jm1827

Natural Gas Conversion- BBQ

Time to replace my gas grill so I was thinking about going with natural gas.  I have a gas dryer right by the deck so the run is simple.

Any suggestions on a solid, reliable make/model?   I do a fair amount of BBQ so I would prefer a decent sized, quality unit. 

I had done this in my last house and I bought a propane BBQ and then purchased a conversion kit, ran flex copper tube, shut off inside, etc.  

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Any suggestions on a solid, reliable make/model?  

From past experience, many Nat. Gas BBQs are decent quality, mainly because they know people want something better if they're hooking up to Nat gas.

35 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

I had done this in my last house and I bought a propane BBQ and then purchased a conversion kit, ran flex copper tube, shut off inside, etc.  

I did something similar. First one I bought was a Nat. Gas model, which was 2X the propane models in cost. When that one finally rotted out (don't they all), I decided to go with a propane model and hook it up to Nat Gas. All I needed to do was remove the regulator and take out the orifices in the burners for it to run on Nat Gas, since propane runs at higher pressures.

In my current house, when I moved in, I considered getting a Nat Gas BBQ, since I had a gas line very close at my pool heater. But, I decided on a decent propane model. Reason one, portability, if I wanted to move it to a different area on the patio. And second, I have a propane generator and a propane shop heater that uses 20 lb. tanks, so I already have extra tanks available. Switching out tanks is no big deal.

1 hour ago, Heronimo42 said:

what's your budget?  I went thru this went I built a house last year.  I did a cooktop gas bbq built into an island, but researched a ton of makes/models.

Not sure on a budget, we have my budget and the wife's budget and the actual number is somewhere in between.  I was figuring on at least $1K for a decent unit.

It will be on my back deck so I don't know how much I can build out.  

If you go Weber, get Summit or Genesis series, nothing below.

I replaced a Vermont Castings natural gas grill with a Weber Summit S-470, Spent a little more than I ever thought I would on a grill, but could not be happier with it.

I have installed Lynx, Napoleon, and Viking for customers and don't think they are 2-4 times better in quality compared to the price jump.

17 hours ago, Brisco said:

I replaced a Vermont Castings natural gas grill with a Weber Summit S-470, Spent a little more than I ever thought I would on a grill, but could not be happier with it.

I have installed Lynx, Napoleon, and Viking for customers and don't think they are 2-4 times better in quality compared to the price jump.

Thanks, I will take a look at each.  

Nat gas is the way to go for sure. I got a lightly used Weber Genesis Gold with a side burner on Craigslist. I ran the gas line under the deck to a spot that I could swing the grill around for a Summer location away from the sliding door to a Winter location in front of the sliding door to the deck. We do almost all frying on the side burner outside so no grease in the kitchen. Wish I had done this when I built the deck thirty years ago.

You really can’t go wrong with a Weber. I have a 10+ year old Genesis that I love, and is still going strong. It’s on its original set of burners. I’ll replace them when they go bad, and keep it running. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, Brisco said:

Yep, the Spirit line is made in China.

My Genesis 320 has been going for 12 years and looks like it came out of the box.  They changed their mind and put the controls back at front instead of hogging up the side table.