Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

For some departments, I believe that is the "lets sit on this stack of papers for a couple weeks or months" step. Probably one of the most important steps in the process, based on times from some towns.

(Not sure what actual answer is, maybe typing up form and giving it to the chief for his "lets sit on this stack of papers waiting for me to sign em" step)

This is the exact moment I'm in RIGHT NOW... 1/16 applied 1/17 all references were done. Criminal history was done 1/26. Now here we are. this is a shame. I know some people that have a 2-3 week turnaround...

1 minute ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

This is the exact moment I'm in RIGHT NOW... 1/16 applied 1/17 all references were done. Criminal history was done 1/26. Now here we are. this is a shame. I know some people that have a 2-3 week turnaround...

I don’t get it 10 days people get them so what is left after the criminal background check complete email it falls back on the police department 

On 1/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, Zeus2112 said:

My local PD took their sweet time too, even after I called NJSP and was told that I was approved within a week of online submitting. I also contacted NJ2AS, and they didn't seem to offer much help, nor care, but go for it. Good luck

Do you have a phone number that I could call to check on the status with the NJSP?

1 minute ago, RustyShackleford said:

Do you have a phone number that I could call to check on the status with the NJSP?

I don't have the number, but if you just look up NJ state police firearms, you'll get the main number and from there you can get to the firearms dept. It helps if you have your confirmation number handy, from the FARS site. If not, they may be able to look it up with your name. good luck

I’m just trying to figure out what is the last step after you get the criminal background check email completed does it get sent back to the police department that you filed with and they have to approve everything where is there other steps and processes 

28 minutes ago, csap32 said:

I’m just trying to figure out what is the last step after you get the criminal background check email completed does it get sent back to the police department that you filed with and they have to approve everything where is there other steps and processes 

Once everything is completed the chief of police needs to sign and date them, and then they should contact you to come down to the Police department to pay for them and pick them up. 

When you pick them up make sure to review all the info on the permits is correct.  Human error comes into play when they are printing/typing out these forms.  I've received mine back with the wrong date of birth before.  You want to make sure all of the info is accurate.

You will get several emails from the FARS system... obviously subject to change as they make changes to the system.. but my most recent encounter with the system....

SUBJECT:   Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application Submission Confirmation

Got that email when i submitted the initial request...

Then I received a few of these status updates

SUBJECT:  Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application - Status Update

One of these for each of my two references doing what they needed to do and again when the Criminal History Check was completed.. so three status updates.

And the last email I received from the system was:

SUBJECT: Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application – Application Approved 

Which stated:

Status Update: Approved. DO NOT APPEAR AT THE APPROVING POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY IT'S PERSONNEL TO RETRIEVE YOUR DOCUMENTS.

Once you get an email that everything is approved, i would give them a week and if you don't hear from them by then,  then politely call to inquire of the status. You may actually get a call from them and have them in hand even before you get that final email though.

9 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Once everything is completed the chief of police needs to sign and date them, and then they should contact you to come down to the Police department to pay for them and pick them up. 

When you pick them up make sure to review all the info on the permits is correct.  Human error comes into play when they are printing/typing out these forms.  I've received mine back with the wrong date of birth before.  You want to make sure all of the info is accurate.

You will get several emails from the FARS system... obviously subject to change as they make changes to the system.. but my most recent encounter with the system....

SUBJECT:   Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application Submission Confirmation

Got that email when i submitted the initial request...

Then I received a few of these status updates

SUBJECT:  Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application - Status Update

One of these for each of my two references doing what they needed to do and again when the Criminal History Check was completed.. so three status updates.

And the last email I received from the system was:

SUBJECT: Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit Application – Application Approved 

Which stated:

Status Update: Approved. DO NOT APPEAR AT THE APPROVING POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY IT'S PERSONNEL TO RETRIEVE YOUR DOCUMENTS.

Once you get an email that everything is approved, i would give them a week and if you don't hear from them by then,  then politely call to inquire of the status. You may actually get a call from them and have them in hand even before you get that final email though.

Yeah I was just wondering since I got an email yesterday that the criminal background check was complete now it’s up to the police department and the chief to approve it am I correct on that So since I got that email it’s now back to my police department to approve it???

Not necessarily .. somewhere in the middle of all of this is the required mental health check that the state does as well.  Im not sure when in this process its done. I never received an email on that step assuming they even send an email for that. i dont know if they run these checks consecutively or if that check is run first or after the criminal check. it also seems to matter the county your in on the mental health check where more populous counties take a look a little longer.  Some local PD's are not very 2A friendly and drag their feet at their end as well. 

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of.   I was in Englishtown I filed back in oct and still haven’t heard shit. So I told the detective who does it there that it shouldn’t take 4 1/2 months for this. Even called the state police and they agreed with me and they reached out to the detective find out what’s going on but I said screw it I moved into my other house in south bound brook change my license over filed last week and I already got everything back up to my criminal background check

On 12-7-19 I started my process had all of my references do their part and handed in my paperwork such as birth certificate proof of address and pay stub. On 1-06-20 I was finally able to get my fingerprints done. On 1-07-20 I received a reminder through email about getting my fingerprints done (ignored it since I figured I was late with that part). Fast forward to 2-07-20 I received a 2nd notice about fingerprinting. Now I’m confused as to what I need to do? Anyone else have had that issue or can steer me in the right direction? 

2 minutes ago, Will.rg said:

On 12-7-19 I started my process had all of my references do their part and handed in my paperwork such as birth certificate proof of address and pay stub. On 1-06-20 I was finally able to get my fingerprints done. On 1-07-20 I received a reminder through email about getting my fingerprints done (ignored it since I figured I was late with that part). Fast forward to 2-07-20 I received a 2nd notice about fingerprinting. Now I’m confused as to what I need to do? Anyone else have had that issue or can steer me in the right direction? 

I'd make two calls - one to the service who did the prints to confirm there's no issues, and one to the local PD handling your app to let them know your prints were done on X data but you're getting emails they have not yet been done. 

OK I have a dilemma back in October I did an FID change of address in Englishtown and here we are in February nothing yet I had to state police  call the detective that does it in my town and I haven’t heard anything back but I also have another house in south bound brook that I was fed up with Englishtown so much that I  Change my license back to south bound brook and did the whole process all over again did it last week and I’m already at the last stage of the criminal background check being completed now the detective from Englishtown calls me and tells me he has To ask me a couple questions so he could wrap this up so I can get me my F ID card and my permits but I already did another process in a different town what should I do I do reside at both places 

On 1/16/2020 at 1:57 PM, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

Well my township of Willingboro,NJ (Burlington County) is now online and I just did my first application on FARS, Was very easy and one of my references already submitted their reference back. I like how it sends you an email for each process.. So today is 1/16/20.. Will update when permits are ready for pick up.

UPDATE**

1/16/20 application started

1/16/20 reference #1 replied

1/17/20 reference #2 replied

1/24/20 criminal history check completed

2/11/20 get a call from firearms unit @ PD that I have to pay for the permits before the application can go any further. (how are you making me pay for something I don't even have in my hands?) 

ALL in ALL I had to leave work early TWICE just to do an online application.. so now it will be 3x when I pick them up smh... has anyone else had to pay before getting the actual permit in hand?!

39 minutes ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

UPDATE**

2/11/20 get a call from firearms unit @ PD that I have to pay for the permits before the application can go any further. (how are you making me pay for something I don't even have in my hands?) 

ALL in ALL I had to leave work early TWICE just to do an online application.. so now it will be 3x when I pick them up smh... has anyone else had to pay before getting the actual permit in hand?!

My PD requires mental health form done in person, and meeting with the agent before starting in FARS. Haven’t tried it yet. 

4 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

has anyone else had to pay before getting the actual permit in hand?!

NOPE! Thats the first ive ever heard of this.. Always been pay upon pick up.. And hopefully they date your permits when you pick them up! But this is sounding like a firearms UNfriendly community you are dealing with..

6 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

UPDATE**

Yes, Monroe Twp in Middlesex county also requires that you pay for permits in advance, in person at the pd. Once your permits are ready they can be picked up 24 hrs a day.

In Old Bridge they also make you pay before they start processing the paperwork via FARS.

But, they did create an online website you can pay through so you don’t have to go in and pay in person. 

last 2 rounds of permits has been exactly 15 days from start to finish. 

Just now, Gunnz said:

In Old Bridge they also make you pay before they start processing the paperwork via FARS.

But, they did create an online website you can pay through so you don’t have to go in and pay in person. 

last 2 rounds of permits has been exactly 15 days from start to finish. 

Lucky u.  I’m going on 14 days waiting for the last email of approval since last week I got the criminal background check has been completed.   Just trying to figure out what’s left 

9 minutes ago, csap32 said:

Lucky u.  I’m going on 14 days waiting for the last email of approval since last week I got the criminal background check has been completed.   Just trying to figure out what’s left 

What town?

On 2/10/2020 at 10:34 AM, Clifton1979 said:

I'd make two calls - one to the service who did the prints to confirm there's no issues, and one to the local PD handling your app to let them know your prints were done on X data but you're getting emails they have not yet been done. 

Update:

I called IdentoGO and they’ve told me everything is good on their end. Spoke with my local PD (Harrison) and he said that he’s waiting to hear from the state. My concert is if all my paperwork is with the state why am I still getting “reminder” emails for fingerprinting. Either someone is not doing their job or I’m being lied to. I’m afraid that my application is gonna be cancelled after waiting for over 2 months 

could this be affecting my process since I got my fingerprints done a month later after the initial application process?