Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

On 8/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, Cecil Harvey said:

Maplewood resident here. I just went through the process which is almost complete. 

I spent 2 weeks tracking down the detective who handles the process. He gave me the code to punch in to the online form. Criminal check and references went quickly. 

Then spent another two weeks trying to meet up with the detective so I could pay my $2 for the permit. Finally met with him last week. He said it would likely be another 1-2 weeks till I get my permit.

Sucks that we still have to go through this process, but at least it's more transparent. Also, last time I applied, it took 5 months to get my permits. This time, from the time I filled out the online form to now is about 4 weeks. Assuming I get my permits next week, that's a 5 weeks instead of months. 

The real thing I don't understand is why they can't just collect the $2 via credit card and then send the permits to the police, rather than charge the police $2 per permit for a box of them in advance. That alone would have shaved 2 weeks off the process.

I can't wait to get out of this hell-hole of a state. Wish my wife was on board. After the kids leave for college (still got plenty more years for that), I'm leaving this state with or without her. She can figure out how to pay for property taxes without my income. 

hey, im also Maplewood...

Have my FID and made a purchase last March. I recently applied online for 2 more purchase permits, got approval from NJSP saying everything is fine, and that i should be able to pick up permits at PD...But, i had to go in, meet with them, pay, and now wait for 1-2 weeks more, while they do more investigating...Not sure why this is, esp after NJSP have told me there's no reason why the local PD should do anything further.

42 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

hey, im also Maplewood...

Have my FID and made a purchase last March. I recently applied online for 2 more purchase permits, got approval from NJSP saying everything is fine, and that i should be able to pick up permits at PD...But, i had to go in, meet with them, pay, and now wait for 1-2 weeks more, while they do more investigating...Not sure why this is, esp after NJSP have told me there's no reason why the local PD should do anything further.

The online system hasn’t helped me much either. My wife waited 39 days to hear from Trenton all is good and we’ll hear from our barracks next. That was almost 2 weeks ago. Pony express?

Has anyone gone through FARS process in Cherry Hill?

I am following the CHPD's instructions for FARS. 

I submitted my online application on Nov 15 and my references received and completed their email survey within a day. I then schedule to have my finger prints taken the following week Nov 22 (that was the first opening that Indentogo had available). 

By Nov 27 I go an email update stating my criminal background check was completed. So now I am waiting. 

However, I am a bit confused on when to pay for the FID and PPP. According to the CHPD instructions I need to wait for the paperwork to be completed to go into the HQ and pay the fee. But according to others in this forum you need to pay first before they complete the paper work. From CHPD:

"Step 4:. Once your application is complete, a station representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or pistol purchase permit documents. You MUST appear at the Cherry Hill Police Department in person. The applicant will be required to make payment when they respond to retrieve their documents. Permit to purchase a handgun cost $2.00 per permit and initial firearms purchaser identification card cost $5.00."

Also, the Health background check form is only needed if you resided outside NJ for the last 10 year. But in other township it seems it must be submitted by all. According to CHPD:

"If you have resided out of the State of New Jersey within the last 10 years, you must respond to the Police Records Windows and sign a consent for Mental Health Records Form for your application to proceed."

Thanks for any insights on this process. 

Cliffside Park is obviously a different municipality but I paid when I arrived to pick up the permits. The officer at the desk was confused but I explained the FARS system (which was new to him) and then the detective that handled my paperwork arrived to corroborate what I had stated. I then handed over my money orders. I also did not have to submit the mental health form. All went according to plan for me, there’s no reason it shouldn’t work out for you in a similar fashion. Hope this helps

On 12/3/2019 at 10:45 AM, Sparda81 said:

Cliffside Park is obviously a different municipality but I paid when I arrived to pick up the permits. The officer at the desk was confused but I explained the FARS system (which was new to him) and then the detective that handled my paperwork arrived to corroborate what I had stated. I then handed over my money orders. I also did not have to submit the mental health form. All went according to plan for me, there’s no reason it shouldn’t work out for you in a similar fashion. Hope this helps

Thanks! Not sure if it's new to CH as well. I am sure someone must have gone through this process by now with CHPD. 

I will follow up in person in a week to make sure they are not waiting on something from me. 

This may be an interesting addition to this thread....

My son just turned 18 on Thanksgiving day. He applied for his initial NJ PFID card before turkey dinner. I applied for 4 pistol permits at the same time. We are in Berkeley Twp.

Berkeley says family is ok for the references. He used me and a buddy as his references. I used my son and my father as mine. 

Let's see how this shakes out in the "initial fpid" vs. "another round of pistol permits".

EDIT.... He did not have to pay a dime on the FARS, but I had to pay 20-something bucks. We both have lived in at our current address since 2003. Do they ding us more for pistol permits vs. PFID?

2 hours ago, dajonga said:

EDIT.... He did not have to pay a dime on the FARS, but I had to pay 20-something bucks. We both have lived in at our current address since 2003. Do they ding us more for pistol permits vs. PFID?

The charge is for the Non-Criminal Background check. Since this is your son's initial application he will have to pay for the fingerprinting which includes the background check. Once he has his FPID anytime he applies for permits (once he's 21) he'll have to pay also.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On 12/4/2019 at 12:55 PM, Armvel said:

Thanks! Not sure if it's new to CH as well. I am sure someone must have gone through this process by now with CHPD. 

I will follow up in person in a week to make sure they are not waiting on something from me. 

Just an update. So my FID and PPP got approved so now I am waiting for CHPD to contact me to pick it up. It took 22 days (including holidays).  I guess that's not too bad. 

47 minutes ago, Armvel said:

Just an update. So my FID and PPP got approved so now I am waiting for CHPD to contact me to pick it up. It took 22 days (including holidays).  I guess that's not too bad. 

Not so fast; the clock is still running while you wait for them to call you for pick up :)

On 12/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, dajonga said:

Berkeley says family is ok for the references. He used me and a buddy as his references. I used my son and my father as mine. 

This is interesting.   I’ve never seen indication that family is OK.  I thought the old paper/pdf forms specifically restricted that in fact.  

Generally seems to me that family is who you want to be asking, since this isn’t a straw purchase and they would have reason to be most familiar. 

Anyone have a screenshot or indication that family members are now ok?

Just now, JHZR2 said:

This is interesting.   I’ve never seen indication that family is OK.  I thought the old paper/pdf forms specifically restricted that in fact.  

Generally seems to me that family is who you want to be asking, since this isn’t a straw purchase and they would have reason to be most familiar. 

Got any evidence it is not? 

That stuff, in my experience, was made up at the municipality level. The forms differed, sometimes the questions differed, etc. 

Some insisted no family members. Some places wanted to contact your spouse. 

There's nothing about it in the statutes beyond 2C:58-3c "No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth. "

My guess is the minimum of requiring evidence someone in the community in which you live thinks you are ok to own a gun is part of the secret administrative code. 

Currently it's automated and the web form doesn't seem to say don't do it. 

14 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Got any evidence it is not? 

That stuff, in my experience, was made up at the municipality level. The forms differed, sometimes the questions differed, etc. 

Some insisted no family members. Some places wanted to contact your spouse. 

There's nothing about it in the statutes beyond 2C:58-3c "No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth. "

My guess is the minimum of requiring evidence someone in the community in which you live thinks you are ok to own a gun is part of the secret administrative code. 

Currently it's automated and the web form doesn't seem to say don't do it. 

Sure.  I’m looking right at the NJSP form STS-033, which was the application for FPID and/or handgun purchase permit. 
Line 29 specifically states: 

“(29) Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives:”

Pretty clear to me, regardless of legality. If that clause was removed from the online documents, that’s great.  

1 hour ago, JHZR2 said:

This is from Berkeley Township's police website...linked here...  http://twp.berkeley.nj.us/departments/police_department/index.php

Screen grab of document ( I added highlight).....

IItibSC.jpg

EDIT>... I applied on 11/30, both references (18-year-old son and father) were done by 12/3. Got an email yesterday that my criminal history check was done.

1 hour ago, JHZR2 said:

Sure.  I’m looking right at the NJSP form STS-033, which was the application for FPID and/or handgun purchase permit. 
Line 29 specifically states: 

“(29) Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives:”

Pretty clear to me, regardless of legality. If that clause was removed from the online documents, that’s great.  

OK I went looking and could not find. It's not in the fars portal. But then again it's not of particularly high quality in terms of execution. 

Just submitted mine to NJSP Woodbine tonight for P2P's(Saw Glock is coming out with the 44, a .22LR pistol which I'm in the market for).  Friends already received the emails for their references, with-in a minute of me submitting the application.  
Hopefully it goes pretty quick.  

I submitted second application in 2019 for 3 permits and will let you know if any difference in time. First took 10 days total. I am at Franklyn township.

Question: Do you know if they are still requesting job verification from my employer as before this system got implemented? I hope it is not the case anymore. Thanks! 

OK, so I'm at stage 

"Status Update: Criminal History Check completed
You will be sent another email on completion of your application processing."

Does that mean FARS is done, or am I waiting on any other steps prior to my municipality being the choke point? 

It's been two weeks since I got that mail. 

12 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

OK, so I'm at stage 

Does that mean FARS is done, or am I waiting on any other steps prior to my municipality being the choke point? 

With your muni

10 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

OK, so I'm at stage 

Your still waiting on an email that says "Status Update: Approved."   And then after that you need to hear from your PD that they are ready to be picked up.

40 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Your still waiting on an email that says "Status Update: Approved."   And then after that you need to hear from your PD that they are ready to be picked up.

yep, you are still waiting for the "approved" email. But it took only a couple do days between those emails. 

4 hours ago, Armvel said:

yep, you are still waiting for the "approved" email. But it took only a couple do days between those emails. 

For me it was Oct 23rd and then Dec 6th between those two emails... so more than a few days.   All depends on the county and municipality.