Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

On 12/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, dajonga said:

This may be an interesting addition to this thread....

My son just turned 18 on Thanksgiving day. He applied for his initial NJ PFID card before turkey dinner. I applied for 4 pistol permits at the same time. We are in Berkeley Twp.

Berkeley says family is ok for the references. He used me and a buddy as his references. I used my son and my father as mine. 

Let's see how this shakes out in the "initial fpid" vs. "another round of pistol permits".

EDIT.... He did not have to pay a dime on the FARS, but I had to pay 20-something bucks. We both have lived in at our current address since 2003. Do they ding us more for pistol permits vs. PFID?

<<<<<UPDATE>>>>> My son got the email at 6am and the call at 3.... his first FPID card is ready to be picked up tomorrow. So, 2.5 weeks from start to finish and only 4 work days since his fingerprinting. I am impressed. FARS says my P2Ps are completed, but I am still waiting for the call to come pick them up.

EDIT>>>> Berkeley Police called at noon today with permits ready to pick up. 2.5 weeks for 4 pistol permits. 

So, yes. This confirms that Berkeley is allowing family members to be the references.

I am printing up the COEs so he can take possession of the AR we built for him in November, a lefty Mossberg 590a1 and a S&W M&P 15-22. Who knows, he may talk me out of more.

Of course, when he ships off for 6 years of the USAF in July, we will transfer the guns back to me until he can take them onto a base.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:42 AM, 0Jeep4 said:

Middletown 

Applied 7/26/19 (p2p replacement FID)

references answered immediately same day. 

Lost email when background was completed 

8/17/19 email approved don’t show up to issuing authority. 

8/21/19 letter arrived at home stating ready for pick up.

Only annoyance permits dated 8/16/19 so that’s when they were signed by the chief, but overall a lot quicker than usual. Happy with results of new system 

Did they call your work for employment verification? 
My uncle lives in Middletown and will be applying for FID/pistol permits and didn’t know if they call or not. 

Well my township of Willingboro,NJ (Burlington County) is now online and I just did my first application on FARS, Was very easy and one of my references already submitted their reference back. I like how it sends you an email for each process.. So today is 1/16/20.. Will update when permits are ready for pick up.

• Like 1

Here's my situation in Pompton Lakes:

12/5/19 - Submitted application via FARS, references contacted via email, references replied same day.
12/13/19 - Fingerprinted at IdentGo
12/16/19 - After still no confirmation email of reference responses, called and spoke with PLPD Records. They have reference replies, waiting on NJSP criminal check, say I don't need to do anything.
1/16/20 - Still did not receive reference email completion confirmation, or criminal background check completion.

I thought these status update emails come from the state, could the town be holding up the process in any way?

I'm in Newark, longtime FID, just trying to get 3 pistol permits.

10-8-19 Submitted my online registration online

10-9-19 references check
10-11-19 criminal history check completed

12-17-19 called to check with Newark PD, was told they haven't even gotten to September applications yet.

1-22-20 still no word. What can I do? I think Newark has the permits and they're just withholding them from me until the 90 days are up so they can tell me they're no longer valid and I'll have to redo them. 

6 minutes ago, jds560 said:

10-9-19 references check

12-17-19 called to check with Newark PD, was told they haven't even gotten to September applications yet.

1-22-20 still no word. What can I do? I think Newark has the permits and they're just withholding them from me until the 90 days are up so they can tell me they're no longer valid and I'll have to redo them. 

The chief can give a 90 day extension, no? So doesn’t seem sensible. I thought the extension was at their discretion, so I’d think they could give you 90 days extension, permits are valid to the statutory length, and it’s effectively the same as denying an extension.  

So what am I missing?  Don’t think the hold and deny concept holds water. 

Totally ridiculous that they have such a backlog. I thought the law said 30 days?  To admit they’re back in September admits that they’re in violation. Sounds ripe for an NJ2AS stakeout...

3 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

The chief can give a 90 day extension, no? So doesn’t seem sensible. I thought the extension was at their discretion, so I’d think they could give you 90 days extension, permits are valid to the statutory length, and it’s effectively the same as denying an extension.  

So what am I missing?  Don’t think the hold and deny concept holds water. 

Totally ridiculous that they have such a backlog. I thought the law said 30 days?  To admit they’re back in September admits that they’re in violation. Sounds ripe for an NJ2AS stakeout...

My local PD took their sweet time too, even after I called NJSP and was told that I was approved within a week of online submitting. I also contacted NJ2AS, and they didn't seem to offer much help, nor care, but go for it. Good luck

36 minutes ago, jds560 said:

10-9-19 references check

Unfortunately you’ll be waiting for a while. I’m from new Sony self and applied for two permits back in July and they finally contacted me two weeks ago to pick them up which I did. So they’re behind by a few months which really sucks. But don’t redo them cause they’re really behind on them

Just now, Migarod71 said:
40 minutes ago, jds560 said:

10-9-19 references check

Unfortunately you’ll be waiting for a while. I’m from new Sony self and applied for two permits back in July and they finally contacted me two weeks ago to pick them up which I did. So they’re behind by a few months which really sucks. But don’t redo them cause they’re really behind on them

Sorry I’m from Newark lol. Came out wrong in my original post 

On 12/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, plode said:

Just submitted mine to NJSP Woodbine tonight for P2P's(Saw Glock is coming out with the 44, a .22LR pistol which I'm in the market for).  Friends already received the emails for their references, with-in a minute of me submitting the application.  
Hopefully it goes pretty quick.  

Got notice of my permit approval VIA email, on January 21st at 6:01AM.  It says "DO NOT APPEAR AT THE APPROVING POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY ITS PERSONNEL TO RETRIEVE YOUR DOCUMENTS".  I have yet to hear from anyone at the Woodbine Barracks, it's now January 26th.  Can't wait till I get there and the permit is dated January 21st....  IMO 90 days should begin on the date I receive the permits. 

On 1/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, plode said:

Got notice of my permit approval VIA email, on January 21st at 6:01AM.  It says "DO NOT APPEAR AT THE APPROVING POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY ITS PERSONNEL TO RETRIEVE YOUR DOCUMENTS".  I have yet to hear from anyone at the Woodbine Barracks, it's now January 26th.  Can't wait till I get there and the permit is dated January 21st....  IMO 90 days should begin on the date I receive the permits. 

Finally reached out to NJSP Woodbine today(a week since I was notified my permits were approved) since I haven't heard from them.  It's now an automated phone system- press 1 for this 2 for that etc.  Selected 5 for firearms and it just rang and rang and rang.  No voice messaging system that I could tell- just kept ringing.  

24 minutes ago, plode said:

Finally reached out to NJSP Woodbine today(a week since I was notified my permits were approved) since I haven't heard from them.  It's now an automated phone system- press 1 for this 2 for that etc.  Selected 5 for firearms and it just rang and rang and rang.  No voice messaging system that I could tell- just kept ringing.  

Press 0 to get an answer. NJSP have lost two sets of permits between Trenton and Washington. The first time it took me over a month to convince them that they had lost them. The second time it was only a couple of weeks.

NJSP use what they call the "Pony Express" to move the permits from Trenton to your local barracks. This is code for "whatever trooper might be heading in roughly the right direction"

I had to persuade the nice lady at Trenton to send replacement sets via USPS both times.

4 hours ago, csap32 said:

Does anyone know what’s left for them to do after u get the criminal background check is complete email 

For some departments, I believe that is the "lets sit on this stack of papers for a couple weeks or months" step. Probably one of the most important steps in the process, based on times from some towns.

(Not sure what actual answer is, maybe typing up form and giving it to the chief for his "lets sit on this stack of papers waiting for me to sign em" step)

7 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

For some departments, I believe that is the "lets sit on this stack of papers for a couple weeks or months" step. Probably one of the most important steps in the process, based on times from some towns.

(Not sure what actual answer is, maybe typing up form and giving it to the chief for his "lets sit on this stack of papers waiting for me to sign em" step)

Yea I lived in Englishtown did the whole change of address and it was 4 1/2 months ago and still nothing even though I got an email saying criminal background check was complete called the p o and the detective gave me some bs that just cause I got that email that the background check wasnt done and there still doing it  even called the state police and they even told me that it shouldn’t have taken this long and they called the detective personally so I decided to say f this and move to my other house and start the whole process over cause apparently Englishtown is against 2a and gun owners