Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

Seems to come from the same address as the FARS system. Looks like from going through the past posts it’s about 10-15 days from when the background check is completed to the “approval” email.   Then it seems it’s up to the local departments from there. I received a call last Monday asking to verify my employment they couldn’t get through my hr at work. I asked about timing and was told the 30 days doesn’t start until all required information is received. Including the employment verification. So now I’m waiting for the “approval” email.   

2 hours ago, Diddersen said:

Seems to come from the same address as the FARS system. Looks like from going through the past posts it’s about 10-15 days from when the background check is completed to the “approval” email.   Then it seems it’s up to the local departments from there. I received a call last Monday asking to verify my employment they couldn’t get through my hr at work. I asked about timing and was told the 30 days doesn’t start until all required information is received. Including the employment verification. So now I’m waiting for the “approval” email.   

The employment verification is just silly.  Totally ridiculous.  

The whole process is put in place to discourage law-abiding American citizens from exercising our Constitutional protected rights. The background checks I understand but the rest, the FID, the pistol permits are pointless. But its the govt, so it shouldnt surprise anyone. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

It’s definitely not 15 days after background check I got that email in February 6 and here we are still waiting on approval 

20 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

16 minutes ago, RobCo said:

The whole process is put in place to discourage law-abiding American citizens from exercising our Constitutional protected rights. The background checks I understand but the rest, the FID, the pistol permits are pointless. But its the govt, so it shouldnt surprise anyone. 

It’s New Jersey fn shit ass state

I received my approval email on 2/13 (received my background check completion email back on 12/30/19) for a handgun permit and I am still waiting for the call to pick up. I live in Dennis Township and go through State Police Woodbine barracks. Of the limited info I was able to get I was told that the permits sometimes pile up at the Buena barracks before being mailed to the Woodbine barracks. The trooper I spoke to said it usually takes about 7-10 days from time receiving approval email and my wait of almost 3 weeks is longer than usual. I’ll update once I finally get the call. Anyone else waiting this long?

Edited by CMP
Added information

1 hour ago, csap32 said:

I called the officer 2 weeks ago and nothing back

My first go around 2 years ago with Hamilton State police was interesting. Filled January 4th. I called after 30 days and whomever I spoke to said permit wasn’t  in. I called back 30 days later, told still not in. Called a third time with same answer. Fourth time after 90 days was told it was there and has been since February 5th. Permit was expired and I would have to file for extension. When I went to pick it up I spoke with the trooper and told him I called several times, he had no answer to why I was told they weren’t in but showed me the date written on the envelope when they called, with my number, and that they left a voicemail. Only problem was that they replaced the last 4 digits of my phone number with my social security number. So I’m not sure who they called. All I got from him was an OOPS with a shoulder shrug.

FARS worked out great for me this time. 28 days and I could see where things were at.  If you call them again always get the name of the person you spoke with and write it down for records. The next time after that  I ended up asking for the person in charge of permits and they would alway transfer my call.  It took just under 2 months. I think the guy answering the phone either doesn’t know or doesn’t care.

14 minutes ago, Tony13 said:

My first go around 2 years ago with Hamilton State police was interesting. Filled January 4th. I called after 30 days and whomever I spoke to said permit wasn’t  in. I called back 30 days later, told still not in. Called a third time with same answer. Fourth time after 90 days was told it was there and has been since February 5th. Permit was expired and I would have to file for extension. When I went to pick it up I spoke with the trooper and told him I called several times, he had no answer to why I was told they weren’t in but showed me the date written on the envelope when they called, with my number, and that they left a voicemail. Only problem was that they replaced the last 4 digits of my phone number with my social security number. So I’m not sure who they called. All I got from him was an OOPS with a shoulder shrug.

FARS worked out great for me this time. 28 days and I could see where things were at.  If you call them again always get the name of the person you spoke with and write it down for records. The next time after that  I ended up asking for the person in charge of permits and they would alway transfer my call.  It took just under 2 months. I think the guy answering the phone either doesn’t know or doesn’t care.

Funny thing is the officer told me I’ll have it by mid February lol

27 minutes ago, SalNorthBergen said:

Are you in North Bergen?

South bound brook 

2/18/20   Completed application online for FID and Handgun permit (2)

2/18  Both references answered the questionnaire and received the status update emails from the state

2/25  Fingerprinted at IdentoGo

2/28  Received a status update email from the state that criminal history check had been completed. Said I would be sent another email upon completion of the application processing.

It's been a whole week since the 2/28 email and it's started making me antsy. I live in Montville.

22 minutes ago, May20 said:

2/18  Both references answered the questionnaire and received the status update emails from the state

2/28  Received a status update email from the state that criminal history check had been completed. Said I would be sent another email upon completion of the application processing.

It's been a whole week since the 2/28 email and it's started making me antsy. I live in Montville.

That’s the part that seems to take 2-3 weeks. Same step I’m on. 

I got got that email on feb 14th. Then a call on feb 24th asking for an employment verification. Now I’m waiting. 

Just now, Diddersen said:

That’s the part that seems to take 2-3 weeks. Same step I’m on. 

I got got that email on feb 14th. Then a call on feb 24th asking for an employment verification. Now I’m waiting. 

Thanks for the info. I guess I should wait another week before freaking out. 

15 hours ago, May20 said:

Update! The approval email was received this morning at 6:01 am! 18 days since application. Not bad! Now I have to wait for the local police department to contact me before I can collect the FID &P2P's.

50 minutes ago, May20 said:

Update! The approval email was received this morning at 6:01 am! 18 days since application. Not bad! Now I have to wait for the local police department to contact me before I can collect the FID &P2P's.

Damnit I’m jealous. That’s awesome. Hopefully mine comes back soon. 

Drives my mind crazy... if it’s an automated system how can it vary so much? I’m in my 30s. Other than silly traffic violations (that was 10+ years ago) I’ve never had any law issues. Seems like it should be cut and dry. 

Wayne has been really good about this.  I submitted requests for P2P's through the system.  Got an email a week later that my background check was complete.  Got a call from the PD a week after that to say that they had not received replies from my references, so I contacted them to sort out some email address glitches.  Just got an email this morning saying everything was approved, so I'm hoping for a call from the PD within the next day or two to tell me to come down and pick up the permits.

It's certainly not the same as living in a free state, but not bad for NJ.  

As previously reported, I received the approval email from NJportal on Saturday (3/7). There has been no word from my local PD (Montville) yet. I thought it would be pretty quick as the local PD seemed to be on top of it. They emailed me the day after my fingerprinting asking me when I was going to get fingerprinting done. Said it was time sensitive and they would have to go looking for the fingerprints once they were in the system. This kind of led me to believe they would move quickly.

Should I email the records clerk to ask how soon I can expect the FID & P2Ps? Or give it a few more days to see if they contact me?

UPDATE

Never mind. I've just received the phone call from my local PD. My FID and P2Ps are ready for pickup! It seems good news come shortly after I post in this thread!

It's been 22 days since the online application. Not bad at all! :icon_e_biggrin:

3 hours ago, May20 said:

As previously reported, I received the approval email from NJportal on Saturday (3/7). There has been no word from my local PD (Montville) yet. I thought it would be pretty quick as the local PD seemed to be on top of it. They emailed me the day after my fingerprinting asking me when I was going to get fingerprinting done. Said it was time sensitive and they would have to go looking for the fingerprints once they were in the system. This kind of led me to believe they would move quickly.

Should I email the records clerk to ask how soon I can expect the FID & P2Ps? Or give it a few more days to see if they contact me?

UPDATE

Never mind. I've just received the phone call from my local PD. My FID and P2Ps are ready for pickup! It seems good news come shortly after I post in this thread!

It's been 22 days since the online application. Not bad at all! :icon_e_biggrin:

Maybe if I just keep posting I’ll have the same luck. I started on Jan 25th. 

• Agree 1

I am with you csap32. I did mine on 12/24/19, had my references and background check completed before the New Year, received my approval email from the NJ Portal on 2/13 at 6:01am and I am still waiting for the call by my local State Police barracks. Have called several times and all I've gotten is "we will let you know when it comes in".

8 minutes ago, plode said:

I finally got my permits in.  Went to Bass Pro in AC to buy a 22 pistol.  Currently on 3 days of waiting for the NICS(so much for the "I" part of that acronym...)

I thought the NICS was supposed to take just 30 seconds.... :unsure:

21 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Does the system email confirmation of application?  I just went through and finished filling out the references, clicked submit and went back to the first page without a confirmation message.

It did when i completed mine. 

Thank you for using the Firearms Application and Registration Service to submit the S.T.S. 033 application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit at NJ.gov.

Next Steps:
  • Reference Feedback - For timely processing, it is important for your local police department to receive the feedback from the two references listed in the application.