  Is there a way to see what part of the process is next?  

Thanks

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

Anyone ever file for permits via the FARS system using NJSP barracks in Perryville NJ (or any trooper barracks)? 

Im trying to gauge how long after the crim check was compete to expect a call saying my permits are ready.   Both my references and crim check came back inside 7 days but nothing since.  Is there a way to see what part of the process is next?  

Thanks

I believe After the application and background completions it’s just a waiting game. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, SalNorthBergen said:

One more question.  I lived in Jersey for 10 years. Do I need to hand in a mental records check?

You do not. Though it may be dependent on whether or not you already have an FID. I just picked up my permits after submitting through FARS and I didn’t have to submit the mental health form.

The FARS faq says as much.

Parsippany PD (07054)

8/23/19 - Submitted paperwork for 3 permits online

8/26/19 - Both references completed and submitted, received confirmation email stating such

8/28/19 - Received email that criminal history check was completed

9/20/19 - Received email that the permits were done and to wait for contact from my local PD before picking up

9/24/19 - Received phone call from local PD that permits were ready and to bring $6 cash or check to pay for the 3 permits. 

So, all told, 1 month from start to finish, including weekends. I was secretly hoping that the time between the completed criminal history check and the email that the permits were done would be shorter than 3+ weeks, but it's still an improvement. I'm not smart enough to know whether or not making it easier for us by doing everything online is good or bad in the long run. All I know is that my permits took exactly a month, and I'm not complaining. 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, NJSigfan said:

Finally took the plunge...

Submitted request for 3 permits via the online system yesterday, 8/16 @ 12:53pm with the Perryville SP barracks listed.  

payment for $27 was collected at time of submittal.  References sent inside 5 minutes of submittal.  Both references completed  same day by 2:52pm

my biggest concern in this process is the employment verification.  My company uses Work Number to verify title, salary and start date.  It’s an automated services that requires someone to call, punch in a code and then my personal info.  Based on the fact that my last batch of permits sat on a desk for 3.5 months before they we signed and ready has me thinking the work verification is going to trip up the process...fingers crossed.

Recapping..

submitted and paid for 3 permits on 8/16

references completed on 8/16

criminal completed 8/22

FARS approval on 9/6....

waiting for Perryvile SP to call...22 days  

Email from trooper to come up permits...9/27.  Permits dated 9/20.

now....what to get..

51 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

Recapping..

submitted and paid for 3 permits on 8/16

criminal completed 8/22

FARS approval on 9/6....

waiting for Perryvile SP to call...18 days and  counting.  And yes I’ve called every 5 days...

It was late last year, before FARS but my permits got lost between NJSP Trenton and the local barracks. It took 10 days of them repeatedly failing to return phone calls and giving me BS before they accepted that they had been lost and Trenton sent a duplicate set. (Same serial numbers and issue dates even though this was 6 weeks late)

A month later I got a call saying my permits were in, even though I had already used one of the duplicates.

Final numbers

submitted and paid for 3 permits on 8/16

criminal completed 8/22

FARS approval on 9/6....

waiting for Perryvile SP to call...22 days  

Email from trooper to come get permits...9/27.  Permits dated 9/20.

employer verification didn’t appear to be an issue given the overall days (22) it took for FARS approval.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:35 PM, NJSigfan said:

waiting for Perryvile SP to call...22 days  

Email from trooper to come get permits...9/27.  Permits dated 9/20.

employer verification didn’t appear to be an issue given the overall days (22) it took for FARS approval.

NJSP use a "pony express" system to distribute permits around the State. They use troopers who might happen to be travelling down to Trenton to pick up the mail. It ridiculous that they can wait a couple of weeks to get documents that are time bound out to where they should be.

My last set of permits got lost and it took 10 days of hounding before they admitted they didn't know where they were and Trenton sent a duplicate set by USPS to my local barracks.

They were exact duplicates - the issue and expiry dates were the same as the originals so they came with a month pre-expired.