Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

3 minutes ago, csap32 said:

Yeah south bound brook is small so who knows just not sure what’s left after the background check if it’s left for the chief to sign off or etc

What they told me was that even after NJSP do their background check, Maplewood will conduct their own. The process seems a bit redundant and also very inconsistent from town-to-town

Just now, Zeus2112 said:

What they told me was that even after NJSP do their background check, Maplewood will conduct their own. The process seems a bit redundant and also very inconsistent from town-to-town

Yeah seems kinda stupid cause the state police check is way more thorough so no need for that bs

Here is my last breakdown:

Applied 1/19 via FARS- paid town same day online

both reference submit their stuff on 1/20

email from state on 1/25 stating my criminal history was done

email from state on 2/1 stating Approved

emailed from town on 2/3 stating I can pick up.

1 minute ago, Gunnz said:

Here is my last breakdown:

Applied 1/19 via FARS- paid town same day online

both reference submit their stuff on 1/20

email from state on 1/25 stating my criminal history was done

email from state on 2/1 stating Approved

emailed from town on 2/3 stating I can pick up.

What town 

1 minute ago, csap32 said:

What town 

Old bridge.

I was thinking my last round would be slower because the lady in the records department retired, but the new person is just as fast.

she stated they try and get them done quickly.

I have applied so much over the last 8 years I wouldn’t be shocked if mine are getting fast tracked or something. I have other friends in old bridge that get them just as fast, and others that are slower.

• Like 1

Just now, Gunnz said:

Old bridge.

I was thinking my last round would be slower because the lady in the records department retired, but the new person is just as fast.

she stated they try and get them done quickly.

I have applied so much over the last 8 years I wouldn’t be shocked if mine are getting fast tracked or something. I have other friends in old bridge that get them just as fast, and others that are slower.

Nice. South bound brook is really small town only 2 cops on shift day and night and when I dropped off the mental health form to the officer who does the process he said by mid feb when I saw him end of January. I got the email of the criminal background check last week and still waiting to get approved the waiting sucks cause it could be a day to months.  

1 hour ago, Zeus2112 said:

My town (Mt. Olive) does the same thing. They conduct their own check of town records. I'm assuming what they've been called to your residence for, how many times, and other stuff they have on record for you. 

1 minute ago, InFamous said:

My town (Mt. Olive) does the same thing. They conduct their own check of town records. I'm assuming what they've been called to your residence for, how many times, and other stuff they have on record for you. 

Yea I just moved there so 

Update:

Online app submitted 2/9 for 2 permits.

2/10 got email 2 references submitted questionnaire.

2/18 History check complete

2/24 permits approved

2/28 call from Hamilton Station Trooper permits are in

No check needed. Just signed for them and went home. All in all I’m very impressed with the ease of the FARS process. Fastest  turnaround yet.

8 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Anybody deal with NJSP barracks in Hamilton? First time I’m using FARS.

Online app submitted 2/9 for 2 permits.

2/10 got email 2 references submitted questionnaire.

Haven’t heard anything since. Do I need to pay for permits ahead of time?  Any other forms I need to fill out?

My last round via NJSP Hamilton (Mercer Co).

Applied online 11/12. Emails that my references completed the surveys on 11/12 & 11/13. Email criminal history completed 11/16. Voicemail (I missed the call) from Trooper to my cell on 11/21, he was "having trouble verifying my employment". He called one of my references (happens to be a coworker) the same day; asked him if he knew where I worked, he said yes, we work together and told him where. Trooper thanked him and that was that. I spoke to the Trooper that day, claimed my company would not verify my employment w/out release letter from me. Said the confirmation from my coworker was sufficient. Email I was approved 11/24. Phone call from Trooper to pickup my permits 12/2. Without digging out the permits to check the date for verification, they were dated closer to 11/24 than 12/2. They were however already extended to 6 months.

I paid no additional fees when I picked them up, which surprised me. The prior time, I handed in a check when I picked them up, the following week I got a call telling me I had to come in to pay for the permits (that I already picked up). I told him I gave a check. Never heard back, a few days later the check cleared my bank.

I have my doubts on the chain of events on the whole letter from my company story, but I was not going to create waves. I never had an issue before. I think where I erred was by giving my desk # on the application. I am NEVER at my desk and do not get notifications when there is a VM. I later checked that line and there was a VM from the Trooper on 11/13 (I was also on vaca during that time), telling me I had to go to the Barracks and sign a release letter.

Lessons learned: do not use desk # on application, check for VM daily during application process anyway. Always use coworker as a reference.

• Agree 1

Just put in for some handgun purchase permits yesterday. (First time in several years for me.)  The procedure was very quick and easy (provided you have the email addresses of your references handy), but there was a $21 fee on top of the usual $2 per permit, the latter payable to the local department.

1 minute ago, Old Glock guy said:

Just put in for some handgun purchase permits yesterday. (First time in several years for me.)  The procedure was very quick and easy (provided you have the email addresses of your references handy), but there was a $21 fee on top of the usual $2 per permit, the latter payable to the local department.

Did they say what the fee was for?

35 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

They did, but I don't recall exactly what they said, some kind of "filing fee" to NJSP.  Perhaps someone with a better memory can chime in.  

Yeah no, that's illegal. State law explicitly prohibits any additional fees or forms for the process. I'd contact a lawyer.

34 minutes ago, JBMarV_33 said:

Yeah no, that's illegal. State law explicitly prohibits any additional fees or forms for the process. I'd contact a lawyer.

IIRC, there is nothing in the statute about fees. Only that there be no additional conditions or requirements. The additional $3 fee is what the state, in the past, called a "convenience" fee for an on-line, as opposed to hard-copy/in person, application submission. So it is the usual $18 fee for the criminal background check, that we have paid all along, plus the convenience fee.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I used the new system for an address change of my FID and some pistol permits. I received the notifications regarding my references and the background checks.  I put them in about 51 days ago, when I hit them up via email about a week ago. All I got was i would be notified when my permits were ready for pickup. Not sure how long this should realistically take or not. 

This is Bridgewater

3 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

They did, but I don't recall exactly what they said, some kind of "filing fee" to NJSP.  Perhaps someone with a better memory can chime in.  

I just did a few.  
I went to my PD to sign the 066 mental health form in person.  I paid $6 for three permits (mine won’t sign more than that with extensions). Then I went into FARS, entered all the info, and at the end had to pay a fee for the mental health check. It was like $18 plus a $3 processing fee or something like that.  Paid to the state. 

It’s been a few years for me as well regarding permits, but going online to pay the mental health check has been the case for a long while now.  

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

IIRC, there is nothing in the statute about fees. Only that there be no additional conditions or requirements. The additional $3 fee is what the state, in the past, called a "convenience" fee for an on-line, as opposed to hard-copy/in person, application submission. So it is the usual $18 fee for the criminal background check, that we have paid all along, plus the convenience fee.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks PB.  As I said, it had been awhile, and I did not recall the $18 background check fee.  Seems pretty silly that they hit us with that, and then another fee for the NICS check at the point of purchase.  (Not to mention the original background check in getting our FID.)

I

1 minute ago, Old Glock guy said:

Thanks PB.  As I said, it had been awhile, and I did not recall the $18 background check fee.  Seems pretty silly that they hit us with that, and then another fee for the NICS check at the point of purchase.  (Not to mention the original background check in getting our FID.)

It's all silly! :) I'm still waiting (after 3 weeks), for my purchase permit to be extended by my local PD. Can't even get a reply from them. My guess, is that they're doing yet another background check...

Geeez. So much variation the the process. Submitted my pistol permit application on January 17th, both my references replied the same day. On the 25th the criminal history check was completed. On the 27th I get an email from my local East Brunswick PD that I need to go in and pay for the permits and show proof of residence. I did that on January 28th. Then nothing. Been waiting ever since. I called early last week and they said it was on the chief's desk.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

UPDATE**

1/16/20 application started

1/16/20 reference #1 replied

1/17/20 reference #2 replied

1/24/20 criminal history check completed

2/11/20 get a call from firearms unit @ PD that I have to pay for the permits before the application can go any further. (how are you making me pay for something I don't even have in my hands?) 

ALL in ALL I had to leave work early TWICE just to do an online application.. so now it will be 3x when I pick them up smh... has anyone else had to pay before getting the actual permit in hand?!

UPDATE***

1/16/20 application started

1/16/20 reference #1 replied

1/17/20 reference #2 replied

1/24/20 criminal history check completed

2/11/20 get a call from firearms unit @ PD that I have to pay for the permits before the application can go any further

2/22/20 application has been approved

3/3/20 was called that permits are in and now in hand (dated  2/28/20)

Process was easy....almost 2 months wait, but for a heavily heavily democrat town w/o a sliver of republican representation I'm impressed. * now off to the candy store* :) 

1/1/2020 - I put in for an address change & 3 pistol permits

1/4/2020 - Reference Questionnaire completed

1/8/2020 - Criminal History Check completed

1/16/2020 - second Reference questionnaire completed

2/10/2020 - Contacted local PD if there was anything else I needed to complete, informed he will let me know when it was completed

2/26/2020 - Received notification I was approved

2/27/2020 -Received notification from local PD to pickup my updated FID and permits

It took a bit longer than I expected but it was painless

40 minutes ago, RobCo said:

1/1/2020 - I put in for an address change & 3 pistol permits

1/4/2020 - Reference Questionnaire completed

1/8/2020 - Criminal History Check completed

1/16/2020 - second Reference questionnaire completed

2/10/2020 - Contacted local PD if there was anything else I needed to complete, informed he will let me know when it was completed

2/26/2020 - Received notification I was approved

2/27/2020 -Received notification from local PD to pickup my updated FID and permits

It took a bit longer than I expected but it was painless

Curious what you mean by “approved”.  Does this mean the gate where the criminal history check is completed, or is there some other gate?  Who has the authority to approve you?  Signature authority is with the PD chief, my understanding is that the local agent who handles permits has to fill/type them in before signature.  

Just trying to understand the gates/timeline between receiving notice of completion of the criminal history check and the receipt of permits.  

10 minutes ago, RobCo said:

What i mean by approved is exactly what the emails said. What I believe it means is that everything is ready to go, just have to wait until the locals contact you to pick them up

Thanks. It’s auto generated from the FARS system, like the other ones?  Or does it actually come from the locals?