Krdshrk

Firearms ID/Pistol Permits system switches to the NJ FARS

After 5 months , 2 senators, and an attorney I finally got the email that I was approved. Came in Tuesday morning. Now waiting for the call to go pick my card and pistol permits. Getting closer to the finish line. I’ll probably call the department tomorrow if I don’t hear from them. 

18 hours ago, Diddersen said:

After 5 months , 2 senators, and an attorney I finally got the email that I was approved. Came in Tuesday morning. Now waiting for the call to go pick my card and pistol permits. Getting closer to the finish line. I’ll probably call the department tomorrow if I don’t hear from them. 

Isn't that a great way to exercise a constitutional right...sigh

On 4/15/2020 at 9:26 AM, May20 said:

I put in my NICS on Monday and was told it would be a few days. This is not good news....

Update: My luck continues! Every time I complain something on this thread, it would come through within a day from the posting. My NICS came back this morning and the firearm is ready to be picked up! 

How long have you guys needed to wait for IdentoGO to send your fingerprints to NJSP for an initial FID?

It's been a little over a week and it still says "Your enrollment has been received and is being processed."  

I don't want to put any departments on blast in case they're bending the rules, but mine has been really good so far. They emailed me the mental health check instead of me having to come in and sign it. So once they get the fingerprints I will be all set. 

Woodbridge pd here. Applied on 3/26. References were sent out immediately and returned promptly with confirmation. When I called the clerk she said that I have to wait for an email about mental health consent. I thought I had already done that. Is the st 066 included in the application. I kind of forgot since the last time I bought was by paper application and it took exactly 30 days.....

I paid $21 with 5 permits 

Keyport PD. Applied for permits on 4/13, references were submitted that day. Was initially told I needed to come in for the mental health request form but when I went two days later the municipal building was closed due to the pandemic. After contacting the admin again, I was told I now didn’t need to come in and NJSP was “accepting FARS only” but there may be delays due to the current situation. Background check came back this morning (5/6). My employer has not been contacted yet (which they always are). The person I deal with at the PD has always been very helpful and responsive over the years, so no complaints here.  

On 4/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, wreckless said:

Isn't that a great way to exercise a constitutional right...sigh

So latest update: finally got in touch with someone at my local barracks that was nice enough to explain more than “we don’t know when it’ll be done”.   He told me if you have to go through a state police barrack they all get printed at West Trenton and sent over. I finally got in touch with someone there on June 9th and was told my card had been printed and was on its way to my local barracks. 8 weeks after the approval e-mail.  I still don’t have it yet  

On 6/12/2020 at 8:59 AM, wreckless said:

Lots of times they don’t mail stuff from HQ to the barracks. They hold on to it until a Trooper from that barracks stops by to pick it up. It goes by pony express.

Finally picked it up. 142 days from start to finish. Pretty exhausting process. 

Applied for 2 handgun permits on May 24th. Within 18 minutes, they sent me confirmation emails that both my references had submitted their forms. Haven't heard a peep since. So today is 23 days since I filed for them. Local PD says I will be emailed when they are available to pickup so we'll see. It was about 3 weeks overall for my initial FID and handgun permit.

6/24 - Background check complete. Waiting for final approval.

7/7 - Application approved at 6:07am, local PD emailed me at 3:48pm to let me know it is ready for pick-up any day, Monday-Friday 9am-3:30pm.

Hi,

I just completed the FARS system this morning successfully, got instant email confirmation and my 2 references got their forms are both submitted.

However, there was NO mention at all about a mental health form!? Do I need to call my PD and fill out something out? I dont want this process held up so I am just wondering about this?

Thoughts??

4 minutes ago, gunnarsport said:

Hi,

I just completed the FARS system this morning successfully, got instant email confirmation and my 2 references got their forms are both submitted.

However, there was NO mention at all about a mental health form!? Do I need to call my PD and fill out something out? I dont want this process held up so I am just wondering about this?

Thoughts??

Nope not anymore - It's all done via FARS.

1 hour ago, gunnarsport said:

What is the average turnaround time for permits with the FARS online system?? I am in Robbinsville (Mercer Co) and its been 15 days.

Thanks

Used to be around 5 weeks before COVID. Then it turned into 3-5 months. No idea what it is like now. Seems as though every organization is using COVID as an excuse for being inefficient.

3 hours ago, gunnarsport said:

What is the average turnaround time for permits with the FARS online system?? I am in Robbinsville (Mercer Co) and its been 15 days.

Thanks

1 hour ago, jasonx said:

Used to be around 5 weeks before COVID. Then it turned into 3-5 months. No idea what it is like now. Seems as though every organization is using COVID as an excuse for being inefficient.

Took me 78 days in my township, but we have 800 pending apps in our system...  The NJ Background check part took 30 days.  This was submitted back on June 1st.  It may be even longer now.

Another outstanding job by West Milford PD

Application submitted on Wednesday 08/29, which was a Saturday.

Both my references received an email within a few minutes of my submitted application.  Both completed the questionnaire immediately.

On Tuesday, 9/2 email received after Criminal History Check was completed

On Wednesday, 9/9 received an email stating permits approved... Picked them up later that evening.

11 days from application submittal to pick up with a holiday weekend in between! 

Never have had an issue with West Milford PD in completing permits. Another plus is that you can pick up permits/FID card 24 hours a day....

56 minutes ago, Batt52 said:

Another outstanding job by West Milford PD

Application submitted on Wednesday 08/29, which was a Saturday.

Both my references received an email within a few minutes of my submitted application.  Both completed the questionnaire immediately.

On Tuesday, 9/2 email received after Criminal History Check was completed

On Wednesday, 9/9 received an email stating permits approved... Picked them up later that evening.

11 days from application submittal to pick up with a holiday weekend in between! 

Never have had an issue with West Milford PD in completing permits. Another plus is that you can pick up permits/FID card 24 hours a day....

holy crap that's fast right now.  my background check part from the state took 30 days exactly...

Just want to make sure I have this all correct.  I filled out the online form, my 2 references completed their forms and I received the confirmation emails that they did so.  I went to IdentoGo this week and got fingerprinted.  Must I now go to the police station and pay the $5 or whatever it is fee?  There has not been any option to pay it up to this point.  I will double check but I thought it said they only take money orders.  Seems kind of silly, you think I would just be able to pay by credit card online.  Im in Hudson County.

1 hour ago, WillieBeamen said:

Just want to make sure I have this all correct.  I filled out the online form, my 2 references completed their forms and I received the confirmation emails that they did so.  I went to IdentoGo this week and got fingerprinted.  Must I now go to the police station and pay the $5 or whatever it is fee?  There has not been any option to pay it up to this point.  I will double check but I thought it said they only take money orders.  Seems kind of silly, you think I would just be able to pay by credit card online.  Im in Hudson County.

This is the state.  They won't do what's actually do the most modern or efficient thing.

You'll get notified by your P.D. to come pick up.  At that time, you'll need to pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillieBeamen said:

Im in Hudson County.

If you are talking about the initial FID or pistols permits it would depend on your local PD. The first time I used the FARS system I had to make the trip to the local PD to pay the fee for the pistol permit. Now that has changed and our local PD has a link on the township’s website to pay pistol permit and Initial FID card fees. So the way I understand it is those document payments are separate from the NJSP Portal. Contact your local PD to see how they accept the payments

• Like 1

Just now, FXDX said:

If you are talking about the initial FID or pistols permits it would depend on your local PD. The first time I used the FARS system I had to make the trip to the local PD to pay the fee for the pistol permit. Now that has changed and our local PD has a link on the township’s website to pay pistol permit and Initial FID card fees. So the way I understand it is those document payments are separate from the NJSP Portal. Contact your local PD to see how they accept the payments

Yes, initial FID.  Thanks, I will call them to confirm about the payment.  Just thought I'd ask on here first as government employees are not always reliable answering phones, giving correct information, speaking courteously to people who have specific questions, using proper grammar, ah I could go all day.

I received an authoritative answer on the expiration dates of the new electronic handgun permits.

The permits are issued for an initial 90 days and will automatically renew when the first 90 days expire, for a total of 180 days.

What is still not clear is whether there's a mechanism for a LE department to stop the renewal for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You’re waiting on the organization you filed with.  There are two FARS links, one for SP and one if you have a local PD.  

in my case, I use the perryville SP barracks and it’s been well over 2 months waiting on them.  My references and crim check cleared in exactly 9 days back in Sept.  When I called the barracks, they don’t even answer the line.  There is s recording that says it could take several week for processing.  When I stopped in there last week, the trooper at the desk didn’t even call the FA trooper or look in the pile.  He just said wait for a call and said “ have a nice day”...the polite way of saying...go pound sand.