Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

1 hour ago, Lakota said:

Nope, They get an email sent to them with a link to follow and a small online form of info to fill out and submit and that's it.

Thats interesting.

I know that they used to call at some point. 

I was a referral for someone else.  The NJSP called me.  It was kinda funny because my buddy happened to be standing right next to me. 

5 hours ago, deerpark said:

Thats interesting.

I know that they used to call at some point. 

I was a referral for someone else.  The NJSP called me.  It was kinda funny because my buddy happened to be standing right next to me. 

I’m not aware of them ever calling; my experience is it was done by letter. 

1 hour ago, JHZR2 said:

I’m not aware of them ever calling; my experience is it was done by letter. 

Absolutely. 

This was back in 2012-2013, post Sandy Hook gun grab panic. 

As a matter of fact, they called both of his references.  Because the other guy called him a few minutes later and said they just called him. 

I had planned to apply for more permits next month. By my estimations, that timing would have allowed for the new to come in at about the same time as current expiring and/or being used.

With the current craziness going on I just applied for them now. One reference already submitted; I'm confident the other will be done by the end of business today.

3 hours ago, kc17 said:

I had planned to apply for more permits next month. By my estimations, that timing would have allowed for the new to come in at about the same time as current expiring and/or being used.

With the current craziness going on I just applied for them now. One reference already submitted; I'm confident the other will be done by the end of business today.

Wait, the references have to submit something as well?

The references receive an email with a link to a survey asking them questions about the applicant. This replaces the phone calls they would receive from the po-po.

I've never been on that side of the fence, but from what I understand it is just a few questions and the whole process is less than a minute or two.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, CMP said:

thanks for the info dilbert1967. I heard similar from my FFL although he told me that process you describe usually takes about 7-10 days for our local barracks from when receiving the approval email. I am going on 30 days now. Just hoping it didn’t get lost somehow as I have a $1000 Sig Sauer sitting in my FFLs safe that I would like to have at home with me instead.

Seven to ten days is very good.  With FARS, my total wait time from the moment I complete the application on line to the time I have the permits in hand is about 3 1/2 months.  I deal with the Red Lion barracks in Southampton.

I beat the 3.5 month mark as my NICs check just came back this afternoon. Total wait time of 87 days. In 2012/2013 I waited almost 6 months and heard of some people waiting much longer during that time, so comparatively speaking I guess 3 months isn’t too bad. 

The Sargent I spoke with at my local PD basically said the same thing. I had already applied for a FID and he said it was still going to be processed. If I wanted a handgun  permit he recommended holding off/halting on the process until the order was lifted. I told him since I wasn't interested in a handgun permit and had not applied for one I was grateful for the information but I would like my purchaser id to continue the process.

Has anyone submitted a fars check recently?  I submitted on March 16th and the state police background check is still not even completed.  Normally it's a few day turn around for me. Reached out to my local pd and they are waiting on the state police for it still.  Wasnt sure if this system too is just this backed up or what. 

5 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

I submitted for a few P2P's on April 4.  References responded but no other updates.

Yea same with mine. The background check is normally in quick but never got updated. References were done but that's all. Makes me wonder if they aren't even processing them at this point. 

43 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

I've been waiting a week now for my NICS to come back. I'm sure everything is pretty backed up.

I put in my NICS on Monday and was told it would be a few days. This is not good news....

On 4/14/2020 at 9:52 PM, chris327 said:

Has anyone submitted a fars check recently?  I submitted on March 16th and the state police background check is still not even completed.  Normally it's a few day turn around for me. Reached out to my local pd and they are waiting on the state police for it still.  Wasnt sure if this system too is just this backed up or what. 

I put in for 2 pistol permits on 3/12 and have yet to hear anything other than that my references submitted their stuff.  Hopewell Township, Mercer County.

42 minutes ago, chris327 said:

Thanks guys. So it seems to be a common theme I guess. Dont do the background check for the fars system. Now nobody can buy pistols  unless they had permits. And no new finds out there. So they got what they wanted and less guns being sold legally to legal firearms owners. 

FIFY

I picked up my FID today. I started the process March 13th so a month and 2 days later the deed was done. I did not get any handgun permits just a straight purchaser id I am not sure if that had any impact on how fast my id was processed.

1 hour ago, CF1782 said:

I picked up my FID today. I started the process March 13th so a month and 2 days later the deed was done. I did not get any handgun permits just a straight purchaser id I am not sure if that had any impact on how fast my id was processed.

Issuing agency?

Just now, CMJeepster said:

Issuing agency?

Hawthorne PD