Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

6 minutes ago, BK Panther said:

It did when i completed mine. 

Thank you for using the Firearms Application and Registration Service to submit the S.T.S. 033 application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit at NJ.gov.

Next Steps:
  • Reference Feedback - For timely processing, it is important for your local police department to receive the feedback from the two references listed in the application.

Crap.  Guess I have to go back and do it again.

Just now, Diddersen said:

Do all the approved e-mails come at 6:01? Maybe I can stop checking every 5 minutes if I don’t get it before I leave for work.    

I wonder if they will blame any delays on the COVID - 19 situation 

So did mine.

2 minutes ago, Diddersen said:

Do all the approved e-mails come at 6:01? Maybe I can stop checking every 5 minutes if I don’t get it before I leave for work.    

I wonder if they will blame any delays on the COVID - 19 situation 

I got emails all over the place.  The final approval email came about 4:30pm.   This was Monday of this week.

On second thought....I got the approval mail from records person at my PD at 4:30pm on Monday, I got the "your permits are done" from the far system at 6:03am the next day.

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I got emails all over the place.  The final approval email came about 4:30pm.   This was Monday of this week.

On second thought....I got the approval mail from records person at my PD at 4:30pm on Monday, I got the "your permits are done" from the far system at 6:03am the next day.

How long between criminal histor check complete and approval for established people?  Does approval lie with the state, local CLEO, or local agent?

After approval they still need to type out the items and get them signed, right?

On 3/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, CMP said:

I am with you csap32. I did mine on 12/24/19, had my references and background check completed before the New Year, received my approval email from the NJ Portal on 2/13 at 6:01am and I am still waiting for the call by my local State Police barracks. Have called several times and all I've gotten is "we will let you know when it comes in".

If you deal with a State Police barracks, I have found there are two additional steps to the process.  Once you've gotten the approval and they type up your FID and/or P2P,  a trooper has to make the run to West Trenton to pick up the paperwork.  They tend to pick it up in batches, not when every piece of paperwork has been completed.  That run usually is once a week, sometimes longer.  When it gets to the barracks, it goes to the barracks commander's desk for him/her to sign..............when he/she gets to it.  They are not there every day.

This has been my experience and what has been related to me by troopers who have been assigned to the barracks I deal with.

• Agree 1

On 3/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, CMP said:

I am with you csap32. I did mine on 12/24/19, had my references and background check completed before the New Year, received my approval email from the NJ Portal on 2/13 at 6:01am and I am still waiting for the call by my local State Police barracks. Have called several times and all I've gotten is "we will let you know when it comes in".

thanks for the info dilbert1967. I heard similar from my FFL although he told me that process you describe usually takes about 7-10 days for our local barracks from when receiving the approval email. I am going on 30 days now. Just hoping it didn’t get lost somehow as I have a $1000 Sig Sauer sitting in my FFLs safe that I would like to have at home with me instead.

2 minutes ago, CMP said:

thanks for the info dilbert1967. I heard similar from my FFL although he told me that process you describe usually takes about 7-10 days for our local barracks from when receiving the approval email. I am going on 30 days now. Just hoping it didn’t get lost somehow as I have a $1000 Sig Sauer sitting in my FFLs safe that I would like to have at home with me instead.

Are you getting the X5 Legion? I bought one last night. I had to wait until today to pick it up since the NICS was very slow last night. It is a thing of beauty! Hope you will get your permit very soon.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:29 PM, RustyShackleford said:

Here's my situation in Pompton Lakes:

12/5/19 - Submitted application via FARS, references contacted via email, references replied same day.
12/13/19 - Fingerprinted at IdentGo
12/16/19 - After still no confirmation email of reference responses, called and spoke with PLPD Records. They have reference replies, waiting on NJSP criminal check, say I don't need to do anything.
1/16/20 - Still did not receive reference email completion confirmation, or criminal background check completion.

I thought these status update emails come from the state, could the town be holding up the process in any way?

Update 3/13/2020 - Still no email confirmations for references or criminal background check invest completion. Called NJSP firearms invest unit, advised to to call local PD. Spoke with local PD records, my application is now with the detective unit. I don't know why I'm not getting those emails, but my email address is correct, i received the fingerprint application form that way. Either way, the application is moving along, though we are now at 3 months.

Update:  Applied for handgun purchase permits on 2/27. Got word a week later that my background check was completed.  Got a call from the sergeant a week later saying they had not heard from my references.  Turned out there was an email glitch.  Got that resolved, and received a note last Monday, 3/9 to say that everything was complete, and another note the next day from my PD saying to come down and pick up the papers.  Took just 19 days start to finish.

So after all that, I went to pick up my transfer yesterday, and what did they do?  You guessed it, another background check (NICS)!  And with NICS backed up (as is being discussed in another thread), I couldn't even take it home with me.  What a load of BS!

Unreal,   I called yesterday. Was told fingerprints weren’t in yet. Asked about the thirty days. Got laughed at. Was told “ good luck with that. I hope you’re not in a hurry. “

I called Trenton. Told me everything was good on their end. I contacted my senator. Idk what else to do

2/26 Submitted application for pistol permits. (references submitted questionnaire same day)

3/5 Email stating background check complete.

3/16 Email stating application was approved.

3/17 Received a call from local PD permits were ready. (Date on permits were 3/16)

On 3/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, Krdshrk said:

NJ has now switched to the Firearms Registration and Application System (FARS).

https://www.njportal.com/njsp/fars

Instead of applying for your FID or Pistol Permits at your township PD, you'll go directly to the online system now.  

Step 1: log on to https://www.njportal.com/njsp/fars
Step 2: Enter your Township's ORI Number (You will have to contact your local PD to obtain this information.  Some may list it on their township website)
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: You must appear at your police department to pay for your initial Firearms Identification Card (FID Card) and/or Pistol Purchase Permits. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJSC 13:54.1.4.

* You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
* Once your application is complete, a station representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit documents.
* Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background application. 
* The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well the best email addresses for you and your references.

Edit:  If you go through the NJSP - here's the list of ORI Numbers:  https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/fars.shtml

Do you need 2 human referrals for the pistol permits?

Or is that just for the FID card?